Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Misleading packaging information
  • frankconway

Rude Health Coconut Drink……on front of carton coconut is mentioned twice and rice once but no reference to water.
    Ingredients by volume are natural spring water, organic rice, organic coconut butter (2%), sea salt.
    Would be more accurate to describe it is…..water with a hint of coconut.
    ‘Dairy free’ is printed on the front of the packaging; why not add ‘98% coconut free’?

I’ll stick with blue top, thanks.

jimjam
    Free Member

I thought most drinks were mostly water.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

isn’t real coconut water (as in the stuff when you lop the top off a young coconut) mostly water too?

maccruiskeen

Frank Conway is 60% water. Extremely cordial though.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

It does say ‘coconut drink’ (not ‘coconut milk’) though.

Their ‘almond drink’ contains only 1% almonds. Tastes lovely though.

tomd
    Free Member

If you want to get really angry lettuce is 96% water and they get away with calling that lettuce

weeksy

The wifes uncle owns Rude Health.

chewkw
    Free Member

frankconway – Member
    Ingredients by volume are natural spring water, organic rice, organic coconut butter (2%), sea salt.

How does it taste? Good? 😀

Interesting to see that 2% coconut butter. 😛

Drac

It’s Coconut Drink not milk.

ads678

Tell me about it Frank, how gutted was I when I read the ingredients on the back of the coke can….

jonnyboi

I suppose calling it nut juice wouldn’t sell.

GrahamS

on front of carton coconut is mentioned twice and rice once but no reference to water

I’d suggest that if it was actually two-thirds coconut and one third rice then then you’d be forking it onto a plate to have with your curry, not drinking it!

zilog6128

the exact amount of coconut is declared on the packaging (as they have to by law, since “coconut” is in the name of the product) so it’s not misleading legally; all the information is there (caveat emptor and all that).

Possibly a bit sneaky I suppose, but then it depends what the average percentage of coconut would be in other “coconut” drinks. As said above, too high & it’ll be a food not a drink! The classic con is wasabi paste, which rarely (if ever) contains more than 5% wasabi. This one from Tesco only contains 0.2% which is just pathetic (but still legal presumably as they quantify just how little you’re getting!) http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=276785707

breatheeasy
    Free Member

but then every drink will be called ‘water with a hint of…’ (insert, coffee, tea, hops, lemons etc. etc).

Sundayjumper

As long as the description (i.e. “coconut” in this case) corresponds to the predominant taste then legally they’re OK. A lot of fruit juice drinks are mostly apple juice, but sold as mango or whatever because that’s what it tastes of.

You’d be pissed off if your apple juice tasted of guava.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Aren’t humans 96% Orangutan?

righog
    Free Member

Well I wish now I had read my packet, before throwing it away.

maccruiskeen

On that measure we’re 50% banana. But we don’t taste like banana and we’re not as easy to peal.

twisty

Does it taste of Coconut, and does it contain coconut? If so calling it a Coconut drink would seem suitable. Surely the difference between Coconut drink and coconut milk is akin to the difference between Orange squash and Orange juice.

twisty

On that measure we’re 50% banana. But we don’t taste like banana and we’re not as easy to peal.[/quote]
    You might be taking the mantra ‘you are what you eat’ a little too literally 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh and that forum that claims to be about mountain biking 😉 It’s all road and gravel

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Misleading packaging information’ is closed to new replies.