Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Mk4 golf weird vibration diagnosis?
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Good evening, I have a t plate mk4 golf gti. Had the rear brakes done recently and now I have a weird vibration when accelerating. However it doesn’t seem to come through the steering wheel. As in my hands aren’t uncontrollably shaking when this happens, it’s more of a whole car vibration as if something isn’t balanced. However it’s only happens when accelerating so at approx 40mph to 50mph in 4th and in 3rd, but then when you lift off or maintain a throttle level it’s not there. I’ve been told it could be my track rod ends but that doesn’t seem to be a symptom of those failing.

There’s no grinding noise you would associate with a bearing gone. So a bit confused and worried as I need it for work. It’s drive able but trying to guess what it is to sort it!

Ash

relliott6879
    Free Member

Sounds like an imbalanced wheel, to be honest. Any tyre fitting place should be able to balance all four for £notalot. Also worth having your alignment checked if you’ve not had it done recently, although this is quite a bit more pricey (it’ll save you more than the initial outlay in avoiding premature tyre wear, mind).

project
    Free Member

Sounds like a major problem with the gizmo flux capacitor that makes the emisions figures a work of fiction and your car almost worthless

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    relliott6879
    Free Member

Not on a Mk4 Golf (too old to be affected) and not on a GTI (wrong fuel). Ashley’s in the clear. 😆

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Do you reckon it’s something that ‘simple’ before I go and fork out on driveshafts and hubs?

relliott6879
    Free Member

Yep, my money’s on wheel balancing. Nice and cheap to investigate.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

I bought if it were an imbalance in the wheel it would be constant so no matter whether I’m accelerating or travelling at a constant speed I will tell it? But it only happens when accelerating

project
    Free Member

Jack each, wheel up seperately and chock the car,to stop it rolling away, take off handbrake and pull at wheel, side to side and spin , feel for any juddering or pad grab or bearing being worn, also check tigtness of wheel nuts, sometimes the garage monkeys fail to tighten them.

benji
    Free Member

Rear bushes on front suspension arms can give you a similar feel to what you describe, and they are common on those for going soft and tearing.

Might be worth checking as well that the wheels are tight.

codybrennan
    Free Member

First things first: check the rear wheel bolts.

codybrennan
    Free Member

+1 benji

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Will check the wheel nuts tomorrow. Rear bushes on front suspension?

fletch71
    Free Member

How old are your tyres?
    Sounds like the tgre has ovaled ( gone out of shape) Has happened twice on my A3. It’s a common fault.

Unbelievable vibration and sounds like the wheel bearing has gone.
    New tyre and its all sorted.
    Try putting the spare on.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Given the problem seemed to coincide with rear brake work, I’d be checking each wheel rotates freely and that the handbrake fully releases.
    Just jack up each corner and spin the wheel. Plus check the wheelnuts are tight.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

How does a tyre oval?

project
    Free Member

How does a tyre oval?

over or under inflation hitting a pothole, steel threads snap mkaing the tyre go out of shape, as i said above jack up car, chock wheels and spin tyre with handbrake off, and youll see a buckle in the tyre.

fletch71
    Free Member

[How does a tyre oval? ]

Dunno> google it. As i say is common on many cars. I think more so th lower profile the tyre.

takisawa2

Sounds like a CV joint to me. As they spin they pass through the speed at which excess play is causing the wobble.

pdw
    Free Member

Maybe a stupid suggestion, but is the engine firing on all 4 cylinders? The vibration from that is certainly most noticeable under acceleration, but from what I remember of losing a cylinder on my old Mk4 GTI it was pretty obvious the rest of the time too, so not exactly as you describe.

rc200f8
    Free Member

Driveshaft / cv joint fault

Daffy

rc200f8 – Member
    Driveshaft / cv joint fault

That would be my guess too.

Marge
    Free Member

I’d remove & refit the wheel they worked on….

Have they tightened it up without sequencing opposing bolts / nuts…

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

There is play in the driveshaft

loddrik
    Free Member

I had exactly this on my Touran. Had all wheels balanced several times. Turned out it was CV joint, one side of it had gone. Was replaced and worked perfectly thereafter.

spacey

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPDwS-ZxSjM[/video]

philjunior
    Free Member

Wheel balance issue gets my vote too.

My brother’s Saab had this issue and whilst he had paid for the wheels to be balanced we were convinced this was the issue when we borrowed the wheels from my dad’s Saab and the symptoms disappeared. It was only really noticeable when accelerating too.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Had a strange vibration on my car, turned out the wheel bearing needed tightening. I didn’t even know you could tighten them! Maybe they are shimano cup’n’cone. Anyway, cheap fix so i was happy.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Mk4 golf weird vibration diagnosis?’ is closed to new replies.