Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Mixing road Shimano and Campag
  • Gunz
    Free Member

I’m building up a new road bike and have always thus far used Campag. Whilst I want to continue using their levers I think Shimano offer better quality at a price point in the rest of the drive train. Can anyone tell me if the following mix would work?

Campag:
    Levers
    Cassette

Shimano:
    Cranks
    Derailleurs
    Chain

Thanks in advance.

cynic-al
    Free Member

DEpends what speeds. Google “shimergo”

jimc101
    Free Member

Being as Campag is mainly 11 speed, and Shimano 10 speed, the simple answer is no.

If you are looking at the lower end 10 speed Campag to mix with Shimano, there is a device available from a company in the US called Jteck, similar to the Avid rollamajig, which will let you run Campag RD’s with Shimano cassettes and vice versa. don’t know if you can get them here or not.

Have you gone to a bike shop, and had a feel of the STI’s vs Ergo shifters, as there is a lot of difference in the look / feel of these.

Also, you have missed brakes off, if you go Shimano STI’s, you are locked into the current Shimano brakes, if you go Campag Ergo, get the Skeletons, they are nicer than the normal DP ones

Not sure why you would want to do this tho, mixing the two systems is just wrong.

Rochey
    Free Member

Don’t mix, go either Shimano or Campag all the way.

You know ir makes sense and also why would you mix Japsnesse crap with Italian Class!!!

You can tell I’m a Campag man through and thrrough ; )

Digger90
    Free Member

Interesting thread – this is simiar to what I’m hoping to do on my CX bike.

I want to run Campag shifters/levers with Shimano derailleur cassette (wider cassette ratios and cheaper rear mechs).

Do Campag shifters work with Shimano 9 spd mtb derailleurs e.g. LX, XT, XTR?

cynic-al
    Free Member

CTC IIRC has a good page on shimergo.

I use 9s ergo levers and a shimano mech to work on 8s shimano cassettes. 10s ergo/9s shim mech and cassette may work too.

clubber
    Free Member

I’m a Campag-o-phile and my road bike is full Campag.

My CX uses 10 speed Campag ergos with 9 speed shimano cassette and rear mech (Campag front mech) using the hubbub cable fixing method which all works perfectly. My other road bike (which lives at my in-laws) also has the same combination. The mix works perfectly – at least as well as the full campag setup.

Why? I want Campag shifters but as I mtb too I have lots of Shimano parts and they also tend to be cheaper.

And finally, apparently 10speed Campag shifters will work with SRAM 10 speed rear mechs meaning that you can use an mtb rear mech with a wide range cassette if you wanted.

The CTC page: http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=3946

The hubbub cable fixing method:

I have also heard/been told that a full 10speed Campag setup will work well with a Shimano 10 speed rear wheel/cassette.

cynic-al
    Free Member

ergos are lighter and cheaper than sti, have non indexed front shifting, and no cables to foul HB bags.

Gunz
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. Just to make it clearer the main reason I want to stick with Campag levers is that I don’t like the aesthetics and feel of the Shimano.

clubber
    Free Member

al – the “why ” was rhetorical. I use campag shifters on all my drop barred bikes.

gunz – aesthetics? I prefer the feel of campag though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Clubber I was just adding some reasoning of my own. Don’t take offence, I here you are bigger than me.

clubber
    Free Member

these days, considerably so…

I saw from Andy on fb that you lot had fun on the Man Tour 😉

dobo
    Free Member

i’m happy to confirm that 10 speed campag veloce works perfectly fine with a shimano mech and 8 speed cassette.

you can build up a real cheap cx this way, i did and it works great.
    you dont need to use the hubbub fixing method clubber mentions for 8 speed it just works.
    11-28 with a 39t ultegra up front works great

PePPeR

Hmm I was sort of wondering something along these lines myself, I have Shimano 105 9 speed and 1999 Campag Mirage 9 speed shifters and I far prefer the feel and comfort of the Campag shifters.

I was wondering whether it was possible to use the campag shifters and mech with the shimano rear cogs?

emanuel
    Free Member

sjs do the jteks I think.
    on the jtek website they’ve got all the combinations.
    http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

edhornby

sheldon brown’s website is very useful on the mixing as well

what bits do you have in the spares box so far???

mattsccm
    Free Member

I ran 10 speed Campag shifters with a 10 speed Shimano cassette. Fine. Only swapped as I got a lower geared American classic, Shimano splined, Campag spaced cassette. Actually I have yet to really sort the indexing !

mattsccm
    Free Member

Oh yeah and a 1989 Deore rear mech worked fine as well. Older MTb stuff is less fussy.
    As above look at the CTC forum for all you need.

saladdodger
    Free Member

PePPeR – Member
    Hmm I was sort of wondering something along these lines myself, I have Shimano 105 9 speed and 1999 Campag Mirage 9 speed shifters and I far prefer the feel and comfort of the Campag shifters.

I was wondering whether it was possible to use the campag shifters and mech with the shimano rear cogs?

I have done the 9 speed campag with a shimano cassette and I hate to say it but it works better than the all campag set up

cynic-al
    Free Member

All 6-9 shimano rear mechs are cross-compatible bar chain width of course.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Isn’t this a bit of a cultural faux pas, never mind a technical faff? 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Mixing road Shimano and Campag’ is closed to new replies.