Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Minion dhf or Shorty ?
  • sheepshifter
    Free Member

Which one up front ? Got high roller back , needs to be good at trail centres and off piste in loamy/muddy singletrack.

chiefgrooveguru

needs to be good at trail centres

DHF.

and off piste in loamy/muddy singletrack.

Shorty.

High Roller 2 2.4 for both? Maybe DHR2 2.4 or DHF 2.5 if the mud isn’t too cloggy? Actually maybe Shorty 2.5 for both – definitely not Shorty 2.3 though

tor5
    Free Member

Or Mary

gwurk
    Free Member

DHR2 is a better all rounder up front than a DHF as the braking is hugely superior but still remains one of the most consistent, predictable cornering tyres out there.
    HR2 is a vast improvement over the original Highroller as well.

Not sure which trail centres you ride that a shorty would ever be the best choice.

jpacey
    Free Member

Is the issue with a shorty for trail centre riding that it is too slow rolling or that it grips poorly on rock/armoured surfaces?

Mugboo

Following with interest as I’m heading up to Scotland to ride Glentress and hopefully the Golfie stuff in Oct

gwurk
    Free Member

Both of those things jpacey

sambob
    Free Member

Reckon a Magic Mary fits well between those too, not quite as good in slop as a Shorty but a fair bit better than a DHF

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Just put on a Continental Der Baron projekt which is similar to Shorty in aim I think. Was pretty good on all surfaces this morning.

if it were Maxxis I’d probably look at the DHR11 on the from as a compromise.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Wot Sambob says.

hainman
    Free Member

Mugboo you might be lucky when you come up here,I was down Golfie last week and was running a Vigilante and DHR2 on the rear, unless its proper chucking it down, the ground holds grip really well,

poah
    Free Member

Following with interest as I’m heading up to Scotland to ride Glentress and hopefully the Golfie stuff in Oct

Conti baron projekt

chiefgrooveguru

I’d be interested to try the Magic Mary in the new compounds. However I have a DHF 2.5, High Roller 2 2.4 and Shorty 2.5 to wear out first!

sillyoldman

Baron Project is more versatile than the Shorty – faster and better on rocks and roots. Wears better too, but not as good in all out slop as the Shorty.

simon80
    Free Member

Just to hijack the thread – what are people pairing the baron Projekt with?

howdoo
    Free Member

Regarding Der baron vs. shorty I agree with sillyoldman based on my experience.

gwurk
    Free Member

what are people pairing the baron Projekt with?

same with all Conti tyres

Northwind

What sort/where is your offpiste? For stuff like winter golfy, a modern mud tyre like the shorty is almost like cheating compared to a minion. But it’s no allrounder. I think the answer is most likely 2 tyres

sillyoldman

What didn’t you like about it Gwurk? Latest Black Chili Protection Apex Contis are a different league from Contis of yesteryear.

mactheknife

I like the Der Baron up front for mixed conditions and a shorty for full on muck.

Never had a Conti on on the rear that didn’t commit Hara-kiri. Seriously. Not one.

cabbage84
    Free Member

Baron projekt is brilliant in most conditions. Only time I’ve ever had it feel sketchy is riding in dust but thankfully dusty conditions in the uk are rare. High roller 2 or Hans dampf rear to go with it.

poah
    Free Member

simon80 – Member

Just to hijack the thread – what are people pairing the baron Projekt with

same on rear, DHR2 or a spesh slaughter – I pretty much use it on the front most of the year and only swap to a DHF 2.5 when its really dry.

