Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Mitsubishi outlander
  • backinireland
    Free Member

Anyone got one?
    What’s it like?
    Bikes fit in boot?
    Room for three child seats on rear seat?

Xylene
    Free Member

Thirsty Petrol.

I like them

What year

backinireland
    Free Member
    big_n_daft
    Free Member

recent aquirer of a 2010 GX4

like it, sat nav a bit pants, loves trundling at 50-60 mph, thirtsy around town
    obviously brilliant in the snow and ice

lost a injector seal and it didn’t kill the engine (very lucky)

climbingkev
    Free Member

08 2.2d Diamond. Love it, I’ll drive it til it dies, which shouldn’t be anytime soon (touch wood). 3 bikes easy with front wheels of in the back, so 3 bods and 3 bikes and kit inside, no probs. Had 5 lads and a weeks worth of climbing/camping kit in it for a Fontainebleau trip, got just shy of 38mpg, driving at the speed limit.

I did have a few mechanical issues following a shit service where some dick forgot to replace a seal so diesel for in the box and clutch. Thankfully he paid, sorted now.

backinireland
    Free Member

Thanks

Less thirsty than my landrover then, might get a test drive.

yetidave
    Free Member

used to have one with work, if you drive like an old woman, great fuel econ, if you drive like a loon, poor fuel econ. Very stable on and off road, poor ground clearance. Strange angle of towbar, so if you use a rack mounted to towbar you may need to carry out some mods. (spare tyre in the middle so bar comes out at an angle.) I liked it.

quintet100
    Free Member

I have a outlander elegance 2007.
    Fully loaded, every extra.
    Had it 3 years.
    Broken front spring,
    New clutch and fly wheel.
    Other than that a good family car.
    Economy, I’ve had 48mpg on a slow run.
    Everyday round town 36mpg with it in 4wd all the time.
    You need to give them some stick.
    Mine is the Volkswagen 2ltr diesel.

jambalaya
    Free Member

A comment on the brand, very very reliable. Had two Shoguns over 220,000 miles and 10 years with nothing other than a hose pipe to replace and normal consumables. The last one had a rusted out fuel tank/pump (quite common as they are exposed) and the cost of replacement was more than the vehicle but mechanically it was still going strong.

MoreCashThanDash

Was another thread on them before Christmas. Lots of happy owners, should come up on a forum search.

mrhoppy

I had a days test drive of the new one. It’s a nice car, quite a bit of space, reasonable ride for a big lump, comfortable to be in and the 2.2 diesel was pretty good. Unfortunately it was the auto and the gearbox was not good. It was laggy and the shifts were awkward and it felt like the gear spacing was too big. Fuel economy was nowhere near stated figures but not too bad considering the size and 4×4.

MoreCashThanDash

As we are restricted to automatics in our household, that ^^^ was not the review I was hoping for…..

backinireland
    Free Member

Just wondering what it would be like to replace a lr discovery 3

torihada
    Free Member

I’ve got a 60 plate GX3 2.2 from new. On the motorway sticking to low 70’s I get 38mpg if I stick on my dog collar & stick to mid 60’s over 40mpg. Brilliant rear passenger foot room. Good sized boot: my bikes go on tow bar; which is remove able to accommodate rear tail gate. I like driving position, good visibility. Can be a little light on the front end. I bought 60 plate as that’s when Mitsubishi put in their own engines (rather than the peugots).

I enjoy driving it for long journeys (most so far 700 miles in a day) drivers position good especially with cruise control. I expect to drive it for the next 7yrs at least.

hora
    Free Member

Get a Forester STI. Shifts like its been towel whipped in a changing room..and just as thirsty

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Had one for a year or so as a company car before changing to an L200.

Loved the Outlander – really comfortable, fast and refined. It was the first year of the GX series, mine was a GX3 so not the posh spec, or the pish spec 😉

Not so much the L200, but I am stuck with that now! Although I was wondering if an Outlander hybrid Commercial may be an option.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I had a Forester too once, that was proper fun, but fell apart with alarming and expensive regularity!

And had a drink problem!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I had a Forester too once, that was proper fun, but fell apart with alarming and expensive regularity!

And had a drink problem!

Fell apart? Don’t let monkeys work on your car!
    2 Foresters here, 17 years total, a wheel bearing each and a MAF sensor.
    Drink? yep

hora
    Free Member

I’ve got a loose heatshield on mine

backinireland
    Free Member

Hmm just realised its a shitroen c crosser

Xylene
    Free Member

earlier ones werent

thegreatape
    Free Member

We’ve had a number of these at work, think we’re on our third in 5 years (swapped due to mileage not breaking). I always found it nice to dive and the space was good, the back seats particularly looked spacious compared to other estates. But that’s what I would think of it as, a higher up and fairly big estate car. It’s not a proper off reader by any stretch – for example, my Zafira on winter tyres is better in the snow than the Outlander in 4WD on its normal tyres – and it doesn’t get far along tracks the Defender or Hilux just chuckle at, but who does that in their family car. If your car seats fit, it would be a good family car and I would happily have one in those circumstances.

bol

I think I’m going to go for the Hybrid one when I change later this year. Had a long test drive and was very impressed. Going to be face lifted mid year if that’s of any concern. I guess they’ll try and sort out the rubbish nav and a few other quirks when they do that. Auto box felt good in the PHEV incidentally.

torihada
    Free Member

thegreatape – Member
    my Zafira on winter tyres is better in the snow than the Outlander in 4WD on its normal tyres – and it doesn’t get far along tracks the Defender or Hilux just chuckle at, but who does that in their family car. If your car seats fit, it would be a good family car and I would happily have one in those circumstances.

Any car in winter tyres will beat any car in non-winter tyres in the snow; friend in Alps in s class merc with winter tyres left range rover on summer tyres spinning in snow (RR driver was very annoyed/confused). But yes, Outlander is an oversize family estate that happens to have 4WD; useful in winter & in wet driving conditions. Mine spend 95% time in 2wd and when conditions get icey/snowy/muddy the 4wd goes on and full lock when its very steep (Hardknott Pass with 4 bikes on tow bar & fully laden). Better clearance than standard estate and its got me up some steep rough mountain forest tracks with bikes on tow bar, but it aint a landy/L200 etc.

bol – Member
    I guess they’ll try and sort out the rubbish nav and a few other quirks when they do that.

I would never see a built in sat nav as a selling point; all the ones I’ve used in car have been crap compared to an off the shelf Garmin/TomTom, especially when you see what car manufacturers charge for them and subsequent map upgrades.

pedlad

<Pedant alert>

Bol the phev actually doesn’t have a gearbox at all……it has high torque e-motors that drive the wheels up to around 45mph. If needed the engine will fire as a generator. Above that car can go to 74 on e. Only if you have the charge or with engine as either a generator or clutched in automatically to drive the wheels directly. All via a single gear. The car manages all of this pretty seamlessly and it explains why the top speed is pretty low for something with a combined 200bhp (about 110 I think but pretty irrelevant imho). Between 50 and 80 it is pretty darn quick as you get max power and torque from both power supplies.

joepose
    Free Member

Got a 2010 2.0diesel that’s been reliable so far.
    Done 13000 hassle free miles. Doesn’t get the heart racing but 7 seats are handy when required.
    Looking to get a remap for £345 in the hope of increasing power and upping mpg. Big ask but it worked on the T4 van I had.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Mitsubishi outlander’ is closed to new replies.