Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • MK7 Golf – Can you fit one bike in the boot?
  • tinybits
    Free Member

Wheels off, seat down, will a FS fit in the boot or am I living in fantasy world again? Looking at getting a GTD as my next company car (it’s only me 95% of the time, I don’t need anything bigger) but want to haul my bike around out of site ready for after work rides. Obviously as I have not yet ordered one, I can’t go to the car to check!

Drac

I could in the Mk V so should be fine but not what I would call out of sight as the parcel shelf was off.

funkybaj
    Free Member

Would be a doddle surely. As above, I’ve had 3 in the back of my Mk V with wheels off and the seats down.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrmo
    Free Member

considering i can get a bike, wheels off saddle up, in the back of the current generation polo, I would be astounded if in a bigger car you couldn’t do the same. You will have to drop the back seats of the car. If you need to keep the back seats of the car up i would be surprised if it fits, could just manage with my previous octavia and that has a markedly bigger boot than a golf.

globalti
    Free Member

With the seatpost out the frame and wheels wil fit in the boot with the parcel shelf covering them. Far preferable to a roof or boot rack!

NigE5
    Free Member

I think no, not in just the boot space alone despite the boot being bigger than the MK6, 3 month wait for new Golf built to order.

jonnyb1972
    Free Member

I can get a size large 29er in mine, you just have to put it in at an angle 🙂

andypaul99
    Free Member

i can fit my xtc 29 in the boot of my mk7 se, but i removed the bars, forks, seatpost and wheels to do it. it didnt matter much to me as i was driving across europe and didnt want the bike showing for security but for a short trip would be a pain id imagine, you can get a bike in with front wheel off just with one of the split fold seats down no probs though

easygirl

With seats down, no problems at all, go for it 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

How big to people think bikes are!? I’d be annoyed if I couldn’t get 4 in there! I get 2 in my mk4 just with the front wheels out.

Sam

If by “out of site” you mean 1. sight, and 2. seats upright and boot cover on, I doubt it. Maybe go to a VW dealer and try it?

njee20
    Free Member

Aah, I see, I read it as car seats down, but do you mean saddle down on the bike? I suspect you’ll be pushing it there. You’ll be able to do it with the seats down (probably just the larger half) with the parcel shelf in, a dark sheet on the rest of it will mean it’s pretty incognito, but not totally hidden.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

With the bac seat down, i could easily get 4 in my Mk3.
    With the back seat up, it was possible to get one in the boot. As cars are getting bigger, you ought to be able to. Go try in a showroom (but make sure your bike is clean!)

tinybits
    Free Member

Yes sorry, site = sight and I meant with the bike seat down, car seats up.

Not too sure how pleased vw would be with me chuckling a muddy bike in the boot in the showroom! Yes I know there’s a wait, it’ll be September befor I get it anyway.

mrmo
    Free Member

It does depend on the bike though. Big bikes, shock horror, take up more space than little bikes.

an XS will fit in a much smaller boot than a XXL.

Drac

MrMo earlier today.

VanMan
    Free Member

If it is only you most of the time why not get a VW caddy?

tinybits
    Free Member

Ok, MrMo, it’s a large 2009 Giant Anthem X1. It’s got an 80mm stem and 690mm bars. It’s got a reverb so saddle goes down 125mm, and it’s Orange.

What’s the answer please?

Or was it I was just trying to get some real world opinions as parkers don’t seem to cover this in their reviews.

mrmo
    Free Member

Mock if you want 🙂

large IMO is going to be a struggle. with the seats up. i had a large Top Fuel and took a bit of faffing to get in the boot of an octavia. length of bike v width of boot. had a Mk6 golf as a hire car for work and had to drop the seats to get it in.

NigE5
    Free Member

I have a GT and the windows are blacked out as standard on these except the back window. I have a sheet of 6mm neoprene that I use to cover it if I put the bike in the car.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“With the seatpost out the frame and wheels wil fit in the boot with the parcel shelf covering them. Far preferable to a roof or boot rack! “

Not a chance. – unless you have 12 inch wheels.

in the space behind the front seats yes – in the boot . no

Drac

It wasn’t the wheels that were an issue with my Large Heckler they went in no problem at all, it was the bars but dropping them off is easy to do if you wanted to.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my large bikes needed the forks dropping to get them in – by the time id dismantled the bike that far i figured id just drop the seats and lock and cover the bike.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘MK7 Golf – Can you fit one bike in the boot?’ is closed to new replies.