Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Misleading headline of the day award goes to..
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Raoul Moat Taser company director ‘kills himself’

Clicky

intode_void
    Free Member

Moat claims another victim, hopefully Moat is getting to grips with an eternity in Hell

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Moat claims another victim

How d’you work that out?

intode_void
    Free Member

Elf, I work that out as I have had a business relationship with Pro-Tect for a couple of years and have dealt with Peter (the deceased) in the past and he was one of the most thoroughly professional and dedicated people I’ve ever done business with. The knock on of this is that I have an additional ‘track’ on this story and I know that he was concerned that he’d acted in good faith and it has resulted in someones death and the threat to the careers of some dedicated Police officers, therfore I don’t see it as a great feat of deduction to lay this death at the door of Moat.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not at the fact he was supplying the tazers when he shouldn’t have done and thus big trouble was coming?

Not worth a life but a major cockup by him.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I don’t see it as a great feat of deduction to lay this death at the door of Moat.

No I don’t either.

Since Moat was in no way responsible for how Pro-Tect conducted its affairs,
    I see it more as a great feat of ‘responsibility evasion’.

intode_void
    Free Member

TJ I’m not on here to defend the actions of Pro-Tect but…the company/he were not supplying Tazers when they shouldn’t have been: the company is licensed and authorised to supply by the Home Office and as such they have supplied to Civ Police, Mod Police, MoD, Customs and others for some time, the Tazers supplied to Northumbrian Police were as part of a work place performance evaluation authorised by the HO, where P-T slipped up was in supplying additional Tazer units and aspects there of which lead to North Umb Pol being able to deploy the Tazers operationally, P-T did this before Moats’ rampage not due to it. It’s worth noting that these ‘Tazers’ are not the hand held type of thing you see on US Cop shows but a more ‘combat’ focussed unit which could be employed in a fire-fight where a non-lethal outcome was desired, as such many interested Govt departments were keen to have them ‘field-tested’, the error lay in not following the (laborious and labrinthine) HO guidelines to do so. I’m sure there are many instances in the professional lives of STW members which could be painted in a less than glorious light if placed under the spotlight of media scrutiny, this is such an instant.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

So hang on, Raul Moat was killed by a tazer made by this guy’s company, yet the guy’s death is Raul Moat’s fault?

I’m sure there are many instances in the professional lives of STW members which could be painted in a less than glorious light if placed under the spotlight of media scrutiny, this is such an instant.

I doubt most of us are interesting enough for the media to be bothered with us. Although I reckon a documentary on Ernie’s dodgy and unscrupulous work practices and financial dealings would be fascinating…

Had it not been for the Raul Moat case, I doubt this particular story would have made much more than local news tbh.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Into the void – they supplied the tazers in breech of their license IE when they shouldn’t have done so

I don’t know all the details but its clear that this is the case.

My reading of it is this type of Tazers should not have been supplied and used at all.

uplink
    Free Member

How do you do a ‘work place performance evaluation’[/i] of such a device without deploying them operationally?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Elfinsafety
    Raul Moat was killed by a tazer made by this guy’s company

No he wasn’t.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

From the OPs link

Earlier this week it emerged supplier Pro-Tect breached its licence by supplying X12 Tasers direct to police.

The Home Office confirmed the firm had had its licence

Pro-Tect was accused of supplying a new Taser weapon to Northumbria Police during the Raoul Moat manhunt in breach of Home Office rules, because the Taser had not been fully tested.

Last week Home Secretary Theresa May said Pro-Tect had only been permitted to supply the X12 Tasers to its scientific development branch testing.

The firm also “breached rules governing the secure transport of the devices and ammunition,” the Home Office said.

The Taser, which is fired from a 12-gauge shotgun, was being tested by the Home Office before a decision was taken over whether it could be approved for use by police forces in England and Wales.

I would say this shows a pretty cavalier attitude to the rules. he may have thought he was acting in good faith but there reasons for rules and as this type of Tazer had no licence for operational use he should not have supplied it

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No he wasn’t.

No of course he wasn’t. My mistake. Sorry.

Dunno why I got that one arse over tit. 😳

Which means the link between Moat and this guy’s death is even weaker then.

I really don’t understand Into the void pointing the blame for this man’s death at Raoul Moat though.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I would say this shows a pretty cavalier attitude to the rules. he may have thought he was acting in good faith but there reasons for rules and as this type of Tazer had no licence for operational use he should not have supplied it

the cavalier attitude was from the entity that bought these from ProTect

even if they forced them into the hands of the police for free there is shared culpability, the police would have been aware of the status of the equipment supplied, they after all enforce the law. I also really doubt they were supplied without a cash transaction. The police are getting let off IIRC because the law allows the to use anything they want tested or not.

