Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • minor guardian rant
  • mrmo
    Free Member

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/feb/03/vanity-fair-future-all-white

who gives a **** surely there should be a wheel chair bound black lesbian dwarf on the cover? It is a cover why should it automatically have some political raison d'etre?

ourmaninthenorth

Might I direct you to a newspaper more in line with your views:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk

Junkyard
    Free Member

The article managed to make sure they covered the main caucasian hair colours but still veryone was white.

Either no one noticed that their "stars of the next decade" cover effectively says there isn't a ­single up-and-coming black actor on the planet they considered ­worthy of ruining the aesthetic of their alabaster line-up, or they did notice but simply didn't care. I'm not sure which is worse.

Think they are suggesting it is a wee bit racist and they may have a point.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrmo
    Free Member

my view is not racist, more concerned that the piece makes play on the fact the cover is a political statement. There are no men on the cover so is that sexist?

How should a cover be constructed? should there be a white, a hispanic, a black, a south Asian, a east Asian, an Inuit, etc. I'd rather the effort went into an article, which she does say mentions black actors, than into producing a politically correct cover.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

the article says: "A row of elegantly coiffed pretty young things gaze out from the gatefold"
    which implies wider than the cover with more models

grumm
    Free Member

Maybe the piece is over the top, but the fact is that racism is alive and well. Despite all the idiots who claim the white male is now the most discriminated against, research shows people from ethnic minorities are routinely disadvantaged in all sorts of ways.

If that didn't exist, it might make people bleating about PC gone mad a little more easy to take seriously.

Junkyard
    Free Member

my view is not racist, more concerned that the piece makes play on the fact the cover is a political statement. There are no men on the cover so is that sexist?

No one said your view was racist did they? I bet very few men read Vanity fair – like arguing there are no road bikes in MTB mag.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

better to rant about injustice and discrimination than minor overcompensation…

surfer
    Free Member

better to rant about injustice and discrimination than minor overcompensation…

I think I know what you mean SFB and I think I agree.
    I am a Guardian reader however there are sufficient injustices and examples of racism and sexism that are blighting peoples lives to discuss and rail against.
    This isnt one of them but its nice and twee!

Nick

It's written by a black women columnist who has taken offence to a piece that appears to overlook non-whites, I would say her opinion and right to express it is entirely acceptable, you don't have to agree with her, or me.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘minor guardian rant’ is closed to new replies.