Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Minitel
  • mrjmt
    Free Member
    alexpalacefan

I remember learning about this in Computer Science, that would be around 1985. Mr Myers thought it was absolutely the dog’s bollocks 🙂

Of course the internet hadn’t been invented in them days. The school computer room had to be sound-insulated to stop the noise from the printers disturbing the surrounding classes!

APF

MSP

I remember learning about this in Computer Science

I remember not taking computer science, as it was just a passing fad.

Cougar

Of course the internet hadn’t been invented in them days

The Internet had been around for (arguably) twenty years in them days, it’s the Web that hadn’t been invented yet.

Edukator
    Free Member

I had one of the original terminals then used a PC version until XP by which time the Net had replaced even the Minitel Rose. Googling “Tumblr” and your favourite fetiche produces something slightly more inspiring than the Minitel’s giant pixels.

France felt pretty hi-tech in the 80s, the TGV with orange and brown deco, the brown minitel, chair lifts up to high-altitude, avant-garde resorts with orange and brown appartements (mine still is), the 205 GTI, catholic women on the pill, FM radio (and chasing the channels before RDS), the first snow boards, Voltige clothing… .

molgrips
    Free Member

What was that similar thing you could do, on a BBC micro using the same graphics as Ceefax? We were shown it at some kind of demo when I was about 6 or 7, my Mum ordered some Mars Bars from an online shopping thing then cancelled it.

Cougar

Prestel, you mean?

Cougar

Incidentally,

Would this be a good time for me to mention Mono again?

UK-based BBS from the early 90’s that’s still active today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monochrome_BBS

Go have a play, yell if you need help. (-:

molgrips
    Free Member

Prestel, that’s it!

derek_starship
    Free Member

Blimey. I remember making TGV reservations using Minitel in 1990. I was amazed. I first saw it in an exchange student’s house in Narbonne in 1987. I was amazed. Then I saw the video for Joe le Taxi and forgot all about Minitel….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Trente six….quinze….

derek_starship
    Free Member

CFH you cheeky bleeder! I wasn’t 36 in 1987 😕

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Whooooosh!*

In France the most common dial number was “36 15”, while “36 17” was used by more expensive services. Minitel services names were often prefixed with this number to identify them as such. Thus the “36 15” prefix had the same meaning as the “.com” suffix now has for Internet web sites; billboard ads at the time often consisted of nothing more than an image, a company name, and a “36 15” number, the fact that a Minitel service was being advertised was then clear by implication.

Donc, j’ai dit trente six quinze…..

Edukator
    Free Member

The four full stops after CFH’s trente-six quinze censor “Ulla” the three in his previous post “cum”. I only ever used “annu” of course.

Edit to add, Ulla:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fmsF6PDXwc[/video]

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Minitel’ is closed to new replies.