Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 153 total)
  • mispronounced bike bits.
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

But there isn’t an English translation for Lyon. So using the proper pronunciation would be the right thing to do.

oldgit
    Free Member

Cinelli, chin or sin?
    Cioc, church?
    Thomson not ThomPson.

And just coz it tickles me Hope, I like to say Hope-ay as in Hope-ay ***** ***** shamone.

BoardinBob

Not cycling but a friends mother asked for a box of “Titless” golf balls in a sports shop 😆

(She was looking for Titleist for the non-golfers)

juan
    Free Member

Well Lyon and grenoble are up to local dialecte (like jumps when rudboy peter or WCA pronounce it…)
    If you want a neutral French you should not pronouce the X in chamonix.

As for deus it’s from the latin so Déous like in Wolfgang Amdeus Mozart.
    Marzocchi is a tricky one. CCHI is pronounced chi like the greek letter chi. The Z is more like tss. So you should say Martssocchi, with a very faint spit on the ts.

In chinelli the ch is like in sh but a bit more like the CH in chamonix.

Hope it helps

trailmonkey

hanglebars
    saggle
    pegal

jojoA1
    Free Member

So pronouncing the X would be regional? To that region (Savoie) or another region? Is it the same for the X in Aix Les Bains?

So many questions!

molgrips
    Free Member

CCHI is pronounced chi like the greek letter chi

Oh well that helps a lot. Cos we’re all fluent in Greek 🙄

😉

julianwilson
    Free Member

yikes, bored light hearted adfternoon humour thread turns all wierd. I’m sorry if i offended you Gary-M.

I probably should have started with my own, errr, variations:
    Bontrager as ‘bontrajjay’
    madone as ‘Ma-doe-nay’

and i perfer to say sram without the ‘sch’ or else it sounds like the eastern european slang for ‘todger’.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m not offended, I was just pointing out that you appear to be a pompous smart arse.

catfood
    Free Member

So how would you pronounce Moet? Not mow-ay I hope.

Richyb
    Free Member

Marin, pronounce merr-rinn is correct, not marin as in maa-rinn

Don’t be silly

BlingBling
    Free Member

It’s

Moe-ett
    Mar-in
    Tule-eh
    ess-ram
    ass-hat
    no-life

trailmonkey

So how would you pronounce Moet? Not mow-ay I hope

Gosh that would be soooooooooooooo gauche.

thomthumb
    Free Member

marin should be muh-rin rather than mah-rin.

but i like the second one; up yours yankee!

Gary_M
    Free Member

So how would you pronounce Moet? Not mow-ay I hope. And risk being laughed out of the local wine bar, not a chance.

thomthumb
    Free Member

lol at blingbling

Richyb
    Free Member

Pronouncing Marin as “Meh-rin” is just copying a californian accent, the pronunciation is Ma-rin.

juan
    Free Member

Well the spelling of Moët should help the pronunciation.
    The O is slightly longer than usual.
    Jo the x might be a local as the radio france version would be without the x.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Gary, original post:

I had a chuckle at the cittick/coat-ick thread below. And i am a bit bored.

it was quite funny. Particluarly the bit where someone pointed out the cotic owners pointing out to the on-one man the ‘error’ of his ways.

oh and there was no smiley if any sort. I tend to avoid them if there seems a risk of them being misinterpreted. Just that word ‘chuckle’.

If that says ‘pompous smart arse’ to you then you probably ought to avoid any thread on here concerning singlespeeds, chris bling, alfine or rohloff hubs and for goodness’ sake stay away from that one about the new shedfire frame.

That’s the last time I try and start a comedy thread on an unseasonably warm sunny afternoon. *slouches off removing sweater which had been serving as a goalpost*

epo-aholic
    Free Member

a mate of mine used to pronounce Kysrium – KAR-O-SI-RIUM, whats all that about???

pjt201
    Free Member

marzocchi should be marz-oc-chi surely, or mar-zoc-chi at least if my gcse in italian hasn’t failed me. two consonants together are said separately in italian.

Gary_M
    Free Member

If that says ‘pompous smart arse’ to you then you probably ought to avoid any thread on here concerning singlespeeds, chris bling, alfine or rohloff hubs and for goodness’ sake stay away from that one about the new shedfire frame.

I wear rapha, I can take it.

glenh
    Free Member

So pronouncing the X would be regional? To that region (Savoie) or another region? Is it the same for the X in Aix Les Bains?

The locals seem to pronounce the X in Aix-en-Provence.

trailmonkey

The locals seem to pronounce the X in Aix-en-Provence.

Isn’t that because the next letter(e of en)is a vowel ?

glenh
    Free Member

Possibly. If it was Aixe you would pronounce the the x but I’m not sure about Aix-en……..
    Juan?

juan
    Free Member

Aix en provence you need the x

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

bling bling

your the 1st person i know who knows the correct way to pronounce Thule

yes most people say th-ule but its not it is pronounced to-lay

dont ask me why but the rep had a go at me for selling some thule roof bars over the phone once!!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Bow-Tran-Ger

I have a really good mate who hates to be corrected on anything, but every single time he makes a reference to Bow-Tran-Ger it just makes me want to scream!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Twatty-niner

WTF
    Free Member

How do you pronounce pedantic ?

scaredypants

🙄

never mind all this pettiness, anyone want a go at “scone” (the food, not the place in the colonies)

allyharp

Ma-goo-ra or Mag-you-ra?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

It’s not a mispronunciation as such, but when I used to work in an outdoor shop people referring to Lowe Alpine as “Alpine Lowe” (or “Alpine Low-ee”) used to irk me a bit.

crikey
    Free Member

“Campagnolo” is the one that gets me, when people really want to say ” I’m considerably more into biking than you and have more disposable income, I don’t know how you can use that Japanese rubbish, it’s got no heritage, and certainly no place on a bike manufactured in Europe, and in addition, Shimano is used on Mountain Bikes which is so beyond the pale that I shall not speak with you anymore”.

A minor irritation, but still…. 😀

BlingBling
    Free Member

oneoneoneone the missus is Swedish so I got the lowdown mate 😉

We’re in the right place for some asshat to try and tell us that it’s wrong mind.

TJ is normally good value for that type of thing :mrgreen:

coffeeking
    Free Member

Jo has a sexy accent?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Moet should be said like ‘Mow-it’, if anyone ever challenges you just tell them to take a closer look at the word on the label, it has umlarts (sp?) over the e as it’s a germanic word/name (Dutch possibly), most people pronounce it like it’s french. The french don’t use umlarts in their language. I work in the wine trade and most customers pronounce it as you would expect and I don’t care really, but it’s an interesting bit of trivia.

Gephaudio
    Free Member

Mo-wett et Chandon is how the French would pronounce as they do not have the word ‘and’ in their lexicon, this link should give some idea.

[/url]

Thats why I order Taittinger so much easier to pronounce.
    Anyway how do you pronounce Cipollini as in ‘Mario Cipollini’

Pauly

BlingBling; Thule is pronounced Tool-ah mate. Just so you can let the Mrs know.
    😉

BlingBling
    Free Member

Paul, the missus says “dra åt helvete jävla cepe” 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘mispronounced bike bits.’ is closed to new replies.