Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Missed race – GPS advice
  • Picto
    Free Member

Managed to miss the Pitcher Oak Woods Cross race today as I could not find the start. Had a nice drive round Redditch instead of racing. Used RAC route Planner for the last time, and decided I now need a Sat Nav.

Any advice recommendations welcomed.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Happy with my Garmin nüvi 265WT

iDave
    Free Member

smart phone

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    uplink
    Free Member

I love satnavs & GPS – I have loads of them

TBH – you could really do with being able to find somewhere using a map before you start though, you’ll then know what to follow & what to disreguard
    For out of the way places [like races] I tend to get the coordinates from something like Streetmap & enter them direct into the satnav, rather than a postcode

FWIW – Tomtom

tron
    Free Member

Tomtom.

Got a smartphone with GPS, but wouldn’t want to rely on it for in car navigation.

Picto
    Free Member

Thanks for recommendations.

Still feeling a bit muppet like. Have done the race a couple of years ago. Remember it was tricky to find then. Ah well, I have no excuses for not finding the Friary in Lichfield in 2 weeks time.

CountZero

A smartphone with Copilot Live and Ordnance Survey maps ought to cover pretty much every eventuality. I tend to use the OS 1:250k map on my phone, as I usually have a pretty good idea where I’m going, the GPS+map combo works incredibly well, accuracy using my phone’s GPS is around 16-32 feet driving.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Buy a Dakota garmin. Use in the car on bike and hiking.

marty
    Free Member

google navigation if you have a phone and unlimited data package. works just like a satnav, better even.

course, if you drive abroad at all, you’ll need some sort of stanav with maps, otherwise you’ll get absolutely pumped for roaming charges. i didn’t just spend as much as a budget satnav doing that, oh no… 😉

i’ve tried a garmin nuvi 245w and a tomtom of some description recently. preferred the tomtom, but bought the garmin as they sponsor a cycling team. 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Missed race – GPS advice’ is closed to new replies.