Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Minority of one
  • Grizla
    Free Member

I’d say don’t knock it until you’ve tried it a few times.
    Took me a good few rides to remember that I could now drop my seat.

I always fancied one, but couldn’t justify it. Had a rush of blood one day though, and ordered one. I’m glad I did now, I use it more than I ever thought I would. And like others, I rode for years without one.

I think the issue is that it is just a seatpost. If it was something with a bit more substance, but that had the same effect, it might be easier to justify.

soobalias
    Free Member

not half as good as people like to make out, but thats the same of all high price kit.

its a nice gimmick to piss people off with.

as soon as you drop your post, everyone you are with thinks they should…. then ten seconds later when the trail isnt as steep or jumpy as predicted you can raise your saddle again leaving others with the option of stopping or riding on the pedals.

but just like the ‘arms race’ of lights – by the time everyone has one, whats the point

nickc

ps. In the 90s we used to say “We don’t ride anywhere where it’s necessary” about suspension forks..

The looks I got riding around the Chilterns on 4″ manitou X-verts ( they were shockingly bad)

I don’t think suss forks and dropper posts are in the same league, I don’t ride faster with my post out of the way, tried it, doesn’t work, whereas forks… Different story.

It’s odd I always thought of dropper posts for the sorts of trails that were super nadgery and steep, and people are saying in fact they use them more for the sort of flowy track where I think I don’t need it, which will i admit, need thinking about. Trouble is: learned behaviour is hard to overcome. 😀

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s a convenience thing. You could stop to adjust you’re saddle height, but it ruins the flow of the ride. You might just set and forget your saddle – fine of that suits your style of riding. But having one makes it easier to drop and raise your saddle which means you’re more likely to do it more often, which means you’ll further develop your skills and be a better rider as a result. They are pricy but so are most thing in the cycling world, but its the sort of thing that you buy once.

Edric64
    Free Member

They are pricy but so are most thing in the cycling world, but its the sort of thing that you buy every time a new niche comes around

Just like golf clubs and surf boards

rOcKeTdOg

you can get dropper golf clubs and surf boards? whatever will they think of next!

crikey
    Free Member

But having one makes it easier to drop and raise your saddle which means you’re more likely to do it more often

Yes, I see this bit…

which means you’ll further develop your skills and be a better rider as a result.

No, this bit doesn’t follow…

There is an assumption that only people who drop their saddles are able to ride at a high level, which is a matter of opinion, rather than any kind of fact.

flap_jack
    Free Member

ps. In the 70s we used to say “We don’t ride anywhere where it’s necessary” about mountain bikes…

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Minority of one’ is closed to new replies.