Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Minnaar
  • Stevet1
    Free Member

<Warning, contains some Minnaaaaaar fanboi frothing content>
    Okay I know he’s an amazing rider, but a couple of years ago (2014-2015?) it looked like Minnaars chances for more DH glory was all but over, he was a sideshow and mentor to Brycleland, and the contrast between the two made him out to be some sort of obsessive tech nerd. He had a surprise win (at Ft William?) last year, but this year he’s been on fire. He has speed, technical ability and it seems a level head to lay it all down in an almost flawless run after flawless run on all sorts of tracks. The world cup overall is almost within his grasp, and I wouldn’t count out the double at the world champs as well. He won his first world cup in 2001 ffs! how is he still winning races? and in such a commanding manner as well? Was the “Peaty and Bryceland show” distracting him too much from racing? Has he just really found a bike that suits him well? Whatever the hell has happened to him in the last year or two I want some*.
    Greg – for your unswerving dedication to the pursuit of speed, and your amazing bike handling skills (see the bermed section through the trees at Vallnord 2 weeks ago) I salute you.

(*Apart from a 29’er, obvs*)
    (** Don’t make this into a 29’er fest, that was a tongue in cheek comment)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

GOAT

Warning man crush content

Rorschach
    Free Member

I used to live across the road from Matt Farmer (OG dh’er) back in the day.He had some lanky lad staying with him whilst he raced in the Uk,who talked proper funny.He came up to our local trails (which were’nt small) and was eyeing them up…..before riding through them backwards smoother than I could in the right direction.
    His name was Greg too 8)

Stevet1
    Free Member

I remember Matt, used to ride for Raleigh with Emma Guy? a mate had one of their old 853 DH frames, used to smack the seat tube at full compression 🙂
    I also remember that story about the trails, think it may have been in Dirt or something like that pre-internet era. Yeah the lad’s got skills!

rocketman
    Free Member

He has speed, technical ability and…

…the hair

Don’t forget the hair

alexxx
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0ihV3rhHsw[/video]

Dark-Side

Makes you think.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I think he carries himself as a smug ****, a bit like the Federer of DH. Those specs and that hair, like something from Dynasty.

But, by all accounts he’s a good un, so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

nedrapier

Don’t look into his eyes, you’ll get lost…

P-Jay
    Free Member

One thing he’s got and always had is consistency – Downhill racing will always have it’s share of ‘Win it or bin it’ racers, especially at Worlds. If push came to shove, I don’t think he’s the fastest racer on the field per-se, but the ones who are faster are closer to the edge and they’re the guys who crash, or make mistakes that cost more time or destroy their bikes – he’s the fastest because he’s got the best mind by the standard of WC DH he is pretty restrained – sometimes that means he wins, sometimes it means he comes 2nd 3rd, 5th 9th or whatever – but it also means he’s right back there for the next race and not missing the rest of the season with injury. It’s that trait that he shares with the ‘other GOAT’ Rossi, who is a similar age too – both sets of fans (downhill and MotoGP) have been making noises for a few years about age/retirement and them being past their best perhaps, and just as you start to doubt them, that’s when they seem to come back and blitz the rest of the field.

I think WC DH is still very competitive and GM like everyone else still needs the planets to align for him to win – this years has been very good for him, blah blah blah yeah 29” wheels, I personally don’t think the wheelsize is the key per-se, it does suit his smooth style, but more than that it’s created a great big bike for a great big rider and he says the first one that’s actually fits him.

bigjim

swoon

happybiker
    Free Member

I grew up in the same town as Greg and his mom owned the LBS, I remember him leaving school early to go and race in Switzerland, around 95 I guess. (I think he was riding for Cannondale and had a Super v with some Bomber forks) We all knew he was good but I never imagined his career would last as long as it has.

He’s done ok with his level headedness and amazing skills…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

All that frothing and you didn’t even mention the hair. Disapointing.

Won’t make it in the one life crew at this rate.

zomersetglider

maturity & an element of calculated riding this year…he doesn’t take a risk, just rides careful lines.
    Like P-Jay says he’s not the fastest but he’s just a little more careful and rather than the gung-ho look at me styling things up he chooses the “in it to win in option” with more thought.

His hairstyle reflect his riding

Fair play to him, lots of bro-love for the dude.

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9ad2PnKw-Y[/video]
    @18.28 😯

Stevet1
    Free Member

push came to shove, I don’t think he’s the fastest racer on the field per-se, but the ones who are faster are closer to the edge and they’re the guys who crash

If you look at the Vallnord round, Hart was on the ragged edge all the way down, was amazing to watch but all those untidy slides etc cost him time. Greg was faster by reigning it in just a tad, although he did have one small mistake at the end which to his credit Brosnan then was able to capitalise on by also laying down a stormer.

he’s not the fastest

Well clearly a lot of the time he IS the fastest?

Cheers Rorschach, gonna watch that later, got it on VHS somewhere but nothing to play it on!

AlexSimon

he’s not the fastest

Well clearly a lot of the time he IS the fastest?

[/quote]Yes, and even though he personally found it difficult to celebrate the win on Sat, he won because he didn’t stuff his bike into sharp rocks. I don’t really get this ‘unlucky puncture’ thing. Whenever I puncture, I know it was my own fault.

BoardinBob

The GOAT

and Greg Minnaar

Stevet1
    Free Member

loving the metal fingers there Bob.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

loving the metal fingers there Bob.

Bob had just dropped his banana…

rs
    Free Member

he’s pretty much said it is the bike fitting him better, because of the big wheels, and the young ones motivating him again.

wallop

Moist.

chakaping
    Free Member

He’s always seemed very professional and focused, but I’ve not really warmed to him until recently.

Probably cos he’s gone from being one of three or four big guns way ahead of the rest of the field to an underdog who was expected to retire – and now he’s worked his way back to the top again.

Not exactly my type, but I don’t think it’s very fair for someone with his skills to also be such a dreamboat.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Minnaar’ is closed to new replies.