Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Mk 1 Ford focus TDci any good ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Just looking at cars and came across a 04 plate mk 1 focus diesel with only 74 k on the clock ?
    never had a ford diesel or a focus for that matter …. yeah or neah ?

Northwind

1.8 I take it? Estate? What spec level

I had the previous version, a ’52 plate TDDI. And it was a really nice, straightforward car. Boot was inexplicably vast, cabin basic but very well set out. Mine was just an LX so low spec level/trim but still well executed.

54 would be the last of the Mk1.5s I think? My dad’s got a Mk2 and though it looks nicer, truth is it’s nothing like as good inside. Ergonomics are just poor IMO- trivial example, but the doorcards were redesigned and now you can’t really fit anything in the pockets. No idea why.

Things to watch for- corrosion behind the front wheel arches and in the sills under the front doors, there’s a water trap there (removing the sound deadening fixed it on mine, it’s an enormous sponge!) Usual Ford TD things- dual mass clutch… Can be a rattly engine, don’t worry if it sounds like a van but do worry if it sounds like there’s cutlery in the clutch. Pretty standard diesel fare. Not sure if a 54 will have the EGR but it should be easily bypassed if it does (5 minute job on a Mondeo)

Good honest car, all in all. And the diesel lump’s way better than the equivalent petrols IMO, though that’s a personal taste thing. (mine was puny but so usable)

So yeah… I would, if it seems straight and in reasonable nick. They do usually carry a price premium though.

Duane…
    Free Member

I currently have a Mk1 1.6 Zetec. I remember when I was reading all about the various versions of the Focus the TDCi was the best of the bunch, just a little more expensive than the others. And I imagine the Mk1.5 is a little bit nicer still.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    z1ppy

watch for ‘rough-ness’ though the rev range (no loss of overall power, fuel economy or black smoke), potential sign of a dual mass flywheel failure… as my g/f’s car has finally been diagnosed with (by an auto electrican – it affects the timing).
    New solid flywheel, clutch and slave cyinder on order, best part or £5-600(fitted) as it’s a good car, so worth repairing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Mk 1 Ford focus TDci any good ?’ is closed to new replies.