Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Mixertrackworld: Kenwood Chef or KitchenAid?
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Thinking of getting one of these for my wife for xmas. (she has expressed interest in this sort of thing previously).

The kitchenaid looks cool, but the kenwood is supposedly good.

What does the stw baking massive think?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Kenwood. We bought one on basis of the mother in laws last nearly 3 decades. Lots of add ons available but come with everything you really need.

stealthcat

Never tried a KitchenAid, but my mother’s Kenwood (I think it was a wedding present back in about 1970) is still going strong. KitchenAid looks prettier, but I know the Kenwood is bombproof and the parts still seem to fit all models, so it’s unlikely that you won’t be able to replace/add bits as required…

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Kenwood Chef here, awesome bit of kit. No end of add-ons, sausage makers, pasta extruders, herb/coffee mills, etc, etc, etc. But best of all, it just goes and goes and goes. My mum had hers for about 20 years then gave it to my brother about 10 years ago and he’s still using it. had mine for about 7 years and never missed a beat. Not the prettiest of things and I’d definately score the KitchenAid on looks (and all the TV chefs seem to use them) but if my Chef was to pack in I think i’d be looking at another one rather than changing.

hot_fiat

Beware that the lowlier models of chef don’t take all of the appliances (notably the food processor) and are a bit ‘cheap’. Having said that, I love mine.

chvck
    Free Member

Sister has a Kitchenaid and it’s good, properly solid feeling. Loads of attachments too. I have my Mum’s old Kenwood Chef, probably older than I am (28). It started smoking a few years ago but let it cool down has been fine since! I’d happily buy either.

binners

And they say romance is dead?

Nothing says ‘I love you’ like a kitchen appliance. Why not get her a full size cutout of Paul Hollywood to stare longingly at while having a little cry? 😉

llama

He who lives dangerously gives his wife a domestic appliance

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve just made a very nice malted grain loaf using the Kenwood chef that my mum had for at least 40 years.
    The motor is a bit smelly but it works great. I’ve read that KA mixers are rather more form over function.

Cletus

I bought my wife a KitchenAid a few years ago. It is used frequently and has been reliable – weighs a ton though.

I think for it is like a Ti frame would be for me.

sbob
    Free Member

binners – Member

Why not get her a full size cutout of Paul Hollywood to stare longingly at while having a little cry

Mark my words, there’s rohypnol in that cake.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Ha ha at binners. She did ask for one a while back. And she does make lovely cakes.

Just seen the k-mix ones. Look cool and Kenwood as well.

Albanach
    Free Member

I’ve got a Kenwood Chef and it’s a great bit of kit. I think the Kitchen Aid is used for TV as it is quieter than the Kenwood (money for product placement aside). The only gripe I have with the Kenwood is it’s a bit tricky to release the bowl from the base.

Rio

A Kitchenaid says “I’ve got you something fashionable for the kitchen like you see on the telly”, a Kenwood says “I want you to make cakes”. Only you know which message is acceptable.

I got Mrs R a Kitchenaid as a result of losing a bet with her. Both are pretty awesome for their intended purpose (although I’m judging Kenwoods by my mother’s 30 year old one, current ones may be different).

Edit: just read that back and to clarify (and in case she reads this) when I say both are awesome I mean Kenwood and Kitchen aid, not Mrs R and Kitchenaid, although she is of course also awesome.

dknwhy

It’s the cake making version of the Apple/Android debate….

CaptainSlow

Our old Kenwood Chef dated back to the late 50’s or very early 60’s I believe. It finally packed up a couple of years ago and couldn’t be repaired (metal fatigue).
    It has been replaced with another Chef – can’t remember the exact model but its the titanium with the larger motor.
    It’s used on average every two days for bread, and then for cakes n other processing tasks so only gets the odd day off a week. I haven’t bought the mincer for it yet but will one day.

Get a Chef, get one with the largest motor you can afford and enjoy the weight gain

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I’m judging Kenwoods by my mother’s 30 year old one, current ones may be different

No, I think that’s the attraction – they are what they were – style-free, worktop-hogging monsters that just do what they’re supposed to (unless what they’re supposed to is look good, then they fail, totally)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Mixertrackworld: Kenwood Chef or KitchenAid?’ is closed to new replies.