The only thing I don’t like it on is dusty as it tends to slide.

moonsaballoon

I’m pretty impressed with my baron projekt , my magic Mary trail star was brilliant but I found it to be a bit fragile and got frustrated with it to the point that I didn’t want to have another Schawlbe .
    Currently got a purgatory grid on the back as they were going cheap after the baron ate up most of my budget .
    Conti showed off a 2.6 baron at eurobike which if it’s reasonable price I would love to stick on the front and move the other one on the back . Tredz have a 2.6 butcher on their site for £50
    I get the impression the shorty is brilliant if you only ride natural off piste golfy sort of stuff but not great all round which is where I think the conti shines

eastdll
    Free Member

I just rode a Minion DHF 3C at Laggan at the weekend’s Scottish Enduro race – cut trails and trail centre. It didn’t disappoint at all on loam and mud, but its excellent on the hardpack and rock.
    Shorty not so good on the hard stuff, bit squirmy.
    DHR2 and HR2 centre knobs are angled for drive and braking, DHF has better knob direction for a front tyre doing the steering.
    Minon DHF 3C is closest to a “do-it-all” Maxxis front tyre I’ve ever used.

gavstorie
    Free Member

The you cant decide between a DHF and a Shorty…. A Magic Mary is the tyre to go for.. Almost as good in the slop as a Shorty but more stable than a shorty on trail centre stuff. On par with the DHF on trail centre stuff but miles better than a DHF in the natural stuff.

My dry/wet setup is MM Supergravity Verstar / Minion DHR2 3c
    My mud setup is Michelin Wild Mud / Minion DHR 2 3c..

This covers me for all year round riding in the tweed valley.

lagerblad
    Free Member

I stopped using Shorty. The roling resistance together with it’s regular behavior to slip on rots and other stuff off camber.

funkrodent

My two penn’orth for what it’s worth. Mate of mine who is a far, far better rider than I’ll ever be swears by the Magic Mary’s upfront. He loved the first iteration, despite the tendency for bits to fall off, but says that the new ones have all the grip and low rolling resistance but are also far more sturdy. They’ll be my next purchase

chakaping
    Free Member

Both, or the magic Mary if you can only have one tyre.

Just put my mary back on and it’s such a relief to be able to go round corners again.

Kamakazie

Is the Shorty 2.5 any better on roots etc?

Don’t fancy paying MM prices baring in mind how long they seem to last.
    Shame the Hillbilly still doesn’t come in a lighter 27.5 carcass.

Northwind

Kamakazie – Member

Is the Shorty 2.5 any better on roots etc?

Yep- the footprint helps (since at any time it’s more likely to have a bit not on a root) and the volume means I’m running it softer so it gloms onto things better. I was always pretty happy with the 2.3 tbh but the 2.5 is a beast.

It rolls like it’s square, though.

Kamakazie

Cheers Northwind. Might give it a go for winter then change to something a bit more all-round in spring.

nickc

Apologies for bit a bit “pro” has anyone ever cut down a shorty?

I don’t get on with Mary’s at all, but I reckon for where I am, a cut shorty could be “the one”

chiefgrooveguru

Apologies for bit a bit “pro” has anyone ever cut down a shorty?

Have you tried the 2.5 Shorty? The blocks are much thicker than on the 2.3 so it doesn’t squirm as much on hard stuff.

lagerblad
    Free Member

Shorty is a nightmare on roots. They glide between the knobs.

sillyoldman

Baron is worth a shot unless you can’t see past anecdotal chat from some. Great tyre.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Shorty a poor on roots, Baron great on roots, MM OK on roots:
    Shorty great in Mud, Baron Good in Mud, MM OK in Mud:
    Shorty poor on hardback/trail centre, Baron OK, MM good:
    seems to be the consensus?

Northwind

I really don’t know where “shorty poor on roots” comes from tbh, other than an old slow reazy cutdown wetscream I had (for about 3 rides til the rubber evaporated) I’ve never used anything that’s better on roots. Well, 4.8 minions at 4psi aside. Comparing like with like (ie 3C shorty with trailstar Mary) the shorty is ime a lot better

chiefgrooveguru

Shorty 2.5 pretty good on wet roots. Possibly as good as the old Baron 2.3 (but better at everything else).

hainman
    Free Member

I’ve rode a shorty in a lot a trails that are Rooty and hated it,No confidence at all,Much preferred the Magic Mary

Starting to like the Vigilante which seems pretty close to the Shorty ,Mibbe just not as tall nobs but I like it far better

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve rode a shorty in a lot a trails that are Rooty and hated it,No confidence at all,

2.3 or 2.5?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Minion dhf or Shorty ?’ is closed to new replies.