Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 773 total)
  • Missing Malaysian Aircraft – is it possible…
  • toys19
    Free Member

DavidB that is ace!

Fantombiker

question for you clever people…The satellite data (IMSAT?) shows the time the airplane was moving (?). We know that there are 2 arcs, with 2 corridors. So, knowing the plane and the factors related to its speed, fuel load, its precise position should be able to be calculated??? There will be two alternatives on each arc? Or am I being stupid?

kimbers

they dont know the speed, hence the arcs

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    midlifecrashes

they dont know the speed, hence the arcs

Or the direction, either at the point of the ping, or subsequently.

toys19
    Free Member

could have made smaller changes in direction many times, and altitude, massivly affecting fuel use. So there has to be a min and max distance. I am so struck by DavidB’s post it seems dead convincing. Here it is again, take a read.

IHN

This is probably going over old ground, but it still seems astonishing to me that it’s even possible to turn off the transponder on a commercial aircraft. Whay would this functionality be available? I’me pretty sure that if I owned an airline which ran lots of very, very expensive planes, I’d want to know where they all were, all of the time…

andyl
    Free Member

everything is on a breaker.

Would be a bit silly to have an electrical system not on a breaker and then lose an aircraft due to an electrical fire that could have been avoided.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I agree IHN ^^ trucks and vans can’t turn off the satnav transponders they have so how coe aeroplanes can? I do think the theory linked baove that the missing plane shadowed another is quite credible. The question remains why? and what happened to all the people?

EDIT: But shirley they would be on seperate breakers and therefore not able to turn both off similtanously?

crazy-legs

This is probably going over old ground, but it still seems astonishing to me that it’s even possible to turn off the transponder on a commercial aircraft. Whay would this functionality be available?

Every electrical system has cut offs and safety breakers. If it malfunctions, there needs to be a way of shutting it down before it causes any problems.

Under normal circumstances, you’d just put out an alert call to say that your transponder is offline and identify yourself by other means, the whole point being that you have several redundant backups. But then if you turn those off too…

mangoridebike

That link from DavidB seems fairly believable to my uneducated mind

peteimpreza

They need to turn them off at airports otherwise the systems would be overwhelmed by signals from active transponders on the ground.

IHN

Ah, gotcha. Every day is a school day.

andyl
    Free Member

and the the airport thing. Imagine what a radar screen would look like at Heathrow if they couldn’t turn them off.

Duffer
    Free Member

Edit – beaten to it.

aracer
    Free Member

I see several people making similar comments. It does look good – apart from a couple of points. Military radar isn’t that rubbish – it would be possible to distinguish two 777s flying in close formation, unless they were literally right on top of each other. It would be almost impossible to fly them in close enough formation to evade detection – they’re not designed to be flown in close formation and the vortices generated by one aircraft would make keeping station in another one (which isn’t designed for that sort of control) pretty much impossible. Remember it was also night which wouldn’t exactly make it any easier.

The issue about the oxygen has largely already been covered – from what I’ve read the passenger supply is 10-12 minutes chemically generated, and the aircrew have a totally separate system with considerably longer duration fed from a bottle. Also some suggestion that the aircraft was taken over 40,000ft – higher than normal, and a height at which the unpressurised oxygen supply for passengers wouldn’t have been sufficient to maintain consciousness (even with pure oxygen the partial pressure would have been insufficient). So it does seem possible the passengers were deliberately taken out before passing over land.

toys19
    Free Member

Military radar isn’t that rubbish – it would be possible to distinguish two 777s flying in close formation, unless they were literally right on top of each other. It would be almost impossible to fly them in close enough

I dont think so, at 30km the angular resolution of radar is about 600m. I heard a radar dude on R4 talking about it lunch time. Secondly, the countries it flew over probably don’t have the kit like the ‘mericans do.
    Typical search radars often do not resolve objects less than 1000m apart.
    The only things that can resolve that well are weapons radars and they won’t be deployed as typical skywatch type things.

andyl
    Free Member

I was finding it hard to believe but maybe it was just an elaborate robbery rather than terrorism.

For the plane or maybe for something in the hold?

If it did land without killing the passengers through hypoxia then 230 people is a lot to feed and provide facilities for for 10 days 🙁

crazy-legs

I was finding it hard to believe but maybe it was just an elaborate robbery rather than terrorism.

For the plane or maybe for something in the hold?

Bit impractical to steal a whole plane though. Since you can’t really sell it, about the only reason you’d want to steal a whole plane is to turn it into some kind of flying bomb which is a pretty terrifying thought. Even then it’s more elaborate than it needs to be – you’ve got the whole hassle of landing it, hiding it, refuelling it and then taking off again on a suicide mission – whereas you can skip steps 1-3 by just doing a 9/11.

