Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Minion EXO Tubeless on UST Rims – any issues?
  • honourablegeorge

Thinking of trying these, but wary of them burping if run tubeless on Crossmax SX – anyone using them on UST rims without issue?

BoardinBob

I’m sure one of our guys blew a minion completely off a UST rim with little more than a bunny hop. It had already exploded off the rim the night before just sitting in the cupboard.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yep, had a 2.5 3C mounted on my Crossmax SX for more than a year, solid as a rock.

No burping and no flats – riding rocky stuff in Alps, Lakes, Snowdon etc.

honourablegeorge

Right. That’s not an encouraging start. But a more encouraging second post.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

None from my end. I used them in 26″ (non TR) and once blown up, the bead was almost welded into the rim 😯

I’ve never experienced a tyre so difficult to separate from the rim wall.

I might be talking rubbish here but Crossmax is quite a thin internal width (by modern standards?) with the two sides of the bead being closer together, making the tyre have a rounder profile will cause it to roll/flex more & possibly burp?

nuke

Have a minion exo 2.5 on a Flow rim on the front of my AM bike…been great, burped once on a techy downhill in Molini but that’s the only time. I’d replace with the same

honourablegeorge

Hob Nob – Member

I might be talking rubbish here but Crossmax is quite a thin internal width (by modern standards?) with the two sides of the bead being closer together, making the tyre have a rounder profile will cause it to roll/flex more & possibly burp?

Yeah, there is that. Been eyeing those Syntace wheels.

stevede
    Free Member

I’ve had a minion dhf 2.5 non tr on a flow ex without any issues, one of few tyres that i’ve actually worn out the tread on before i’ve killed! Also had a dhr2 2.3 tr on the rear without issues. My non tr high roller 2 exo blew off the rim on the rear of my hardtail on a flow ex though.

honourablegeorge

Anyone trued the new DHR? Worth getting a DHF/DHR combo, or stick to DHF F&R?

stevede
    Free Member

Erm yep me! Dhr2 is a far superior tyre to the original dhr and bears no resemblance to it whatsoever. Dhf supertacky front and dhr2 60a rear is a great combo imo.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yeah, there is that. Been eyeing those Syntace wheels

They look good, pricey though! As in true STW fashion, I would say have a look at the Derby carbon rims, or maybe the new Light Bike wide rims built onto an off the shelf hub, probably available for the less money, and be lighter?

Anyone trued the new DHR? Worth getting a DHF/DHR combo, or stick to DHF F&R?

Yep, i’m running a DHR2 on the back. It’s actually bloody brilliant. A lot of talk about people running them F&R – something i’m seriously considering.

honourablegeorge

I’m 26″ for the foreseeable, so Derby is out for now.

Re the DHR – are you on wet, rooty stuff, wet rocks, bit of mud? What’s uphill traction like?

stevede
    Free Member

Yeah I read a review in which someone had cut a dhr2 and run it up front and he really rated it. Can’t remember where the review was so just a useless snippet of half information really 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Minion EXO Tubeless on UST Rims – any issues?’ is closed to new replies.