It looks like an inqury looking for convenient scapegoats

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Is “Raul Moat Taser” a brand name?

Moat claims another victim…

You are not rational.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

do you think pc david rathband or the relatives of chris brown give a flying **** about how legal the taser was, as far as i’m concerned they should have run a **** tank through the area he was held up in, the bloke was low-life murdering scum.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

the bloke was low-life murdering scum.

Or a person with severe mental illness who’d tried to get help but had been ignored…

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

the bloke was low-life murdering scum.

Or a person with severe mental illness who’d tried to get help but had been ignored…

yeah if you like.

EDIT: we’re lead to believe he had a specific problem with police officers, sounds a bit to selective just to be put down to mental illness!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I do actually. Seeing as it’s the more rational viewpoint, and is the truth, rather than being that which is based on reactionary sensationalist rhetoric.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – and is the truth

where did you get “the truth” from?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

From the fact that he was a person who clearly had a mental illness, had tried to tell people he was ill, but wasn’t given the treatment he asked for.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – From the fact that he was a person who’d been diagnosed with mental illness, had tried to tell people he was ill, but wasn’t given the treatment he asked for.

hold on, hold on, answer the question… where did you get “the truth” from?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The ‘truth’ is that he was indeed a man suffering from mental illness, who had tried to get help.

“I would like to have, erm, a psychiatrist, psychologist, have a word with me regularly, on a regular basis… Why don’t we just have a psychiatrist sit me down and say: ‘Right, OK, I want to see you regularly, then we can move towards where your areas of fault are’.”

His own words. His previous background reveals he was mentally unhinged. And well-balanced, mentally healthy people tend not to go round slaughtering others in a violent rampage. Well not in normal civilian life anyway.

That he was ‘Lowlife scum’ is merely opinion, not fact.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

right, they are indeed the words of rauol moat but that’s not what you are claiming, where does that say “he was a person who’d been diagnosed with mental illness”

yes i express my opinion whereas you quote “fact” and “truth” so come on just let us all know where you are getting your reliable information.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stu – IIRC and I can’t be bothered to check he was diagnosed in jail / pre jail.

He clearly was “living with mental health issues”

Mind you – when he is running round with a gun its not really the issue why he is doing it – only what he is doing and how to stop him without endangering others

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    From the fact that he was a person who clearly had a mental illness, had tried to tell people he was ill, but wasn’t given the treatment he asked for.

I told the vet I was a horse, but she still won’t give me the tranquilisers I wanted…

Saying you’re ill doesn’t neccesarily make it so. I would suspect if you ask a random group of the population a lot of people will tell you they’re a little bit unhinged from previous experiences. Mind you, that doesn’t mean he wasn’t. Both of you are wrong in this instance. 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Granted I corrected my earlier post to ‘clearly had a mental illness’, as I can’t find owt about him being diagnosed. It’s clear he was mentally ill though. I don’t think there’s any question about that.

He was a nutter – truth.

He was a murderer – truth.

He was ‘low life scum’ – opinion.

Clear now?

I’m not trying to score points here; I just don’t think it serves us as a society to see people as ‘lowlife scum’ when in fact they are seriously disturbed individuals who need help. I’m not excusing Moat’s actions or his reasons, just trying to bring some understanding. In this context, I think David Cameron is morally reprehensible for saying that Moat deserved no sympathy. Such comments serve no positive or productive purpose, and are made simply to gain populist support. Personally I believe Cameron to be thoughtless and cowardly, and unfit to serve the office bestowed upon him, but that’s my opinion.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

He was a nutter – truth.

He was a murderer – truth.

He was ‘low life scum’ – opinion.

True.

It’s clear he was mentally ill though.

Also opinion

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

i’m with you tj.

for you elfinsafety, the recent “facts” as i know them are one victim dead, one victim with life changing gun-shot injuries and one victim recovering from gun-shot injuries. one dead perpetrator. under the circumstances i would say this was the best outcome.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Not really tree-magnet. I think any psychologist/iatrist who had access to Moat’s medical history would tell you that he was indeed mentally ill.

If it looks like a duck and goes ‘quack’, it’s probably a duck. I see your point about his mental illness being mere ‘opinion’ in the absence of official diagnosis however.

