• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • MIPS helmets
  • reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Anyone use a Giro MIPS helmet(looking at the Savant)? Do they feel any different in terms of movement of the shell on the head or is the actual MIPS movement too small to make any difference. what are the general feelings on the MIPS system.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“that” independent helmet website reckons MIPS is a dubious benefit – helmets slide around on your head anyway.

jimdubleyou

I find my MIPS Montaro more comfortable than the Hex it replaced, even though it is closer fitting.

I remain dubious about the benefits of MIPS but not having a major head smashing accident with either helmet, I can’t compare the two empirically.

Trimix
    Free Member

Marketing will make any claim seem amazing.

As I wear a buff under my helmet I figured Id just get a normal helmet.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Good point-I use a buff summer & winter

legend
    Free Member

MIPS helmets are becoming so common that it’s barely worth thinking about unless you really, really, like (or dislike) the claims that go with it. Certainly not worth getting put off by a helmet having MIPS, just check it fits as you’d hope anyway

Trimix
    Free Member

There was a big difference in price between my non MIPS one and the same helmet with MIPS.

GolfChick
    Free Member

All the new troy lee designs helmets have MIPs by default, in need of a helmet to replace my older and now bashed troy lee so may ended up forced into MIPs. Only other helmet I saw I really liked was the Montara but heard mixed reviews about the liner of it so this has put me off… plus…. how much?!?!

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Giro Chronicle here, it feels like a helmet. Doesn’t move any more than helmets of old, probably less actually due to the back coming lower on modern helmets.

eshershore
    Free Member

watch out if buying an existing design (shell) that the manufacturer has retrofitted MIPS into – it reduces circumference by 3cm

I am medium in Giro helmets, at the top of the range (58cm) and cannot wear a Savant MIPS in medium (the large is too sloppy), whereas my normal Savant medium fits fine

my Chronicle MIPS is an awesome fit, easily the best open face I’ve had yet

jonba
    Free Member

I don’t know how relevant this is but I went from a Bell Gage to a Bell Gage mips after a crash. No discernable difference other than a thin bit of yellow plastic and an increase in price – same size etc. Seems like snake oil marketing to me but most top end helmets now come with it.

iainc

I got a Synthe MIPS the other week. Feels the same as non MIPS, though a shade smaller as others have said.

I had a few Montaro MIPS ones and i noticed the movement of the MIPS when I had a Joystick on the top, not otherwise. I replaced with a non MIPS POC Tectal

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘MIPS helmets’ is closed to new replies.