Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • MkII Golf GTI – Would I regret it?….
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Used to occasionaly see one of the square headlighted versions – I think it used the supercharged engine that later appeared in the Corrado??

TrentSteel
    Free Member

Handle like a dream and the easiest car to park at speed I’ve ever driven, however is a twenty year old car going to start up ok on a cold february morning day in day out. Its not garaged so personally I wouldn’t.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Had a G plate 8v – loads of fun – loud and fast(ish) great handling for a fwd – big grins around and if I had the spare cash would probably have another – that said my Porsche 944 was far superior in every way (except possibly passing MoTs and vales staying within the engine sort of way) – My current Citron C2 vts – is on paper similar to the GTI but for some reason has less grin factor
    Basically buy it will make you smile

Naranjada
    Free Member

nice cars but have some minor issues

synchromesh going into 2nd fails
    rear calipers are cak – replace/upgrade with mk3s IIRC
    in very cold weather if the handbrake cable has had water ingress where it splits to go to either caliper, it will freeze and you can’t get the handbrake off without a hair dryer; or wait until spring

pretty well made overall but not particularly quick

stylish
    Free Member

had an 88 8v “campaign” (metallic black paint, blaupunkt stereo, 16v interior, different alloys,) and loved it, kept it for 7 years, did 110000 miles in it, and had to replace the rear calipers, and numerous sets of tires and discs and pads, the most fun i ever had with a car.
    brought a tear to my eye the day it was driven away, and i still see it now, although it is now driven by some little bugger in a hoody! but he keeps it clean and tidy, and has left it as it was.

if it came up for sale, i would chance a period of silence from the wife to own it again…………….

jools182
    Free Member

rkk01 – Member

Used to occasionaly see one of the square headlighted versions – I think it used the supercharged engine that later appeared in the Corrado??

Golf Rallye

trickydisco
    Free Member

I had 2 mkII (8v) gti’s. Absolutely loved them. Had an old D plate that went s*t off a shovel. Extremely reliable and then got another around 5 years later (a g plater)

always had a soft spot for them. Very solid cars IMO

dobo
    Free Member

i had one for many years, loved it but it had its fair share of issues.
    make sure the cam belt is in good nick, or your engines toast, if the gear box feels cack dont buy it. the standard brake calipers were crap and needed atention. doors might have dropped, exahust might be on its way out. if its not a full service history it more than likley clocked. shocks might need sorting, just check over the service history and see whats been done.
    fun car though, better than my dull astra i have now

BadlyWiredDog

rear calipers are cak – replace/upgrade with mk3s IIRC

Mk4 is the way to go, Mk3s only marginally better than the originals fwiw.

Naranjada
    Free Member

i had a mint pearl green 89 rallye for a couple of years with some tasty engine upgrades …it was quick for a pre 90s car but the cable change gearbox was ruddy awful. first to second was a terrible change; you get off the line like a scalded cat and not only do you have a loooooooong throw into second, you’re probably gonna catch fourth with your semi-useless right gearchange arm! the combo of a whacking great cone air filter and an upgraded jabba ‘charger made the most incredible sound on gear change though …skreeeeeeeeeechwhoosh – very addictive, i rode with the sun roof open most of the time to hear it more clearly.

the mk2 8v or 16v gti is a much better everyday car.

starsh78
    Free Member

You can get one of these for a bit more money 🙂

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

I’ve always wanted a Mk2 big bumper…made do with a succession of Polos, but never a G40 unfortunately 🙁

WTF
    Free Member

I currently own my second 16v and the first one I had for about seven years which ran faultlessly but was starting to get rusty at the edges and my second which I have had for about six years is a collection of parts from the first and all the better models.
    Oak green ,big bumper with G60 brakes,G60 leather door cards,Mk3 recaros fitted and chromolux tinted windows.
    Rust will be the main thing to be aware of as mechanics are cheap and easy to replace and there are several usual suspects to look out for that has been mentioned already.
    Go to ClubGTI.com for a lot of info.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Funny, I started this thread a while back, now got the money to build the garage to keep it in & am waiting planning permission so I can finally get a ‘toy’ again. Don’t get me wrong, I drive much faster cars every day, but I still want another MK11 16v, fun car at sensible speeds, newer cars are relatively dull at legal speeds.
    Do it, or have you already done it as the car in the link is now sold?

MrNutt
    Free Member

here’s my couple of Golfs:

GTI 8v

CL

sorry folks Zedsdead has “dibs” on them, I was looking over the GTI yesterday and I’m in two minds to let it go (don’t worry Zed, I’m a man of my word) its a gurt lush, the previous owner was a 57yr old accountant! 😀

ahwiles
    Free Member

Mk2?

pfft!

nah.

MrNutt
    Free Member

huh?

ahwiles
    Free Member

a mk2 is just an old golf – you can get a newer one for very similar money.

if i wanted an old classic golf, i’d get another mk1…

MrNutt
    Free Member

but the newer ones = less fun, have you seen the prices of mk1’s now?

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m not allowed to look.

MrNutt
    Free Member

heh heh heh

PJM1974
    Free Member

How about a Golf Limited?

vdubber67
    Free Member

Awesome cars. Had two, an early and a late. Both 16valvers.

One standard, one slammed to the floor and painted in yellow filler primer with a chequered flag roof (built by Danny Allen, the chap who built the show winning Orange Mk1)

Get one. God I want another one now.

🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘MkII Golf GTI – Would I regret it?….’ is closed to new replies.