Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Minion front washing out !!
  • sheepshifter
    Free Member

Seems to be happening a lot!! Is there better ir do I need to drop pressure ( 28psi ) or man up and learn to ride. On a short travel bike being a Orange segment.

Rorschach
    Free Member

the latter

mikewsmith
    Free Member

on the flat? on gravel? on dirt?
    Could be pressure, could be technique, not enough weight on the front of the bike is a classic reason for losing grip

stevied
    Free Member

Try getting more weight on the front. Sounds like you’re leaning on the back too much.

chrishc777
    Free Member

The 3C compound is stickier, and unless you’re riding somewhere extremely rocky with tubes 28 is very high. I run 18psi for the local woods and 24psi for rocky uplift stuff.

But 90% of it will be technique, weight over the front and on the outside pedal

nickc

what size? I’m convinced the 27.5 aren’t anything like as good as the 26″ ones. (probably me though) 😆

downshep

Like this?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The 3C compound is stickier,

It is but you need to be getting quite rowdy the get the regular one stepping out 🙂

br
    Free Member

On a 29?

I run either a HR2 or Shorty on mine, both in 3C. 20-25psi for the HR2 and 15-20psi for the Shorty (stiffer carcass, or feels like it) – rocky around here too.

Or it could also be that you’re not getting enough weight on it.

zerocool

I don’t run mine below 30psi on the front and 35 on the rear as I feel any lower feels too squashy and I don’t like the feel of tyres rolling over on the rim.

Maybe just have a look at your body position on the bike and technique

grahamt1980

Weight over the front, have got minions on all my full sus bikes and they don’t step out unless i hit a patch of sand or gravel.
    I might be going too slow though

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Minions are quite a square profile tyre, so you really need to lean the front end to find the grip.

Pressure sounds fairly high too, I tend to run around 22psi up front.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

20 – 25 psi tubeless

steve_b77
    Free Member

Just give up and buy a road bike

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Minions are quite a square profile tyre, so you really need to lean the front end to find the grip.

Pressure sounds fairly high too, I tend to run around 22psi up front.
    Much rounder than things like the Old HR and HRII, they generally feel like they have consistent grip all round the profile though getting over is a help I’ve never found it as essential on Minions. Pressure will be subjective and dependent on the rider and terrain. I do find more grip lower but at 28ish I get grip I like, less squirm and more predictable grip along with less pinchy moments in the rocky stuff. I was getting my part worn one to grip really well in a variety of conditions and a decent pace over the last few weeks. Weight distribution will have more of an impact than pressure. Also no 2 track pumps ever seem to agree so the hand test seems to work best for me.

BillOddie

20 – 25 psi tubeless

This. And remember they do the grip-drift-grip thing so you need to use the edge.

solamanda
    Free Member

As above, sounds like the tyre pressure is too high. The most I’d ever run in the front is 26psi (81kg rider) on very high speed rocky stuff. Usually nearer 22, which is quite alot softer than 28psi!

ahwiles
    Free Member

your tyres are crap,

i’ll take them off your hands for you, as a favour…

jmatlock
    Free Member

All this talk of pressures is fascinating. I always run mine quite high.

106kg rider, I run 35-40psi.

Should I maybe drop them a bit?

br
    Free Member

No. Drop them a lot 🙂

SirHC

Be aware that the pressure gauages on most track pumps are inaccurate. The Topeak digital gauge is accurate.

Could be a number of things:
    -Not enough weight on the front (bar height, body position)
    -Tyre pressures (If its rocky I will run 20psi front/24psi back, if its off piste soil, will be as low as 16/20 depending on conditions)
    -Cornering technique
    -Dragging front brakes through the corner (you are asking the tyre to turn and brake, there isn’t always enough traction to do both)

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

If you run them at high pressure your effectively reducing the tyre foot print. Its meant to deform and provide grip and some suspension as it deforms over the uneven surface. Pump it up rock hard and you might as well have a solid tyre. High rollers and minions require you to lean like a bitch.

ahwiles
    Free Member

…The Topeak digital gauge is accurate.

mine isn’t…

(not, even, nearly)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It is possible to blame high pressure for poor technique

jimmy

Are your forks diving in corners? Has mikewsmith hit the nail on the head?

Trimix
    Free Member

Experiment with the following:
    Tyre pressure
    Weighting the front

Also given its been bone dry for flipping ages, it could just be washing out due to dusty trails. Whereas previously it was moist and you got more grip.

I’ve noticed my speed on my local trails has gone up, I’m not fitter, its just drier.

tomaso
    Free Member

I will quote plain speaking Australian motogp rider Casey Stoner “Your ambition exceeded your talent”
    It is tough love x Mtfu 😉

chiefgrooveguru

Twice your weight in stone in psi is a good starting point with pressure – bigger or stiffer casings or wider rims or a lighter riding style tend to allow less pressure, skinnier/flimsier tyres or narrower rims or more aggressive technique requires more pressure. Pump it up if it squirms, let it down if it pings or bounces.

Sometimes weighting the front can make things worse by asking the front to do more of the turning work. Experiment!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

On what kinds of corners?

I tend to wash out on switchbacks when I get my weight forward but my head to aggressively out of the bike when looking for the apex.

Running Butcher Grids here, I thought they were skatey at first but have learnt to run much lower pressures (20-22 psi at the front, 30 on the rear) as they give much more casing support than my single ply high rollers did. They’re different beasts now…

soobalias
    Free Member

technique

or distract youself with a digital pressure guage, blingy new bike parts, tyres for every occassion and overanalysing the terrain you are riding.

Euro
    Free Member

Not necessarily technique. Last time i went to a trail centre i found my front (also minion 26″) was washing out on some of the flatter corners. The surface was that rocky gravelly stuff and i was traveling fairly briskly. I put it down to high-ish tyre pressures (tubed around 28psi also) combined with firm forks (Pikes). It’s never been an issue on natural trails that weren’t very wet.

In an ideal world i’d have dropped the psi in the forks and front tyre but i couldn’t be arsed – i like my forks firm for jumping and tyres firm for pedaling up hills and not pinch flatting.

My technique is frawress! 😉

DanW
    Free Member

don’t run mine below 30psi on the front and 35 on the rear

30 psi in my Minions and I don’t need no stinkin’ opinions

sheepshifter
    Free Member

Thanks for replies

nickc

Twice your weight in stone in psi is a good starting point with pressure

for the front? what about the rear?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Cant believe no skills session suggestion

andyl
    Free Member

At 40 psi you must be pinging off rocks.

at 90kg I don’t go over 30psi with tubes, 20-25 psi tubeless.

BruceWee

I had this problem when I switched to a bike with more modern geometry than I was used to. I found that my ‘neutral’ position wasn’t aggressive enough so I really concentrated on getting my back flatter by bending at the hips and my elbows pointed out more. That pretty much sorted my problem.

Unless everything was working great before you started using the Minions I would look at your position first.

frogrocket
    Free Member

Also washed out my Minion front recently – had accidentally left my preload on super-firm and had probably too much pressure in the front (I hate the feel of a draggy bike on climbs) but mainly down to shabby technique I’d say.

I’ve since decided to drop my stem all the way down so no spacers above headset and will be making a more conscious effort to get a bit more weight on the front, like the above poster.

And since no-one mentioned training yet…

I have a photo of me taken at a Jedi training sesh where I’m getting the bike nicely leaned into a berm. Of all the techniques we went over on that day 3 odd years ago I think correct cornering is the one I’ve found the most tricky to stay consistent with but is definitely the most satisfying when you get it right and frustrating when you f*ck it up!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Minion front washing out !!’ is closed to new replies.