Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • misses was diagnosed with breast cancer today .
  • nobbyq
    Free Member

who else went through this ?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

My mum and my aunt (her sister) on the same day earlier this year.

Mrs had a tumour on her para-thyroid a few ago.

Sucks doesn’t it.

claudie

My wife was diagnosed 4 years ago when she was 37 and she will be on medication until her 50s. Really sorry for you both. In the early stages one of the best things for me was discovering people you know who have been through it and are living normal lives again. Be wary of who you listen to, some of the forums are very misleading and my wife was hooked on them for over a year before realising that they offered poor support. McMillan are great. If you want to ask more specific questions, please feel,free to ask.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    honeybadgerx

My cousin went through it a few years back. All sorted with chemo and had her first kid last year – it’s not all doom and gloom!

jonnyboi

My mum went through it when I was young, she’s in her late 70s now, it’s tough at the time but there is a long happy life after it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Tough times. Not been through it directly but have friends who have and are now happily clear. The prognosis if it’s caught early is very good, hopefully thats where you and your wife are. Lots of help oit there, make use of it.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Relative was diagnosed a few years back. Treatment can be quite debilitating for a while but chances of a long-term recovery are usually good, depends on the details though.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Best wishes to your wife for a full recovery ( and to yourself ..stay strong and supportive ).
    It’s not something that I have experienced at first hand and hope that I never do .

funkmasterp

No immediate experience of it, but Mrs Funks auntie had it and is now recovered. Thoughts and hugs to you and your wife.

shakers97
    Free Member

Hang tough mate. My Mum had it when I was a kid and she got through it. Be positive and don’t let your fears and frustrations show with her, come and do that on here and we’ll give your head a wobble 🙂

Steve_B

Best wishes. Just had two friends go through this and it is tough. They are both recovering well after treatment, so, as above, be positive. The one we knew best had a lot of friends lined up to provide support/lifts to hospital/company for coffee and short walks. Her husband had all the mobile numbers and, initially anyway, sent out the appeals for support when needed. Folk(esp woman folk!) are v good at rallying round – especially if you let them know you need their help and give them tasks to do. The hospital support was also very good tho we have the Maggie Centres here which are very good – don’t what equiv is elsewhere.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Mrs_D was diagnosed June 2014 age 46. Surgery August 2014, two attempts to get all of the tumour out – lumpectomy rather than full mastectomy.

Each case is different but she had three months of chemotherapy (which did make her hair fall out) followed by five weekly doses of radiotherapy and then Tamoxifen for the next five years, then further meds for five years after that. All going well so far.

Breast cancer is one of the ‘better’ cancers to get as survival rates are so good, especially with early diagnosis. Much better than say pancreatic cancer, which is an absolute pig – 3% survival rate for that one

johndoh
    Free Member

Similar here – my mother in law was diagnosed with it many years ago (she’d just been diagnosed when I met my wife way back in 1994). She turns 70 in January and still going very strong. So plenty for you to feel positive about.

wallop

Sending you all the love and healing vibes.

frankconway

Sorry to hear that so best wishes to both/all of you.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

A close friend came through a breast cancer diagnosis around 6 years ago. She lost her hair during chemo and had a mastectomy. Her hair grew back to its previous glory and although she initially decided against it she’s just undergone her second round of breast reconstruction surgery. Every check up so far has been good news.

Up until 18 months ago she ran a support group for women with similar diagnoses but she handed that over to someone else because she said that it all seemed such a distant memory to her that she was having trouble connecting. i took this as a very positive sign that she really had made a very good recovery.

Anything of this ilk is a horror to have to got through and there will be some tough times but you will adapt and you will get through it. Best of luck to your wife and to you.

jamj1974

Supported my mum through stage 3 ovarian cancer and a friend through multiple cancers. I am glad to say that my mum is still here nearly 10 years later and despite some long-term side effects from treatment – she has had a productive and enjoyable life since and it changed her perspective to things like her work etc…

john_drummer
    Free Member

and it changed her perspective to things like her work etc…

Amen to that. Work is something you have to do, to earn the money you need, to do the things you want to do. It is not your be all and end all

sbob
    Free Member

My ex, her sister and her Mum.
    All got through it, I’m sure your Missus will as well.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

all the best OP and wife

muzz
    Free Member

Very best wishes to you both.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Best wishes to you and your wife.

Had the same with my Mum twice and prostate cancer with my Dad.

It’s a shock but you got to be there to support her and stay logical – find out the best treatments and get it rolling.

FB-ATB

My wife was diagnosed this afternoon.and is likely to need surgery, chemo and radiography.
    Doesn’t help that yesterday we were at a friends funeral who had been taken by breast cancer.
    We know 2 cases are never the same, but the timing isn’t good.

jamj1974

Nobbyq & FA-ATB. Thinking of you and yours.

Jay

nobbyq
    Free Member

thanks everyone , still trying to get over the shock of how suddenly life changes , very scared for the future now , so many unknowns !

Pigface
    Free Member

A good friend had it and had a hell of a battle but been 8 years healthy. Sending my best wishes to Mrs nobbyq #fuckcancer

edhornby

My mum, her mum, also mother in law. Listen carefully to any diagnosis and make notes, don’t be afraid to ask loads of questions and if it there are delays, chase them, nicely but don’t be a pushover. Good luck, as others have mentioned, breast cancer is better researched than others so proactivity helps . During chemo the immune system takes a battering so get everyone to have the flu jab now, scrupulous hygiene etc.

godihatehills
    Free Member

My better half, took several trips and several months for them to diagnose so got to stage three and a 10cm invasive tumour, mastectomy, chemo, tamoxifen, exemestane and a whole bunch of other drugs. She lost her hair ( and had men in suits laugh at her in hotels because she was bald)
    Interestingly ( and you and your wife be told a lot of theories etc which you should take or leave as appropriate) the thing that really helped was a naturally occurring product t not legally prescribed on nhs- cured chemo sickness and associated aches and pains quick sharp.
    Now going to be on meds for donkey’s years but better than the late alternative, she’s an absolute machine and now writes for huff post from time to time- your wife may find this useful :
    http://helenblissblog.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-max=2015-01-27T04:26:00-08:00&max-results=7&start=42&by-date=false&m=1

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘misses was diagnosed with breast cancer today .’ is closed to new replies.