Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Missing cat.
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

So after a weekend away at the Dyfi, We’ve come home to one less cat,
    Bear in mind that this cat in question has always been very needy and affectionate which might explain why he has gone after 3 days without us and only a friend to feed them the once a day,
    Last sighting was Sunday afternoon.

Been out in the garden, street and checked with neighbours and vets, nothing.
    Just going to print out a dozen Missing posters to put up in the local area,
    Will knock on neighbours doors whom have been out,

Any other advice?
    I’m freaking out, Mrstaco is in a mess!
    Bloody pets.

rocketman
    Free Member

He’ll be back

If you’ve failed to provide for him he’ll find someone else who can but he will come back. How is the cat supposed to know how long you’re away 🙂

Ours went missing a couple of weeks ago and returned with a wild look in its eyes and a tail puffed up to three times its normal size. Went and hid under a bed for 24 hours then came back down as if nothing had happened

somouk
    Free Member

Ask neighbours to check sheds and stuff, a lot of gardening done over the bank holiday.

chipster

He’ll be chillin’ with a neighbour.

Fingers crossed, he’ll be back for his tea.

euain

You need some posters. Something like: Missy

alanf
    Free Member

Checking with neighbours is a good idea and sticking leaflets through letterboxes in neighbouring streets. Also check with any rescue homes/centres as they might have been picked up there.
    Our smallest disappeared for 10 days in November.
    Re-appeared at 2:30 am like nothing had happened!!!

binners

He’ll turn up. They always do. Mercenary little bastards. Our oldest, most cantankerous one went missing. I was walking down into town, and the little sod was sat in the window of a house a few streets away, staring out at me. She looked very comfortable, and notably fatter

The youngest one thinks he lives next door, as well as with us on a sort of shared basis, depending on mealtimes

wwaswas

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Any other advice?
    I’m freaking out, Mrstaco is in a mess!

It’s very early days.

then came back down as if nothing had happened

[quote]Re-appeared at 2:30 am like nothing had happened!!! [/quote]

I know what you mean but it amuses me when us humans expect an explanation 🙂

franksinatra

I hope you are not feline to worried you paw thing.

globalti
    Free Member

Just bear in mind that there are reckoned to be 7 million domestic cats in Britain yet 10 million families think they own a cat.

Sneaky little devil will be off supping with a neighbour and might just nip back in a day or two to see what’s on the menu at your place.

It’s worrying though, as I well know.

stavaigan
    Free Member

try the vets too. Our neighbour thought our cat was theirs. Kidnapped her realised it wansnt hers so took it to the vets, instead of just letting her back out to find her own way home.

edhornby

ours disappeared for a week, I was mentally prepared to not see him again and then he turned up the Saturday after we last saw him, one likely explanation is that he went into a shed that was locked and not opened until the following weekend

hope you find him

Drac

Post some pics of your wife’s pussy on the internet with some contact details, it’s bound to get some interest.

jekkyl

without sounding too horrible, cats do get run over all the time and without any collar on who’s to know whose cat they are. I’m sure yours is fine though, expect the worst and then it’s a bonus if he does turn up.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

One of ours went missing for an afternoon once which was long enough! That said, we were convinced we’d taken him to the tip in a tarp of hedge cuttings. Sped through town at 10pm on a Saturday night to the tip and was stood outside the locked gates for 15 minutes shouting “JEFFREY!” and shaking his crunchies. Loads of other cats rocked up and a security guard but no Jeffrey. Turns out he was kipping in next doors spare room after the neighbours grand kids had left a door open and he’d wandered in for a sleep!

ski
    Free Member

Has your cat been chipped?

If he/she has, its worth mentioning it on your flyer, we lost our cat last year (a rather large mean looking British Blue tom) and after a neighbor mentioned he would love a cat like ours, we changed the flyer to mention he was chipped and within hours of posting locally, he was back on our doorstep, looking very fat and smelling of perfume!

Its also worth posting the flyers further than you think, they can stray quite a distance.

The other time we lost him, I ended up doing a 2am walkabout and calling for him, he was asleep in one of our neighbors bedrooms and came crying to the window when he heard me!

Good luck, I know how it feels not knowing where they are, its not nice.

globalti
    Free Member

We got our older cat from the RSPCA where she had been taken as a stray. She has some odd behavioural traits so we’d love to know where she lived and how she got lost – we think she jumped into somebody’s van.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Thanks for the positive advice,

Posters up, flyers posted, Neighbours met (All of which were really nice!)

