Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • Mint Sauce making me smile
  • andrewy

I’m another longstanding fan of yours Jo, and I too would love a book of mint. I think you are to British mountain biking what Helms is to British road riding, with a similar talent for precisely summing up its culture. Thanks 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

there is often talk of a book, but it’s not just as simple as ‘doing a book’, but the time has never been more right, in terms of the technology being available to make it easier than ever before, and the need to get it done before the fan-base dies out this also includes doing ltd. ed. prints and cufflinks

I love the art work. I’d like a print or two. A book would be fantastic. DO IT

qwerty
    Free Member

Please.

tinybits
    Free Member

Has anyone got a key ring I can borrow?

JoB
    Free Member

tinybits – Member

that took ten hours, you lot are slacking 🙂

DickBarton

Hell yeah…book or books…my collection got removed but I had a fair few stashed away, would love prints but suspect they’d be too rich for me…although I’m sure I’d be more than ready to order a few if the chance arrived.

Annoyingly it is 1 page of a mag…can mbuk not do a run of all the pages since creation? I’d happily pay a fair chunk for several ‘mags’ of those. (see, even after just saying I doubt I could afford them, I’ve instantly said I’d pay well!)

I’m in…please!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Calvin and Hobbes and Mint Sauce, love them both. I still have a Mint Sauce mug which must be over 20 years old. Don’t know what happened to the t shirt.

pictonroad

Mint Sauce means a ridiculous amount to me, it’s embarrassing.

I’m alone in a hotel room and no way am I looking t those “Dad” strips, never knew mine. Grew up biking all hours of every day and mint sauce was my bible. 12 years ago I moved down south and I looked up one July evening bike ride on the downs, and I was in a mint sauce strip, took me a mo to drop into reality.

I was on a summer downs ride 6 years and got a call to say my Mum had died in an accident, bloody cartoon haunting me.

Jo, I would sell my family into penury for prints or to kickstart a book, get on it. 😉

liquid
    Free Member

Wonderful and wonderment are words that always spring to mind, and I’m never sure how I can spend so much time lost in a single page – I can’t remember the story but the words ‘never loose faith in the colour of the sky’ came from one strip and the words pop into my head from time to time and they always seem to keep me good.

I’d echo others please release some prints 🙂

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

“The sun stumbles bleary eyed of a morning and falls through the clouds”
    I still remember that from a poster I had on my bedroom wall when I was 12!

I’m not a massive art lover, most of it doesn’t have any personal meaning to me, that’s probably why our house has a few photos up and that’s it. I told my other half a few years ago that I’d love some Mint Sauce prints but alas to no avail. It reminds me of a time where mtbing seemed simple, of drooling over the square box section Pace bikes with Manitou forks whilst I’d be lucky to afford a pair of X-Lite bar ends. I’m gutted that I threw away my old mbuk mags-especially the one with Caroline Alexander on the front cover. So c’mon Jo, the masses are asking…..do it

Diane
    Free Member

JoB – I don’t need a key ring as I have some earrings 😉 However, a book……do it!

swanny853

I would part with money for something mint sauce related! I have the inside of a cupboard door covered in old ones (it’s vaguely subtle- see them when I grab some MTB kit) and some are getting a bit tatty!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

JoB – Member

tinybits – Member

that took ten hours, you lot are slacking

I still think your a twit for what you did to me & I have never since & will never again buy a publication that feeds you, I hope your still enjoying the free things I sent you, carma will be mine 🙂

ferrals
    Free Member

A book would be brilliant.

Would also be amazing to get some more of the orange mint sauce jerseys made!

meeeee
    Free Member

+1 for a book, I’d contribute to a kickstarter project

mrhoppy

Book and prints would be awesome, do it

Rubber_Buccaneer

Love the cartoons but no way would I pay money up front for anything Mint Sauce related after the last fiasco.

