Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Mitt Romney you utter plank
  • unklehomered
    Free Member

Romney strikes again…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19637631

he’s like a sit com character “ooooooh Romney!”

Rorschach
    Free Member

Will someone let TJ back in please……

phinbob

I do think Romney is a plank, and if I were allowed to vote I’d go Obama.

But I think in the context of his speech Romney was talking about his election planning, rather than his government – i.e. that there was no point attempting to appeal or targeting the 47%.

What the real scandal appears to be – to my admittedly ignorant and ill-informed point of view, is the campaign of voter suppression that the GOP has been indulging in over the past few years to make it hard for that 47% to vote. Can’t win the majority of the cast votes? Simple, fix it so that the other side can’t vote as easily.

Some things about the US are great, some suck balls.

grum
    Free Member

He also pretended to be best buddies with Netanyahu, and came out with this gem about potential action against Iran:

ROMNEY: “I’d get on the phone to my friend Bibi Netanyahu and say, ‘Would it help if I said this? What would you like me to do?'”

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/07/26/1113809/-Netanyahu-Romney-Lying-About-Their-Friendship

Northwind

Was just looking a bit more at the 47% thing.

First of all, it’s 46% that don’t pay any federal income tax. And that’s only one tax stream- many people pay payroll tax but not federal tax, and also it’s possible to pay state income tax but not federal tax. So to cast the 46% as nontaxpayers is flat wrong.

Of the 46%, almost exactly half don’t pay federal income tax simply because they don’t earn enough. This doesn’t mean they don’t earn anything; there’s an $11600 threshold per household below which you pay nothing, and further deductions per person. So, a couple with 2 kids need to earn over $26000 before they’re due to pay federal income tax, even before specific child tax breaks (if I’m following the numbers right, this actually rises to about $45000 after the child tax credit). i can’t find numbers of how many people are working below this threshold though.

The other half don’t pay because of tax credits. And of these, 44% are pensioners. Don’t really need to elaborate too much on that. I’d assumed pensioners would make a small proportion, but as it is it’s almost quarter.

A further 30% are receiving tax credits for their children- so in this case, it’s not about the parent’s entitlement, it’s the child.

athgray
    Free Member

People who have hit hard time in America are now living in tented cities. Should not have to come to this.

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s so scarey that the US may elect a president who actually believes fox news 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

but there are none with their eyes and ears so firmly shut tight as those that lean to the left

OMG that is probably the most ironic thing that I have ever read on here! Brilliant!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Still trying to understand how a guy who has a chance of becoming the most powerful political person on earth could make such a strange speech. So dug around into US taxes found these links which seem to help shed some light on the real facts:

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3505

http://economistsview.typepad.com/economistsview/2012/09/nontaxpayers-are-overwhelmingly-the-eldery-and-students.html

Who does MR employ as advisers or speechwriters – the intern at US Today?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The Rupublicans and Tories know the truth of the matter but won’t let simple things like the facts get in the way of whipping up some bigoted class hatred…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Despite the mixed metaphors, the ever-entertaining Paul Krugman makes the following amusing observations (can’t imagine this style passing the editors of UK broadsheets!):

As many people have been pointing out, Mitt Romney’s talk about the 47 percent was no different from what you hear all the time from Rush Limbaugh and the like. But bear in mind that Romney was talking to the financial super-elite, and gave every appearance of believing what he said…

What this strongly suggests is that the Masters of the Universe, and Master Mitt himself, really believe in all this stuff – which is pretty remarkable. The “lucky ducky” trope is clearly, obviously nonsense; equally obviously, it was originally created in an effort to dupe people who didn’t know better. It was and is what Orwell called “prolefeed”, junk aimed at the ignorant masses (ignorant by design), the people who are ready to believe at a moment’s notice that we’ve always been at war with Eastasia.

In Orwell’s vision, however, the Party – and especially the Inner Party – wasn’t supposed to consume this same tripe. It was supposed to understand the true Party agenda and vision (a boot stomping on a human face forever).

So it actually is a revelation to see Romney and friends obviously swallowing the prolefeed whole. The news here isn’t really about their lack of empathy; it’s about their raw ignorance.

somafunk

It’s utterly pointless to attempt to reason with right-wingers and tories as they’ve indoctrinated that way from birth and no matter what you reason with or how powerful an argument you put forward it will not make a jot of difference so i just let them rant on, then look at my watch and say “anyway…..time to go” and walk away, whether that be one step away from them in the pub or in the workplace or wherever, it does seems to wind them up, and to be honest that’s all they’re good for, a brief 5 minute chuckle.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Or you could say that a politician lackey of the hyper-wealthy told them what they wanted to hear and reinforced their contempt for the rest of humanity.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Don’t worry guys we have the party conference season approaching here as well. Get used to the “telling them what they want to hear” stuff as there will be plenty coming from all sides. Who will swallow the “prolefeed”? 😉

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The trouble is quite a few people…

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

It’s utterly pointless to attempt to reason with right-wingers and tories anyone who feels they havre a deep seated political stance as they’ve indoctrinated that way from birth and no matter what you reason with or how powerful an argument you put forward it will not make a jot of difference

There, FTFY

Although, for the record, I agree that MR comes across as a complete idiot. He was probably “playing to the audience” which may well have been full of people who feel that they have worked hard to earn their pile and begrudge those that they perceive as not trying very hard wanting free handouts.

The thing with this thread and some of the opinions quoted is that it comes down, once again, to people. Some people are turnips. Some aren’t. And that has nothing to do with politics or religion.

[Ooooh, dangerously close to lighting another touch paper there 😀 ]

BillMC

The sad fact is that many of that 47% WILL vote for Romney, supporters of the Tea Party are not all Masters of the Universe. The system has a remarkable ability to get people to beat themselves up.

AlexSimon

I can only assume he’s been planted there to either manipulate US citizens into thinking his opponents ‘aren’t all that bad’, or to distract from something far more disturbing happening.

Northwind

The thing is… Of the 46% that don’t pay federal tax that he’s publically writing off, a lot will still vote for him. And the reason for that is that they’ll just assume he’s talking about other people.

Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Mitt Romney you utter plank’ is closed to new replies.