Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Minion DHR II vs Beaver
  • blitz

The local trails have turned to their usual clay/mud soup and was looking at new tyres to see if I can find something that copes better with the conditions. Currently running Bonty XR4 team issue 26 X 2.35 which I like in general but hoping I can find something better. Like the look of the Shorty for the front but not sure about the rear. Any thoughts on DHR II 2.3 vs Beaver 2.25? Pro’s / Con’s / Better alternatives?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Shorty front and rear for me, been using one on the front for ages, dunno why I took so long to get one for the rear.

spicer
    Free Member

I had a beaver, which I was using last winter. It was sh!t. Span out up any incline, the nobbly bits arent nobbly enough. Replaced it with an ardent which was better, but drifted out a lot. Replaced that with a high roller 2, which has made cornering a lot quicker! (with minion on the front). Depends what your riding is- this works for trail centres, but I’d want something skinnier and knobblier for the local muddy xc

blitz

Thanks. I’m in Kent and my riding is generally trails in the local woods which are clay based and so get pretty boggy and it’s pretty rooty too. I do also ride a fair bit at Bedgebury but that’s much the same in terms of mud at this time of year.

markshires
    Free Member

I’m using both at the minute(different bikes). I only have the 2.0 beaver though. personally I don’t think there is much in it between them in the mud, however the minion is a lot better on the firmer ground qnd hard pack. The minion also seems to be a lot tougher, although haven’t had problems with the beaver but it seems a lot more flimsy.Last time I looked the beaver was about half the price though.

jam-bo

Hope the Beavers are good. Just ordered a set of 2.25 exo’s. £55 posted from bike24

Mole
    Free Member

I think for the type of riding the op is doing the beavers will be fine. I did a ridiculously muddy xc race at the beginning of the year with the 2.0 version on and frankly they are the best mud tyres I’ve ever tried. Also got the 2.25 exo version after being so impressed..didn’t really like it on the rear for all round use but have kept the front on all year which has been ok,but its now when the trails are wet they come into their own.

sideshow
    Free Member

I think the OP should only take advice from people who ride on the same kind of clay as he does. Which I don’t. I have never used DHR2 but in my south wales slop my beaver 2.25 exo does far better than my minion DHF1 ever did, the latter just clogs up. But a different flavour of mud could conceivably reverse that.

Alex

I’ll come back to this thread.. my HT has a 2.25 29er Beaver on the rear. Ran one last year on the 29 FS as well. This year I’ve gone with a DHR II on the FS but only fitted today. Had a good wander round the tyre warehouse (nextdaytyres is 10 mins from me) sniffing rubber this morning 😉 Shorty does look good, but did like the chunkiness of the DHRII – made me think it’d be a better all rounder and I wouldn’t have to swap it out come drier conditions.

I like the Beaver at a 2.25 width. We ride quite a lot on the road to get to the trails – esp in winter – and the beaver seemed to wear very quickly.

blitz

Cheers for the input. No real consensus then but some useful comments. Might just see what deals are about and give one a go.

jam-bo

First ride on the Beavers (26×2.25 exo) .

One KoM downhill later and I think I’m going to get one with these tyres…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Minion DHR II vs Beaver’ is closed to new replies.