Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Minion or High Roller
  • stomlinson
    Free Member

Been using an Advantage and a Crossmark all summer then bought a minion for the front and my plan was to put an Advantage on the rear, but the minion looks really narrow in comparison and looks like its going to be loads better for winter use and now I am thinking should I put another on the rear or go for a 2.35 High Roller.

sharkattack

High Rollers are the greatest tyres ever created and in all honesty they’re the only tyre you will ever need.

nick1962
    Free Member

Tut tut sharkattack
    Progress has clearly passed you by
    High Rollers 2 are now the best tyre ever created.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

HR rear
    Minion front

Classic combo.

sharkattack

I might try them when my 6 fresh originals are gone. I promise I have tried many others. Specialized being particularly impressive.
    I always go back to HR’s. Probably my favourite bike product ever.

EDIT: People who run Minions on the front are wrong. They’re the pits.

rugbydick

Can’t stand the HR2 on the rear to be honest. I run Minion DHF front and rear, might be a little bit draggy (supertacky on the front…….) but the all round grip is phenomenal.

stufield
    Free Member

KENDA NEVEGALS – much better then HRs

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Funny, tyres seem so personal. I used to call the Nevegal’s the Kenda Surprise as that’s what it was if I made it round a corner! Unfortunately they didn’t come with a free toy and ended up in a skip in Mynydd Du. Stuck some High Rollers on for the race and loved them. My favourite DH tyre.

coogan
    Free Member

KENDA NEVEGALS – much better then HRs

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Deary me, nice one. Oh. You were serious. 😐

stufield
    Free Member

used to run HR on my 575 but have a bigtop now,, couldn’t get HR wagon wheels at the time and bought Nevegals, i get much better grip then the HRs ever had on my 575?? But may depend what and where you ride.

Nevegal up front, Ardent on the rear

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Nevegals are actually a really decent tire. One of the DMR riders runs them pretty much exclusively with sometimes stunning results. He lent me a set for a race run not too long ago and i began to believe 🙂

sobriety
    Free Member

Tyres are personal preference, I hate High Rollers on the front, I can’t get on with the dead space between the centre tread and the side lugs. I love minions, as they’re really progressive and stick like shit to a blanket in super tacky. YMMV.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I tried a 60a compound Minion (F) and High Roller (R) on my hardtail at the weekend…I didn’t lack grip anywhere, but bloody hell was it hard work!

I swapped the HR for an Ardent and I’ve got a really nice all round setup, the Minion rolls very well up front and seems to have an awful lot of turning bite. I preferred it to running the HR up front, I can’t get my head around the Grip-Whoa!-Grip feeling, especially on some of the chalky, off camber stuff round my way.

Someone will be along to tell me I’ve got it all wrong in a minute, which is what tyre threads here are all about.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Nevegals are actually a really decent tire

The same tyre that got the name the Nevagrip? Really?

EDIT: People who run Minions on the front are wrong. They’re the pits.

Blimey! Best inform all those world cup DH racers who use them, and all the other riders who are sponsored by other tyre companies who use blacked out Minions too!

PJM1974
    Free Member

I liked Nevegals, but a) I wasn’t riding fast enough to overstep the limit and b) the sidewalls are only slightly more durable than wet bog roll.

sharkattack

I can’t get on with the dead space between the centre tread and the side lugs

Eh?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Eh?

Yep – that’s the Grip-Whoa!-Grip thing I alluded to earlier. You have to lean the bike over and trust it to dig in. There’s a gap of about 4mm between the central part of the tyre and the side knobs that doesn’t have any tread at all.

mulv1976
    Free Member

Yep – that’s the Grip-Whoa!-Grip thing I alluded to earlier. You have to lean the bike over and trust it to dig in. There’s a gap of about 4mm between the central part of the tyre and the side knobs that doesn’t have any tread at all.

There was a thread a while back about HR being terrible in the mud. The general opinion (after lots of the usual arguments) was that you have to be more aggressive ie lean over more into corners, with the HR otherwise that gap in the tyre bites you in the ass…

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

The same tyre that got the name the Nevagrip? Really?

Hmmm maybe i was wrong to base my judgement on first hand experience and instead I should have believed the hype surrounding an almost funny pun.

Northwind

Prefer nevegals to highrollers myself- sticke nevegal (especially with half the intermediate knobs cut off to make it less of a clog-beast) is a great allrounder.

Minion > Highroller for me, only place the HR has the minion beat is when it slides on the rear, minions are a bit ugly when they break loose…

stomlinson
    Free Member

PJM1974 how do you find the Ardent in wet shitty conditions I mostly ride natural terrain with a lot of rock and roots and how do they blow up in comparison? Looking for something that’s going to grip well, not clog and not drag, tall order I know. I did used to run HR front and rear but can’t really recall them being too draggy. Once made the mistake of buying a 2.1 HR blew it up didn’t even bother trying it.

tom13
    Free Member

I ran dual Ardents then slashed one. Bought a minion for the front and it is the the best tyre i have ever used. Im now going to go dual minions front and rear when the weather fully turns. The high roller doesn’t seem to have the purchase my mate runs this front and back and I personally don’t think they are even close an an all round tyre.

discoduck
    Free Member

I’m also of the opinion that HR’s are one of the best Bike Products EVER ! 42A front & 60 rear for evrything i ride, Trail Centres, Peaks, Wharncliffe,
    I started off using MAXXIS tyres about 5 years ago with MINIONS / DHF & DHR, i havent used any other tyre manufacturer since.