Cat has a collar, is microchipped, vets informed,
    I’m certain we’ve done everything in our power now the wait,
    When I see him I’m going to be so pissed off with him! but it’ll a massive relief!

mashiehood
    Free Member

Good luck, our is currently sulking after I refused to share my dinner

bearnecessities

Then stop eating rabbit in jelly.

iolo
    Free Member

Leaving a cat for 3 days? Did the friend feed it?

tacopowell
    Free Member

Leaving a cat for 3 days? Did the friend feed it?

That was the idea, I’m certain it worked as he was last spotted on the Sunday Afternoon, that and I trust the friend in question!

granny_ring

Hope he realises that you’re back home and makes a safe return.

JulianA
    Free Member

Hope he comes back ok and that you take him to the cattery next time!

I hate leaving ours for even one night – couldn’t countenance three nights.

NZCol

Mine used to go missing all the time, he was definitely locked in somewhere for a few days once. I gave up wandering round beyond a cursory check to see he wasn’t flat on any of the surrounding roads. I used to leave him for 2-3 days on hiw own with a mountain of food, he didn’t care.

wallop

I don’t like leaving our cats either, but (with ours, anyway) I’m sure if I asked them they’d rather stay home alone for three nights than be put in a cattery.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Facebook, twitter…ask people to share and retweet. I do see people reunited because of social media.

chipster

Have you checked the back bed?
    [/url]
    Joey and Archie by Chip & Manda, on Flickr[/img]

Houns

Here’s my thread. Don’t give up hope!

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/missing-cat-give-me-hope

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Cats (and probably dogs) really do become one of the family, always around, feeding, looking after, making a nuisance of themselves, proper family. when they go missing it can be so traumatic. I hope he turns up and peace is restored.

It sounds like you’ve pretty much done all you can. The only depressing other thing that can be done is to ring the local waste collection guys at the council. They are usually asked to pick up animal bodies off the road. Not nice. But better to know than always wonder.

Hopefully hes already back causing trouble.

Yak

One of mine went missing just over a week ago. As you did, I asked around, put up posters etc. 2 days later he came home, dragging himself by his front legs with open wounds over his legs and bottom. Obviously hit by a vehicle, it appears he hid up for a bit then realising he might live, he embarked on the journey home.

He has a broken pelvis and dislocated hip. He needs 6 weeks of cage rest to help the pelvis heal then then part of the hip removed.
    Now the clincher – all this treatment and the many vet appointments will come to about £3k. This is our insurance limit. At one point it looked like a £5.5k and upwards bill, which we can’t afford.

So as well as looking for your cat, consider your insurance limit as it can get costly very quickly. Good luck.

Here he is, with our other cat keeping him company.

globalti
    Free Member

Similar story: a GF’s cat went missing and she was frantic so we went out searching. I had an idea it might have been hit by a car so looked over the walls and sure enough, there was pussy, cowering behind a dry stone wall with a broken hind leg. Lucky puss, eh?

granny_ring

Any news OP?

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Ours went missing and we put up posters everywhere but didn’t have any response. My wife was walking down the road where we thought she might have gone to explore and was asking people if they’d seen her. A local window cleaner had seen her and led us to one of the houses he cleans where the owners had recovered her. Unfortunately she’d lost her collar in some hedges and they didn’t take her to any vets for the microchip to be scanned.

So, it might be worth asking any local trade people if they have seen your cat as well a going round door knocking with a photo and your number on a card.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

I think the cat wants you to know how it feels being left . The cat will come back. They dictate terms.

tacopowell
    Free Member

UPDATE!!!

Fin came home Saturday just gone,
    Came through the cat flap at 2am, Straight to the food, looking somewhat thinner than we last saw him but in general good health,
    Slept on our bed for 3 days straight bar the odd food and toilet breaks.

We reckon he got locked in a shed/outbuilding.

Emotionally not a nice thing to go through and I should imagine not a nice experience for Fin,

Lots of cuddles for the lil man and lessons have been learnt,
    It’s ok to leave a cat for a night I guess but longer is tough on them regardless of how independent you think they are.

What does everyone else do with their cats on 2-4 days away?

JulianA
    Free Member

Really glad to hear he’s back.

If we’re away for more than one night ours go to the cattery.

I worry about leaving them for even one night, though… MrsJA says I worry too much, though. Probably true.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I do love a happy ending. They are buggers.

granny_ring

Nice one mate, make a fuss of him.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Missing cat.’ is closed to new replies.