Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Minion DHR2 replacement?
  • funkweasel
    Free Member

I have a Maxxis Minon DHR2 on the back. It has a small tear it in (can’t be more than a couple of mm long) but I think it’s been caused by hitting a rock, taking a small chunk out of the rim, just enough to cause a sharp burr, then dropping off something and it’s damaged the sidewall almost flush with the rim. It won’t seal. Or if it does stop leaking air, it only does it until any sideways pressure is put on it then it’s open again.

I don’t know if it can be patched at all with it that close to the bead, or if it’s just bin fodder. Or I just run with a tube in for the time being and take a few spares with me.

If it’s new tyre time (I much prefer tubeless now I’ve gone that route) what to replace it with? This’ll be the second Minion that’s died this way – the first one took a sharp rock to it midway up the sidewall – I’ve patched it inside and out but never tried to ride on it, and just bought a new one – reckon it’s worth trying?

These Maxxis tyres seem awfully fragile. It’s the 3C EXO version. I thought that was meant to be a bit more robust? Maybe not.

What’s a good alternative?
    I’ll be paired with a DHF up front.

legend
    Free Member

From what you describe a standard tubeless repair string will sort that no problem

wilko1999
    Free Member

Had a similar thing happen on my DHR2 EXO. A slight tear at the base of a side knob. It happened landing a moderate jump, onto some loose rocks. I put it down to bad luck and ordered another to replace it. I’ve never had a problem with the EXO carcass on any other Maxxis I’ve used ie HR, HR2 and DHF

Northwind

Don’t know what size you are, but the exo 29er is lighter than some other maxxis exos, I did wonder about that.

Butcher Grid might do you? Pretty similiar performance and good cut resistance

funkweasel
    Free Member

27.5. I thought butchers were for front, and mostly paired with a purgatory, but I’m probably wrong.

funkweasel
    Free Member

Not the best pic but hopefully you can see it. Just above the rim.

Northwind

It’s like a minion dhf basically so works on both ends. I never really liked it as a front tbh!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Minion DHR2 replacement?’ is closed to new replies.