Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Minor hit and run. Is this a start of a lot of hassle?
  • fanatic278
    Free Member

The wife’s car got hit at a car park today in Exeter city centre. The culprit left the scene, but a witness took the registration and left a note on our windscreen. A bit of simple detective work and I find out it’s a 2003 Nissan Almera with valid tax.

The police haven’t been properly involved yet (wife couldn’t get through on the phone). But we’ll head to the station tomorrow morning.

So what’s the best plan of action from here? I want the damage fixed, but am I in for the long haul to get this resolved?

Jamie
    Free Member

but am I in for the long haul to get this resolved?

If the car park has CCTV, and you have a witness, hopefully not. Even if you are, you want to see it through.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

^^^ spot on.

Call car park/shop.
    Inform police.
    Inform insurance.

Get witness details/statement.

Accidents happen, that’s why we buy insurance and to protect others.
    The other driver did a runner – no need.

andyl
    Free Member

Notify the police and your insurers. The insurers will chase theirs for the money and the police will hopefully go have a word.

Problem is it needs proving and insurers quite often don’t like hassle and want to go 50:50 at best or in this case just dump it all on you.

Alternative – get a quote from a bodyshop and see how much it’s going to be. See if the other driver wants to pay up instead of claiming – get their details from the police.

Speshpaul

from experiance of this happening to 3 people i know a bobby knocking on their front door normally makes them willing to sort out the insurance.

but don’t let them skin the the door, either a new door or beat and fill the original. Replacement skins are never good news, fit – rusting etc.

anagallis_arvensis

As long as the witness is reliable it shoup be ok. Contact police asap. Happend to my old m
    an. It all got sorted fairly easily and women got done for leaving the scene.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

In short? No. It’s not too hard to get their insurance details. I had similar the other week in the bike. I now have all his details via the police.

fanatic278
    Free Member

I should add that the witness left an anonymous message.

Here’s hoping it’s as smooth a ride as some of you suggest!

Jamie
    Free Member

I should add that the witness left an anonymous message.

…and any CCTV?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Minor hit and run. Is this a start of a lot of hassle?’ is closed to new replies.