I guess something in the hold is plausible but it would have to be worth a hell of a lot to pull off what is looking like an extremely well planned and very elaborate game of hide-and-seek. If the theory that DavidB posted is halfway correct, that’s an incredible bit of flying in a commercial jet to run what is basically an intercept at night without radar or ATC vectoring you onto the target.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

kimbers

edward2000’s link is more plausible than davidB’s by a considerable margin
    but the fact that the fire happened conveniently as the planes was transferring from malaysian to vietnamese airspace seems a bit far fetched to me

occams razor would suggest that it was the pilot/hijacker who turned off the transponders, turned the plane left and flew off south to ditch in the sea?

edward2000
    Free Member

The trouble with the hijack scenarios is, why go to all the effort to land, hide, refuel and take off on towards their target, as opposed to taking control of the plane and just going straight on to the target. The latter is much easier.

rkk01
    Free Member

That last link doesn’t seem to tally as well as the “intercept theory” link*. That looked scarily plausible… and hypothetically stacks up with the pilot having an elaborate flight sim at home (former flight sim user wondering out loud why a very experienced captain, presumably with works paid for access to state of the art simulators, would need a home made set up…)

ETA *. Because of the satellite ping data

tyger
    Free Member

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but I’ve heard that the plane may have been carrying something very valuable and that it was a robbery but not for the plane – Thunderball but not for a nuclear weapon. Just a rumour of course??

crazy-legs

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but I’ve heard that the plane may have been carrying something very valuable and that it was a robbery but not for the plane – Thunderball but not for a nuclear weapon. Just a rumour of course??

I think the problem here is the media, especially the rolling news channels wanting something, anything to talk about therefore coming up with ever more impractical or implausible scenarios so they can drag in some “expert” to interview and pull in the viewing figures.

The best thing the media could do now is to butt out of it and stop with the wild speculation…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I, like many others, have only watched the news updates. There seem to be many theories and plausible speculation yet I find one aspect missing, Chinese or American military comments.
    Is it possible they know what/where this plane was heading and took action against it, or perhaps are dumbing down knowledge because the truth about its whereabouts is perhaps too disturbing for us to hear??

Either way this is a very sad and confusing mystery 😐

dantsw13

The chap in Edward2000’s link isn’t quite as knowledgable as he thinks. I’m a current 777 pilot, and some of what he says is plain wrong. I won’t go into specifics, but IMHO he isn’t the authoritative figure he claims.

butcher

What I don’t understand (though I’m sure there’s a logical explanation for it), is for less than £100 I can buy a device for my bike which will tell me exactly where I am, accurate to within a few feet.

Assuming any such device on an aircraft would be protected from any kind of human interference (would seem sensible – though hindsight is always a great thing), is it just a case of insufficient satellite coverage over the ocean, or difficulties in sending the signal back to base?

I’d like to think the passengers and crew are still alive, but I reckon it’s much more likely the plane has gone down for whatever reason and our imaginations have gone wild with the lack of information. Something we’re not used to in the information age.

Tiger6791

Found It!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5223891,-0.126281,229m/data=!3m1!1e3

Why did nobody notice it in Russell Sq?

(Sat View)

Tiger6791

What I don’t understand (though I’m sure there’s a logical explanation for it), is for less than £100 I can buy a device for my bike which will tell me exactly where I am, accurate to within a few feet.

Civil plane’s tech works on the fundamental assumption it wants to be found, bit of an oversight really. But it’s all ‘look I’m here’ tech.

Switch the ‘look I’m here’ off and your buggered

misinformer
    Free Member

The chap in Edward2000’s link isn’t quite as knowledgable as he thinks. I’m a current 777 pilot, and some of what he says is plain wrong. I won’t go into specifics, but IMHO he isn’t the authoritative figure he claims.

Are you Malaysian have you borrowed a plane recently and if so what’s the biking like where you are

rkk01
    Free Member

The pilot writing in the link provided by edward2000 reads as very “analogue era”, if that makes sense…?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

The transponder isn’t intended to be like a GPS tracker for a stolen car – its just so the aircraft can be identified by ATC when its flying in controlled airspace.

richmtb

It was the co-pilot.

Turns out he was a bit of a shagger, this has been used to coerce him and he hijacked the plane.

What happened once he had hijacked it is the mystery

globalti
    Free Member

This is the most reasoned, sensible explanation I’ve seen, especially as there’s precedent for this kind of incident:

https://plus.google.com/106271056358366282907/posts/GoeVjHJaGBz

zokes
    Free Member

It’s like déjà vu all over again…

kimbers

that link was posted a few pages back globalti

its certainly not as outlandish as others, but the timing of the fire just as they switched from malaysian to vietnames air traffic control seems suspicous and the engines transmitting for 7 hours after?

sammy388
    Free Member

I just read a super interesting article (from an experienced pilot) and he said the black box would be disabled in a severe enough fire. He also did a lot of research on the pilot of this particular flight and thinks it’s entirely possible for him to have tried to land the plane. Still, there are lots of questions left unanswered. Whatever happen is scary and tragic and this whole not knowing is just worrisome. I can’t imagine how the families feel…

dantsw13

Global ti – the guy in that link sounds very plausible, but I’m afraid a lot of what he says is just plain wrong. As a current 777 pilot, I doubt he’s ever flown a modern airliner, as his understanding of some modern systems way off the mark. To be honest, I wouldn’t bed surprised if he hadn’t even been a professional pilot.

hora
    Free Member

and the vortices generated by one aircraft would make keeping station in another one (which isn’t designed for that sort of control) pretty much impossible.

Agree. Watching planes stacking and coming into land the vortices can really **** up a planes stability if even remotely behind.

Plus for everything to fall into place at the right (lucky) timings smacks of a Jewel-Heist Hollywood movie.

I still say (sadly) its ploughed into a hillside somewhere remote.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 773 total)

The topic ‘Missing Malaysian Aircraft – is it possible…’ is closed to new replies.