Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • ministers take 5% pay cut!
  • StuMcGroo
    Free Member

so, 2 days ago you find out you've got a new job with a big pay rise, then today that rise has been cut by 5% so when you pick up your first pay checque in two weeks time it'll show a big rise minus a little cut…. bummer.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

5 year contract, option to take additional jobs, most expenses paid, £40k a year for partner.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

What will those nasty Tories think of next?

El-bent
    Free Member

They'd have to think a little harder if they think this is going to pull the wool over peoples eyes. (sun reader's excluded.)

ratherbeintobago

They'd have to think a little harder if they think this is going to pull the wool over peoples eyes. (sun reader's excluded.)

Imagine the outcry if they'd put their pay up by 5%. Oh, but I forgot – a Tory government (even one in coalition) can't do anything right, can it? 🙄

Andy

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

It's a gesture – I mean 5% is hardly likely to bring the company back into financial health, but at least they have done something and something positive at that. As you say, much better than all the posturing that has happened in past governments (of all flavours) and the MPs collectively voting for a pay rise.

epicyclo

It's their pocket money. They won't notice.

tron
    Free Member

It's a gesture – I mean 5% is hardly likely to bring the company back into financial health, but at least they have done something and something positive at that.

It's a lot more than I've ever experienced within a business that's hacking everything to the bone…

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Fair enough. Echoes what will happen to public employee salaries over the coming years I think. Can't ask thousands of others to take a pay cut unless you're prepared to take one yourself.

clubber
    Free Member

ratherbeintobago – Member

Imagine the outcry if they'd put their pay up by 5%. Oh, but I forgot – a Tory government (even one in coalition) can't do anything right, can it?

Andy

I think that you've got a point there 😉

SuperScale20
    Free Member

5% is just piss take considering that all the ministers will be earning far more money than they were last week. Anyone who falls for this is an idiot should have been at least 15%.

hora
    Free Member

I blame Thatcher 30yrs ago.

noteeth
    Free Member

Most of 'em don't need the money.

clubber
    Free Member

I blame her now. And that Neville Chamberlain. Dodgy bloke. Never trusted him. Eyes too close together.

the-muffin-man

I blame Churchill – if he'd let that nice Mr Hitler win the war then the whole of Europe would be run in an efficient and orderly manner!

Notter
    Free Member

Better than nothing, and for context 5% is the number the company I work for wanted to apply to all employees globally. Employment laws in the US allowed this to happen without consent of the employee, us Euros on the other hand were asked to opt in…….can't think of a single name over here that did.

To those that are moaning, is -5% better than nothing or would you rather they just didn't bother…..? I'm not saying it shouldn't be higher but better this than Fanny Adams……

donald
    Free Member

This is ridiculous. MPs pay should be increased substantially and the rates should be decided by an independent body. The pay body should reference the pay rates of hospital consultants, lawyers, politicians in other countries and the like. Expenses should be cut radically.

The whole expenses scandal was brought about by MPs being too scared to vote themselves realistic pay increases over many years and then trying to get something back under the counter. Take the matter out of MPs hands and start off from a decent rate.

It's all very well for Cameron and Osbourne to take a pay cut. They are extremely wealthy in their own right. I do not want only people from a wealthy background to see politics as a good career.

Junkyard
    Free Member

done it for the PR – which is very good publicity for them- but really do any of those people look like they are scared where the money for then next gas bill payment is coming from? Easy to cut 5% from your salary when you are a millinairre and dont need the money

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

donald +1

We pay our politicians peanuts in comparison to the rest of the western world. Double, or even trebble their sallary, attract the really good people into politics, and have a set expenses setup. I.e. provide them with an office and flat in London, give them a secretary and researcher from the civil service, anything else is their own problem.

Flaperon

It would be nice if some of the long-time Tory haters on here could give the new government MORE THAN A DAY before launching into the same repetitive whinging and bitching that we've had to put up with for the last 3 months.

I assume those complaining (a) voted in the first place and (b) are prepared to accept a voluntary 15% increase in tax, since they feel that the new government shouldn't be entitled to a pay rise consummate with their new jobs and responsibilities.

I'll see you back here in a year and we'll discuss whether things have improved.

porterclough
    Free Member

donald et al – this is a pay cut for cabinet minister salaries, not MP salaries. Not the same thing at all.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Donald – the last thing we need are career politicians, one of the new Labour MPs is barely out of nappies University. Let them get out and get a proper job first, experience the world outside Westminster, and then go into politics.
    fwiw the LibDem cabinet ministers are also loaded after senior jobs in the City or industry.

ratherbeintobago

This is ridiculous. MPs pay should be increased substantially and the rates should be decided by an independent body. The pay body should reference the pay rates of hospital consultants, lawyers, politicians in other countries and the like. Expenses should be cut radically.