As suggested above by some one ? theres about 5-10 degrees of what you might call “Float” which might have an un asuming rider in the dirt, you have to lean through it, you cant sit it back up and braking wont work either but it does dig back in and can reward you with some spectacular performance in most conditions. In the proper wet shitty stuff though its like most other tyres, useless……….

I have a set of MINIONS in the Garage but i’ve not used them since using HR’s

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Tyres are personal preference, I hate High Rollers on the front, I can’t get on with the dead space between the centre tread and the side lugs. I love minions, as they’re really progressive and stick like shit to a blanket in super tacky. YMMV.

+1. I hate HRs and never trusted it on the front for this reason. Love Minions.

stevied
    Free Member

Never got on with the HR. Had a 2.35″ 60a single ply Minion up front but wanted a bit more sidewall protection so now have a 2.5″ 3C. Very impressed and works nicely with an ADvantage rear.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Frustrating and crap combo mixing square and round tyres feels wrong.

Minions front and back or HRII’s

chakaping
    Free Member

Love Minions.

Other tyres have tempted me away but I always return, like putting on a trusty pair of walking boots.

Northwind

discoduck – Member

I’m also of the opinion that HR’s are one of the best Bike Products EVER

I started off using MAXXIS tyres about 5 years ago with MINIONS / DHF & DHR, i havent used any other tyre manufacturer since.

Well you seem qualified to compare with other products 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

Looking for something that’s going to grip well, not clog and not drag, tall order I know.

The Ardent is quite a large tyre for a 2.25″ and they work well enough on the back for three seasons. They’re absolutely not fantastic in the mud, nor are they brilliant up front.

The most convincing best of all worlds solution I’ve tried are a set of Black Chili Rubber Queens on my AM bike. They roll well and have impressive levels of grip.

dan1980
    Free Member

I tried HRs and found them oddly terrifying.

I tend to run Advantages tubeless F&B all year, and when the going gets really sloppy, Specialized Storm controls. This combo works well for me in the Peak.

honourablegeorge

sobriety – Member

Tyres are personal preference,

No better illustration of that than Danny Hart’s run at Hafjell on Sunday. He ran a mud spike on the rear, and a dry tyre on the front, because he rides more on the back of the bike.

People get very different things from tyres, depending on how they ride and how they set their bikes up.

chiefgrooveguru

No better illustration of that than Danny Hart’s run at Hafjell on Sunday. He ran a mud spike on the rear, and a dry tyre on the front, because he rides more on the back of the bike.

That is interesting – what tyres were they?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Frustrating and crap combo mixing square and round tyres feels wrong.

Minions front and back or HRII’s

Your mileage evidently varies. 😀

I like the huge grip the minion gives me on the front, and the looser feeling the HR gives on the rear, suits my riding style. Great for the tight singletrack I ride, you can pitch the front in hard, and let the back slide. Great fun.

honourablegeorge

chiefgrooveguru – Member

That is interesting – what tyres were they?

Was mentioned in commentary, so I don’t know exactly, he’s Schwalbe sponsored as far as I know, but most of those pros are on those “first ride” prototype things.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

People get very different things from tyres, depending on how they ride and how they set their bikes up.

That’s class!! Just shows you ey?

nick1962
    Free Member

HR 2s are defintely better than standard HRs imho when used on the front.Different knob arrangement and bigger too.Not tried it on the back as I have plenty of standard HR which are perfectly satisfactory for me
    I found a Minion the rear just couldn’t grip as well as HRs in wet loose gravel, mud or wet grass regularly spinning out.

sharkattack

Are people seriously suggesting that when you lean over on a High Roller you ride along on that little bit of slick tyre and end up in the dirt? I really have no idea what you’re getting at other than people have heard the “oh yeah high rollers, dead spot etc etc…” and just copy each other. I can dig my High Rollers in so much harder than any other tyre. Those side knobs are magic.

The occasions I’ve ran Minions on the front (Whistler, Alps, Fort Bill) I could not get them to stick. They’re noticeably quicker in a straight line but break away so easily.

Mind you, I have no experience of just mincing about STW style.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Personally I’ve never got on with Minions. I’ve tried the dual ply super tacky jobbies as well as the single ply ones.

I love High Rollers and may well go back to them when my Hans Dampfs wear out. They just seem to work for the way I ride bikes and I find that they really dig in when cornering. I didn’t realise how much confidence they gave me until I tried some cheapo Rubber Queens. Night and day.

discoduck
    Free Member

Northwind, i’m not sure what youre getting at ?

Sharkattack, i agree whole heartedly with the side knobs but still reckon Minions grip and dig in way better than the HR’s

The Minions remind me of the old Michelin Comp 16 Front & Comp 24 rear tyre combo that a lot of folk used to run before MAXXIS got a foothold on the tyre scene.

I have tried other tyres, ive got about 20 pairs in the shed of one description and another, i’ve followed threads and bought tyres, loaded the car up and driven to CYB to have the worst riding day ever on a tyre that ive not ridden on and i’m no used to which pinch flats and punctures, now i just stick to what i know and thats the High Rollers, oh and Minions which im contemplating fitting for Glentress & Innerleithen on Saturday ?

Just for Old times sake

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

butcher front, purgatory rear….

spec tyres FTW.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Minion or High Roller’ is closed to new replies.