Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mismatched motorcycle tyres
  • Kato

Motorcyclists

I have a Hornet with a 16in front wheel. It has Michelin Pilots on it and the front is shot but the back has loads left

Michelin no longer make a 16in tyres and I can’t really afford to change both. If I put another brand on the front will I crash or is that just an urban myth

aftershock
    Free Member

Mtyh

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So long as you don’t have a sticky rear but hard front tyre

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

I’d try to keep the cross section profiles matched if possible as well.

weeksy

As above really. You don’t want a Supercorsa pro on one and a Battlax on the other for example.

I’ve ran mismatched tyres many many times, including trackdays and touring… on numerous bikes.

Northwind

You can get odd effects from mismatched shapes but IME only happens when there’s really obvious differences in profile.

Is there not a straightforward way to convert the old hornet to a 17 inch front, btw? Might sound daft but bike wheels are often silly cheap, when I swapped the old bike to a GSXR front end I got a wheel with a quality tyre on it for £40 when the tyre alone would have been about the same…

weeksy

I’ve have thought something with a Firestorm/Blade wheel would be the way forward for that Northy.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Yes the old firestorm wheel fits …I did it to my 94 blade which had a 16″ wheel

Kato

Yeah I’ve looked at 17in wheels. Would have to get discs as well

br
    Free Member

I’d just put something as sticky, if not stickier on thr front – but if Michelin have stopped producing the front it kinda implies that the tyres have been on while – if the rear in good condition, not just has tread?

Kato

The rear is newer than the front and you can still buy them in a 17in

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mismatched motorcycle tyres’ is closed to new replies.