The Review Body on Senior Salaries is nominally independent & is responsible for setting MPs' salaries, in line with the civil service. When you take into account expenses (which senior doctors don't get) MPs' pay is pretty similar to hospital consultant's pay. As lawyers are (mainly) in the private sector, their pay varies wildly.

Andy

kimbers

eton, oxbridge, etc

as this parliament is the most toff laden in a while i suspect none of them have to worry how long it is till pay day each month 5% makes very little difference

not that im bitter but i make my own sarnies every day, i wonder if they do?

jimster
    Free Member

So how much does the average Cabinet Minister earn?

Does this cut put them just below the super tax band? 😕

aracer
    Free Member

oxbridge

That's far from a guarantee, or even an indicator that you're loaded.

The thing is with suggesting upping the salary to attract the best – I'm not sure I want MPs/ministers doing it just for the money either. It's not as if even a basic MP's salary is exactly putting them on the breadline.

ratherbeintobago

Ask and ye shall receive – link (though this hasn't been updated with the 5% cut yet)

Does this cut put them just below the super tax band?

Looks like they were well below it to begin with; PM isn't, but even with the cut he'll still be over the threshold.

Andy

porterclough
    Free Member
    noteeth
    Free Member

That's far from a guarantee, or even an indicator that you're loaded.

Indeed. 😳

IanMunro
    Free Member

Roughly 145K, so slightly less than 3 Birmingham bin men, or 20K more than 1 council electrician 🙂

brooess
    Free Member

Those who come out against our leaders being toffs: In 2004 Churchill was voted Greatest Ever Briton.
    Um he was born in Blenheim Palace. If you've ever seen it, it's quite a big house. In fact, it's a palace. His father was a Lord. He was landed gentry.
    Did a damn good job in trying times by all accounts

kimbers

yeah but surely eaton is

and while i acknowledge that oxbridge doesnt = minted having worked at part of cambridge uni for a few years i can assure you that the bulk of students parents earn way above the national average

it does seem a shame that if you want to work as a politician to better the country youd best make sure you are from a certain demographic

ie white, well off and male

kimbers

churchill was also voted out of office after the war as he was bitterly opposed to the formation of a national health service for everyone

being pm during a war doesnt make you any more able to relate to the needs of the little person

Farmer_John
    Free Member

it's not just a 5% cut in salary, the number of cabinet seats has been reduced as well, so it's case of more responsibility AND a 5% cut for those in the cabinet. Which is a pretty sensible approach really.

tron
    Free Member

as this parliament is the most toff laden in a while i suspect none of them have to worry how long it is till pay day each month 5% makes very little difference

A great deal of politicians went to private school. It's just that some joined the Conservative Club and others joined the Marxist Society at uni…

They're all the same privileged bunch.

aracer
    Free Member

having worked at part of cambridge uni for a few years i can assure you that the bulk of students parents earn way above the national average

I can assure you that unless by "bulk" you mean a large minority or by "way above" you mean a bit more, that you're wrong. I don't suppose that you actually know specifically what any parent of a Cambridge student earned, whilst I've met quite a few parents and been to their houses, and though they were generally in good professional jobs (a bit like most of those on here), none of them were loaded.

kimbers

face it the odds against anyone on here having a child who will ever be PM or even an MP are very low

unless your of course your kids are currently at eaton and you think the football players at your golf club are lowering the tone no matter how many maseratis they own

aracer
    Free Member

being pm during a war

You do realise that wasn't the only time Churchill was PM?

aracer
    Free Member

face it the odds against anyone on here having a child who will ever be PM or even an MP are very low

Indeed – probably about as low as the chances of your child being England football captain or playing in the Premiership 🙄

mefty
    Free Member

Just because you went to a major public school such as Eton does not necessary mean you have vast wealth, I know plenty of people who did and haven't. There are scholarships (Eton would have had 5 100% fee scholarships in Cameron's day), bursaries or some employers (notably the services and the foreign office) pay a proportion of the fees. Quite a few ways to go without it costing the earth, then there are parents who think such an education is important and sacrifice everything to put their children through it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘ministers take 5% pay cut!’ is closed to new replies.