It’s pretty safe to say he was mad though. Wouldn’t you agree?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I think any psychologist/iatrist who had access to Moat’s medical history would tell you that he was indeed mentally ill.

More opinion…

I see your point about his mental illness being mere ‘opinion’ in the absence of official diagnosis however.

However what? I’m not saying he wasn’t bonkers but then I’m not saying he was. Just pointing out that your statement that it was fact was false.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

in the circumstances this i would say this was the best outcome.

Again, that’s debatable. His death certainly prevented any further killing. However, his arrest and capture could at least have provided the police and health services with a person who could be questioned and studied in order to learn more about what drives people to such an intense mental state. There are different ways of looking at it, wouldn’t you agree?

It does seem, in this particular instance, that Moat was never going to come quietly. So, the use of lethal force would probably have been justified, in helping to prevent further injury or death.

What I did find sickening was the slathering media circus hovering like vultures waiting for some juicy news. Personally I would’ve kept the media at least several miles away from the actual scene.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Just pointing out that your statement that it was fact was false.

So, Moat wasn’t a deranged psychopath then?

Interesting.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

i’m trying to resist drawing this out any further but how on earth can you critisise me for using the term “low-life murdering scum” when you see it ok to say “nutter” and “mad”

it’s impossible to have logical debate with someone with double and ever changing standards.

i’m out of here.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

how on earth can you critisise me for using the term “low-life murdering scum” when you see it ok to say “nutter” and “mad”

Because both are simply colloquial terms used to describe someone who has mental health issues? Possibly not quite politically correct I agree. Bit easier to type than ‘person with mental health issues’ or ‘mentally ill’ though.

Whereas no-one can exist as ‘lowlife’ or ‘scum’ other than in the opinions of others.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

The interesting dichotomy is that under the intricacies of firearms law, while it was illegal for Pro-Tect to supply them to the police, it was however perfectly legal for the police force, as crown servants, to buy them, give them to police officers to carry them around the streets and use them…

one law for them…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah how does that work? Like, if I sell drugs it’s illegal, but if I buy them it’s also illegal. Etc.

Surely buying weapons from someone who is illegally selling them is ‘aiding and betting’ an illegal act, no?

Or is it like Prostitution; it’s illegal to solicit business, but not to take money for sex?

Confuddled…

stumpyjon

Ok, despite the usual knee jerk reaction from some on here in having a go at a business man whilst defending a murderous gunman (anyone going to challenge that statement, i.e. he had a gun and mudered someone), I can see what the into de_void is on about. I would suspect there are all sorts of issues within business deals every day which range from innocent cockup to downright illegal business practices, that get uncovered and resolved in a manner appropriate to the offence committed. In the case of Pro-Tect I have no idea which end of the scale their mistake was, however because of the Moat link the press and now people on here have gone for the firm and owner in a a disproportionate and uninformed way. Unfortunately it would appear that this disproportionate attention has pushed him over the edge (although that to is conjectecture). Having a go at into de-Void when he has more knowledge of what happened than anyone seems to be a little arrogant at best especially as a number of posts above contain blatant innaccuracies that even the poster had to acknowledge were wrong.

As for Moat, none of us know what mental state he was in, there’s a fine line between diagnosed mental illness and just being a terrible person fully culpable for your own actions (or do we start saying anyone who is at odds with ‘normal’ societal behaviour is ill, very slippery slope to go down there).

I can only judge the man by his actions which do seem to well documented and not indispute. It would appear the police were trying to protect the guys life whilst potentially putting themselves at risk, this sort of improvement in law enforce is only possible if private companies like Pro-Tect develop the tools to do this. It’s a shame they are expected to jump through so many hoops to achieve this and get hammered when the Home Office is also culpable. In the end these companies will either get out of the market or charge stupid prices to compensate for the risk of being involved in a market that is so politcally sensitve.

Final point, rather than exculsively feeling sorry for Moat and his alleged neglect by the authorites might be worth sparing a thought for those who were directly involved, had to deal with the incidents and had their legitimate lives disrupted by one individual. I personally believe the welfare of one individual in this case was incorrectly prioritised over the welfare (and lives) on many, many others.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

Just pointing out that your statement that it was fact was false.

So, Moat wasn’t a deranged psychopath then?

Interesting.

Not that one, this one:

Or a person with severe mental illness who’d tried to get help but had been ignored… it’s the truth

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yep, that’s true also.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Misleading headline of the day award goes to..’ is closed to new replies.