D0NK

also interested in a book

this is getting a bit faded now 😕
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/tSC8ew]mint[/url] by Dave, on Flickr

Northwind

Always like seeing this in the valley, though it’s getting a bit faded

bigrich

if this guy can sell prints http://jimllpaintit.bigcartel.com/category/prints so can Jo

finbar
    Free Member

I got goosebumps looking at some of the early cartoons in this thread. It’s so silly, it’s a cartoon sheep, but Mint just gets me right *there*.

I was so pleased to finally get hold of a Jo Burt print last year (of the Morvelo City Cross), but add me to the list for a Mint one.

nikk
    Free Member

It seems crazy these aren’t available in a proper book. I can hardly read them on the screen, and I don’t buy MTB mags, but I’d buy a book and maybe select prints at the drop of a hat.

thepodge
    Free Member

Didn’t Jo say something along the lines of “I could do a book but I don’t want to”?

Seems fair to me

johnnystorm

iirc he said something like “I could do a book but it’d take 6 months to do it properly, and I haven’t got 6 months clear”. or summink.

lovewookie

Mint is just one of those things, those things that makes me feel less isolated when unable to eloquantly put to non bikers why it is I love messing about on bikes.

Saves a lot of explaining, then retracting, then re-explaining, because it’s just more than ‘that’.

teethgrinder

Ahead of the curve. Enduro-specific strip…

Northwind

I can’t find the “THE DEMONS!” strip but that’s how I feel any time there’s a mechanical on a group ride.

nikk
    Free Member

It seems a long time, but I can see how it would take that long if he was trying to do it all himself.

Thing is, the creative process and mindset is a different set of skills from what it takes to produce something. Not that one person can’t do both, but it is harder and takes longer.

What needs to happen is to hire an editor for a few weeks to help Jo get everything together and select what is to be published, then Jo can let it go and the editor can see it through. Could do that on kickstarter, would likely need to find an editor first that had done that kind of thing before, and they could price the whole thing up.

It’s not rocket science, strips are published all the time.

mikehealey
    Free Member

How good would it be to see Mint Sauce in Singletrack rather than MBUK, can someone try and persuade Jo to write for this magazine instead!

nikk
    Free Member

All this stuff is beautiful.

Jo, the world needs this stuff published in good quality tomes. Please 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

It seems a long time, but I can see how it would take that long if he was trying to do it all himself.

Creative person wants creative control over their work… farm it out and it’ll be good but never EXACTLY how you’d want it done.

How good would it be to see Mint Sauce in Singletrack rather than MBUK, can someone try and persuade Jo to write for this magazine instead!

Been said many times but so has MBUK is the spiritual home and its not moving.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Jo could come up with a new cartoon for STW, maybe a CX bike riding labrador?

wwaswas

CX bike riding labrador?

Bearded Collie, surely 😉

nikk
    Free Member

I don’t think it is farming it out. A good editor will facilitate the process and help make the vision come to life. They will let the artist focus on the art, help make decisions, and organize all the more tedious chores that come with such a project.

teadrinker
    Free Member

I’d love a book of the collection. Can happily sit next to my Calvin & Hobbes complete collection 🙂

Northwind

The trouble with a complete collection is we’d have to kill Jo first. I love Mint, but not that much.

MrNice
    Free Member

Creative person wants creative control over their work… farm it out and it’ll be good but never EXACTLY how you’d want it done.

there’s creative control and there’s being precious. it’s pretty common for artists to get an assistant to do some of the donkey work

personally I’d love a good quality print or two (a book wouldn’t get looked at)

mamadirt
    Free Member

with reference to what’s up there, i had a brief conversation about the ‘That’s My Boy’ strip with someone on twitter, they let me know they pressed a folded up copy of the strip into their father’s hand the last time they saw them…

Was on my kitchen wall for a while and when we went to say our last goodbye it just seemed right to take it with me . . .

Thanks again Jo 😀

kayla1
    Free Member

+1 Calvin and Hobbes and Mint Sauce 😀 I’d put towards a Kickstarter book!

Stevet1
    Free Member

Looking through my old stickers for something for my son I found a bunch of mint sauce stickers from MBUK and also a Mint temporary tattoo 🙂 . No I ain’t selling.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Mint Sauce making me smile’ is closed to new replies.