Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Miserable roadies, an apology.
  • bigad40
    Free Member

Firstly, yes I ride a road bike in Lycra.
    I know ‘miserable roadies’ has often been a topic here,
    Over the last few road rides a few small incidents helped me see the light.
    And so I’d like to apologise for all the name calling.
    3 weeks ago I was out on my first long ride (for me) in a long time, after 35 miles my legs were toast, my back was killing me and my Arse was about to disown me and so the last thing I wanted to do was greet anyone!
    Today and last Saturday I was out nice and early before the traffic but there were 2 motorists who missed me by a ball hair trying to pass me, both I caught up with at the traffic lights, both I tapped on the window and asked if they wouldn’t mind allowing me a little more space, both apologised. One was a van driver, I drive a van, the other a Mercedes driver, I drive a Mercedes (ahem van)!
    So in 3 rides I have had to really concentrate on what I’m doing, riding my bike and loving it!
    So I whole heartedly apologise to all roadies that have never returned a nod or ‘Morning’!
    And I look forward to ignoring you all, just don’t look like you need a little help because I will ask.
    Signed.
    A mamil.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Meh and a roadie nod.

Try walking, not everyone says hello back y’know.

Miserable walkers!

Then some won’t stop talking lol

garage-dweller

How do I communicate blankly staring at a spot twenty feet in front of the OP and then ignoring his post. I could just have not posted but then he wouldn’t know I was deliberately ignoring him. Bother and now he’s getting attention because he doesn’t want any. In fact maybe I win then or maybe he does. I’m confused , what was my point again.

xyeti
    Free Member

I’ve been guilty of tarnishing Roadies with the miserable fookers tags amongst others,

Last week I was out On a 65 miler when I found myself catching a group up to my front and then realised I’d got some one on my wheel, before I knew it I was being wafted along at a rapid rate and before much longer I was hanging out, a group of about 10 riders came towards us I couldn’t even raise an eyebrow, a few nodded and 1 or 2 lifted a hand, it was at this point I realised why roadies often look miserable, I was breathing out of my Arse.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Riding a road bike makes me miserable too.

km79
    Free Member

Misery loves company.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Amazingly some road riders are nobbers and so are some MTB ers and any other grouping you choose to pick at random

The real reason is it sometimes its hard to acknowledge when travelling fats and many MTB ers dont notice the finger twitch or the gentle head nod.

opusone
    Free Member

I went out on a (mountain bike) ride with a mate who’s new to biking the other day. The one, tiny bit of road we cycled on, we happened to get overtaken by a peloton of mamils who boxed my friend in and he almost cycled into a parked car.

I’m not sure what my point is, apart from the fact that this particular peloton can get in the sea.

mattyfez

I guess sometimes your so knackered it’s all you can do to keep pedalling, I imagine that happens more often with roadies..

I’ve been there myself.. The back end of a long ride and just looking at someone seems like a lot of effort.. So it makes you look rude where in reality you’re just so burned out you don’t have the energy to care,

sparkyrhino

I will be breaking my road cherry, in the near future.Its a 40mile ride,with my new lady friend,who is an accomplished rider,got the use of a mates bike,will be on flats,baggies and a visored helmet.I for one will not be miserable,She has said I should stay on her wheel,and will be staring at the lycra bum the whole way round 😀
    Just for balance we will be going out on the correct bikes,as per the deal

anotherstan
    Free Member

Sparky, you should be ashamed of yourself. Road bike indeed!
    Obviously, I will not be speaking to you on tomorrow’s (mtb)social. In fact, don’t turn up, you’re not invited!!!

PS – Please forward pics of aforementioned “lycra bum”

sparkyrhino

Indeed Stan, I should be banned,I feel ashamed!!Pics too follow!!

globalti
    Free Member

I once told a kid on a jump bike he was rude after he blanked me and my pals on mountain bikes. I just thought somebody ought to tell him, that was all.

rOcKeTdOg

I’d have been miserable riding a road bike today, flipping raw enough weather on the mtb this morning.

For what it’s worth I give a both hands six-shooter salute to oncoming riders

TiRed

Lifts forefinger from drops in acknowledgement. I fixed two bikes on my last long solo road ride.. We aren’t all miserable all of the time.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Its a 40mile ride,with my new lady friend,who is an accomplished rider,got the use of a mates bike,will be on flats,baggies and a visored helmet.I for one will not be miserable

Nah mate; lycra, spds and no visor. She’ll probably dump you otherwise.

If you really want to woo her; slam your stem aswell.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I do delight in calling a cheery”morning” or better still “lovely day” with a big smile when I think a roadie is going to ignore me 😀

scaredypants

I was out today for the first time in ages – road because my mtbs needed some attention and was in a rush

My face was pretty much paralysed by about half an hour in (extreme speed, plus a bit chilly out) so rather than smile at people I think I probably just drooled more as they came past

<checks local paper for pervert alerts> 😳

prawny

I always try to at least nod to other people when I’m out on the roadie, especially when they look like they’re struggling, I’ve developed a pretty decent poker face over the years, I like (barely) hanging onto groups in the evening on my commute and pretending I’m breezing along with the rack and panniers on. Works ok until the road points properly upwards.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Miserable roadies, an apology.’ is closed to new replies.