Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • mmm, beef stew – is it wrong of me to ……
  • marsdenman
    Free Member

make up the beef stock using the wine instead of water……..
    I’m guessing half a pint (its only a stew for 2) of red will be overkill but hey, what do the STW Masterchefs reckon…..

AndyP
    Free Member

sounds about 100000% of right to me.

druidh
    Free Member

I thought you were going to ask about using roadkill cat instead of beef…

mrsflash
    Free Member

go for it.

joe1983
    Free Member

Half and half – can be a bit too rich with just wine I think.

tinker-belle
    Free Member

Sounds prefect, and chuck in a block or two of dark chocolate about 30 minutes before serving – trust me… it’s gorgeous

and I’m not a chocolate person

davey_clayton
    Free Member

I find stews a bit rich made with just wine. If you use a tough cut of meat like shin or skirt, dust it with seasoned flour, brown it in a frying pan, then braise it in nothing but water (with seasoning) and veg for 6-7 hours on a low heat, the gravy you get is amazing. No stock needed. If you’re going to do a quick stew then I wouldn’t put all that wine in as it will be practically still be wine when it comes out.

Celery is essential.

Surfr
    Free Member

I’d go 50/50 stock/wine + seasoning

marsdenman
    Free Member

<returns from slicing and dicing>

and, the result of the STW survey is………..

50/50 …….. 😆
    <toddles off, back to the kitchen>

A mans work is never done…… 😆

Tinker-belle -interesting thought that…. i’d get shot though- there’s (meant to be..) a points counting system in place ChezMM at the mo – and that includes me……. 🙄

jimmy

throw some guiness in. Its good for you, apparently

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

DAvey is right…Shin or leg is the cut. I put a nice dark ale in to my stews.

Pook

put a banana in. They’re good for you too

Cooroo
    Free Member

Ah the old points counting system – me and Mr Cooroo are on it too. It does work though… Just measure that wine!

woody2000

Bit of marmite too, omnomnomnomnomnomnom! 🙂

Filthy
    Free Member

what tinker-belle said…

needs chocolate in stews, works really well in chilli too, mmm might have to knock up a choclate chilli for tea now

marsdenman
    Free Member

<returns from kitchen>
    ok, so, that’s bubbling away nicely now lets see……..

Cooroo – yep. works if you stick to it, we’re both bliddy useless though……. 🙄

CFH – dunno the cut be we’re lucky – 2 great butchers in the village…..
    as for ale – that was the recipe but there’s none in the cellar so had to resort to plan B….. speaking of which……..
    Glass of rioja anyone? had to open it for the recipe you see, seems churlish to just leave the rest standing…. and it will take the edge off these Quickbooks tutorials……

Jamie
    Free Member

*cough* fat club *cough* 😉

marsdenman
    Free Member

terrible cough that Jamie, 😀
    was going to include my ‘fatclub’ status with above comments, instead I decided to wait and see how long it took, and who it would be that would point it out… you win 😉

Have not had a drop of the hard stuff yet but, there’s a bottle or two of Peroni in the fridge….. 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about it, I plan on getting hammered tomorrow. 1 step forward and 2 steps back etc etc :mrgreen:

marsdenman
    Free Member

not at all worried, just frustrated with myself and lack of willpower……….
    now, it must be peroni time….. 😀

marsdenman
    Free Member

well, despite my best efforts to kill it (let it ‘simmer’ dry……… 😳 ) a change of pan, more liquid and another 2 hrs on a very low light and you only have to look at the beef and it all but falls apart….. 😆

Hairychested
    Free Member

Drink the wine, flash it with vodka and add some port to balance things out. Your cooking will improve no end 😉

marsdenman
    Free Member

Hairychested – now, there’s an idea – had a drunk the wine yesterday, instead of disappearing to the attic to work I may not have burnt it to begin with….
    MrsMM finished work uber late last night so the stew remains untouched….. for now…… we do have port knocking about so i’ll think about that 😀

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘mmm, beef stew – is it wrong of me to ……’ is closed to new replies.