Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mix 'n' match bike lubricants. Warning: Squirt content!
  • muddyground
    Free Member

Does anybody else mix their chain lubes with any degree of success?

I’m a fan of Squirt but it can be useless when things get really muddy. But I’ve never been happy with any wet lube when used on its’ own. For the past month or so I’ve been using Squirt as normal ’cause I’m stubborn, but if the ride was going to be wet (pretty much a certainty these days), I’d still use the Squirt but a few hours before the off I now apply a single drop of Muc-Off C3 wet lube to each roller. The former needs to be fully dry prior to applying the C3. So far I’ve had no transmission issues even in some of the worst weather I’ve been out in for ages – well since my summer holiday last year on Snowdon. As a bonus the chain comes up really clean after a quick wash, with no grit between the rollers.

So come on, any other, admittedly OCD’ish, creative suggestions to beat the weather transmission wise?

And whilst we are on the subject, putting Squirt into Twitter is fun…..

Northwind

I use Squirt on the commuter, but it let the chain get rusty so now it’s much the same as you describe- Squirt with Finishline wet lube on top (the Finishline isn’t very good by itself, but it seems to last)

Suggsey
    Free Member

Its not the squirt that is saving your day from my experience (since it was released to market) I have been using C3, its very very good and even after a filthy wet four hour ride there is still the remnants of C3 in the essential places. it is very expensive but appllied as per the instructions its out performed all the lubes in winter conditions. I was fortunate after getting into a conversation a couple of years ago to be given samples of 20+ of lubes from all the main manufacturers to test. this was prior to the release of C3. It has the staying power of the that foul smelling sticky lube (cant for the life of me remember the name of it now but smelt like Hypoy Gear Oil) without the difficulty of cleaning and application.
    Edit; Chain-L oil

muddyground
    Free Member

Fair comment, but I didn’t get on well with C3 on its’ own earlier this year when the weather turned foul. To my mind the chain post ride was as much full of grit as with any other lubricant, and still needed a good cleaning. Shifting was OK but not perfect. My “test” isn’t very scientific, just totally subjective! I’ve found the chain to have far less grit post ride using the two applied consecutively – the Squirt fills in the voids, the C3 does the actual lubing and water resistance?

Lube is like tyres though isn’t it? We all have contrary opinions.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I experimented with a couple of hybrid lube systems, squirt with finish line, etc, but it the small incremental gains weren’t worth the hassle.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I would say on one occasion I over applied the C3 and had the same problem with excess crud sticking so I am anal and apply just one drop to each roller now. I am using squirt on the commuting bike though and its been fine for that. As you say chain lube are like tyres 😀
    I would have tried the competitions ceramic lube but I had the earlier roadie version of it and it just made the most awful road paste on the chain and was a nightmare to get splats off the frame let alone off your legs.
    Would it work the other way round better? Lube cleaned chain with C3 as per insructions then apply the Squirt. If it does post it up and I may try it myself.

lindsay73
    Free Member

Cleaned my chain yesterday with citrus degreaser, rinsed it off with water. Applied GT85 to displace water wiped it down with a rag and applied Finishline wet lube removing excess with rag. Chain is as good as new. Do this once a month or depending on how dirty chain is. After each ride i give the chain a spray with GT85 wipe it down and re apply wet lube. I know its a bit ocd but chain is always tip top.

DickBarton

Been using Squirt now for almost 3 years (well certainly over 2)…never had any problems with it…I do apply it generously though after the chain gets it’s 3 monthly degreasing clean. It gets coated, left for an hour (or allows me to go get a wash and food), I then give the cranks a few spins and leave it…in the morning, I give it another application.

Generally this leaves far too much on the chain but a few spins of the cranks and it seems to sort itself.

The chain stays good between rides and means it gets a quick squirt once a week (normally a Tuesday night after my weekly bike ride)…stays good for the rest of that week including any other riding.

Only thing I don’t tend to do is give each roller a single drop…I just coat the chain and then spin the cranks for about 20 seconds to make sure it’s properly coated.

Not had any problems in really wet weather (although a few mates who have tried it have had issues)…I suspect I’m applying too much of the stuff but it seems to stay on so no complaints from me. Easy enough to wash off (but to get it properly off needs a degreaser and scrub – but that gets done every 3 months).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mix 'n' match bike lubricants. Warning: Squirt content!’ is closed to new replies.