Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 773 total)
  • Missing Malaysian Aircraft – is it possible…
  • nickjb
    Free Member

I was thinking it was odd that I can look out the window and any plane I can see I can track online via flightradar24 or a load of other ways yet a massive plane has completely vanished. It looks like flightradar24 had it though, it also explains a bit of why they might also have lost it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26535248

torsoinalake
    Free Member

AF447 – maintenance error, instrument error, pilot error

What were the maintenance and instrument errors?

Anna-B
    Free Member

combinatorial

It’s part of applied mathematics, CFH. Heard something very interesting on Radio 4 yesterday, about how the use of Maths and probability helped find the remains of the plane that went missing in 2009.

A mystery, and tragic for all involved.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I see. Please accept my contrafibularities.

Kryton57

A note in the newspaper this morning said that they (interpol?) have been phoning crew mobiles, which have been “ringing out”. That’d be odd if they were underwater (ref Metro, London).

hora
    Free Member

“ringing out”.

Means the plane went into the side of a hill or it crashed down onto land.

stcolin
    Free Member

MH370 was NOT fitted with the SATCOM GSM-system.

It’s a very strange affair this one.

GrahamS

A note in the newspaper this morning said that they (interpol?) have been phoning crew mobiles, which have been “ringing out”.

Pretty sure that is nonsense. If the mobiles were intact, turned on, receiving a signal, and the numbers were known, then the authorities could get a cell tower triangulation on them.

Not super-accurate that far from multiple towers, but it’d be a lot less than the reported “hundreds of square miles” search area.

kimbers

the metro is the same people(ish) as the daily mail so a pinch of salt…

and an awful lot of supposition and extrapolation in that lowyat article

as for the reddit US military thing, who knows but I think the general rule is that if you saw it on the internet its probably made up is advisable

gwaelod
    Free Member

the mobile phone issue was explained fairly early on…it’s an artifact of the mobile network not knowing which cellphone tower to contact as the mobile has dissappeared off the network

If you are looking for cuting edge insight into anything…I’d avoid the Metro

have a look at the thread on Pprune if you really want some proper analysis of whats going on.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

If you want a sensible analysis of what happened, don’t go anywhere near pprune!

gwaelod
    Free Member

TrekEX8 – Member

If you want a sensible analysis of what happened, don’t go anywhere near pprune!

I’ll rephrase itthen

If you want to know what a few airline pilots and lots of pilot wannabees think…then have a read of Pprune

Duffer
    Free Member

A quote from Pprune this morning:

have a look at the thread on singletrackworld if you really want some proper analysis of whats going on.

organic355
    Free Member

If you are really bored you can join in the search, apparent spotting of plane shaped object at following link. (map 6060)

http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014/map/6060

aracer
    Free Member

A quote from Pprune this afternoon:

If you want a sensible analysis of what happened, don’t go anywhere near STW!

CountZero

From Mashable, detailing report of burning aircraft from NZ oil worker: http://mashable.com/2014/03/12/malaysia-airlines-370-search-area/

sharkbait
    Free Member

Although the oil company say they have no record of that person on the oil rig 😐

endurogangster
    Free Member

Has anyone blamed aliens yet? Seems like the most logical solution!

CountZero

sharkbait – Member
    Although the oil company say they have no record of that person on the oil rig

That I hadn’t heard. Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice.

antigee

[Url]http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/13/mh370-satellite-images-show-possible-crash-debris-in-south-china-sea-live[/URL]

Guardian has report linked to Wall Street Journal that says US investigators have looked at the automatically reported engine data that Rolls Royce collects and that this shows plane continued to fly for 4hrs after contact lost
    Might be behind pay wall

sharkbait
    Free Member

this shows plane continued to fly for 4hrs after contact lost

And the Malaysian ‘authorities’ now say that that wasn’t the case…… oh yeah and the Chinese images are not of plane wreckage and were released by mistake – WTF is wrong with these people?
    Regardless of the outcome the Malaysians are going to come out of this looking like they can’t be trusted to organise a brewery-based evening drink.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Antigee, a graphic from that WSJ report for you;

sharkbait
    Free Member

Oh yeah….. and why don’t RR confirm whether or not they received engine data 4 hours after the plane ‘disappeared’?

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m sure smarter people than me have already considered this, but:

rebel12
    Free Member

North Korea would be about 4 hours away?

Fantombiker

North Korea would be about 4 hours away?

Interesting idea..off course then shot down by NK. I bet they have good surface to air missiles?

pondo

Four hours off course? It’s not like they navigate by sextant any more.

LHS
    Free Member

It’s all just baffling.

IF, and i mean IF, the chinese satellite images were correct, those are some big pieces of plane, wing size pieces of plane, therefore they would have had to hit the ocean at relatively low impact for bits that big to be left. So if that was the case, why no mayday on the way down?

It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if this aircraft turned up at an abandoned airport somewhere.

LHS
    Free Member

This will help

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/china-mocks-malaysia-for-hiring-witch-doctor-to-find-missing-plane/1/349324.html

“I think the plane is still in the air or has crashed into the sea”. He said he arrived at this conclusion using, “a fish trap hook and a bamboo binocular to search and ask for the victims to be found as soon as possible.”

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if this aircraft turned up at an abandoned airport somewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N844AA

lemonysam
    Free Member

Anyone else going to lose the rest of the day to reading Tintin?

gwaelod
    Free Member

did the tintin plane land on a short runway that turned out to be a conveyor belt?

bencooper
    Free Member

Anyone else going to lose the rest of the day to reading Tintin?

According to that map up there, the aircraft could have reached the island in Flight 714 as well.

did the tintin plane land on a short runhat turned out to be a conveyor belt?

🙂 Temporary runway, with a big net to catch the plane.

aracer
    Free Member

Oh yeah….. and why don’t RR confirm whether or not they received engine data 4 hours after the plane ‘disappeared’?

Because if they started issuing press releases it would confuse the issue. A lot of people seem to be under the misapprehension that the most important thing is keeping the public informed and that if we haven’t been told about something it’s not happening. I’m sure RR are busy talking to the authorities about what data they do or don’t have. If the Malaysian authorities have said that there is no data for the extra 4 hours claimed and RR haven’t contradicted them (as they surely would if there was obvious misinformation concerning them, notwithstanding my comment above), then I think we can be fairly confident there is no data.

I also think it’s a little unfair to blame the Malaysians for all the conspiracy theories and rumours being published from unofficial sources – I don’t think there has been an awful lot wrong with the official dissemination of information. They don’t know anything and they’re happily admitting that. It’s the absence of info which is feeding the rumour mill though – if anybody has a brewery related party problem it’s the world media.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Spot on aracer.

legend
    Free Member

So four hours running would take it to Beijing………. has anyone actually checked to make sure it didn’t land?

CountZero

Anyone thought to look on eBay for a buckshee 777 on a cheap BIN auction?

allthepies
    Free Member

Don’t think continual streaming of engine data to RR came in until after the 777 engines (according to an aircraft engineer mate of mine).

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 773 total)

The topic ‘Missing Malaysian Aircraft – is it possible…’ is closed to new replies.