Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Minion 29er DHF 2.5 – how wide is it actually?
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any ‘real world’ experience of the Minion DHF 29er tyre in 2.5 width? I am looking at it as a possible rear tyre for my Smuggler which is quite tight in terms of clearance. I am currently running the 2.3 Minion DHR11 which is grand for clearance but wondered if the 2.5 is significantly bigger and might cause an issue?

I am primarily looking for a really tough rear tyre do it would be the DH Casing version I’d be going for unless anyone has another recommendation?

ehrob

They’re a good chunk bigger than 2.3’s – used to run them on my old Banshee. Wider and a bit more volume.

My Scout would struggle to fit one in the back I reckon – 2.3 minion DHR2 (non WT) is ok, though it’ll buzz the frame occasionally when cornering hard. Sorry I can’t be more certain.

Consider the Maxxis Double Down carcass rather than full dual ply. Plenty tough for most people (me included), and not as heavy. I run DD for alpine riding, normal Exo in UK.

sideshow
    Free Member

I have used them, not currently mounted so I can’t measure them for you sorry. In contrast to ehrob I don’t remember them looking much bigger than the 2.3s (30mm rim on an Enduro). Possibly that’s because I was taking advantage of the tough casing and stiffer sidewalls to run lower pressures, which really does seem to make a difference to how big the tyre comes up.

That was then, when I was running about 12psi. I’ve recently realised I like my tyres firmer, as 12 is great for grip on steep stuff but doesn’t corner very well at high speed! Now running around 20-25 and I second rob’s sentiment that they’re probably overkill in that range – I hardly ever pinch flat the 2.3 Exos as it is, and have found I appreciate the 2.5s more for the sticker compound than added durability. Will keep for multi day uplift adventures but once they’re worn out probably replace with something in between and sticky like a Butcher Grid.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Thanks for taking the time to give your feedback ehrob and sideshow despite the differences!

The EXO versions just do not hold up for me. I have also been thinking about the double down but I’m finding it difficult to find them for sale in 29er in the minion patterns? Might just be that there are so many Maxxis codes and abbreviations that the search engines are struggling…..

Have also seen that Hutchinson do a ‘Hardskin’ tyre that’s supposed to be similar to double down from Maxxis but not really sure what their go to rear tyre is!

chiefgrooveguru

That’s a LOT of tyre for the back! I have one on the front in 27.5 and the same rear tyre as you, both Exo. I’ve heard good things about WTB if you need something tougher than Maxxis Exo on the back.

neiladams
    Free Member

I got the Minion 29 2.3 DHR2 Double Down from Acycles for £55. Only downside is it is the 3C version so side knobs wear fast on the rear. Great tyre though!

Northwind

Give me 10 minutes and I’ll find out

chiefgrooveguru

Only downside is it is the 3C version so side knobs wear fast on the rear. Great tyre though!

I’ve had the 3C and Dual DHR2 Exo on the back and I think the Dual is a much better rear tyre. The extra bit of skittering on wet rock and roots doesn’t seem to matter on the back but the firmer edge when railing a turn is really positive (the side knobs flex less), the grip in dirt stays good for far longer (as it keeps the sharp edges) and it rolls much quicker.

There are so many different Maxxis tyres though that you can’t always get the size, casing and compound you want!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Give me 10 minutes and I’ll find out

Good man northwind!

chiefgrooveguru – Member
    That’s a LOT of tyre for the back!

yeah it is a lot of meat but there’s also a lot of me and a lot of rocks and waterbars and if there’s another hard obstacle on the trail I’ll usually ride into it rather than around or over……

neiladams – Member
    I got the Minion 29 2.3 DHR2 Double Down from Acycles for £55.

They seem like the best bet at the minute thanks!

honourablegeorge

DOubel Down Aggressor a decent rar tyre

I haven’t managed to find a DHR2 double down – I didnt think they made them

(off to Acycles)

neiladams
    Free Member

I wish they made the DD casing with dual compound.

chiefgrooveguru

yeah it is a lot of meat but there’s also a lot of me and a lot of rocks and waterbars and if there’s another hard obstacle on the trail I’ll usually ride into it rather than around or over……

I’d also think about adding one of the anti-pinch things like Pro-Core or Flat Tire Defender etc then!

Does anyone else notice that a bigger rear tyre can be a bit harder to get turning?

sideshow
    Free Member

Does anyone else notice that a bigger rear tyre can be a bit harder to get turning?

Absolutely. That’s why I swap back to 2.3 exo for pretty much any occasion where riding uphill is involved…

chiefgrooveguru

Absolutely. That’s why I swap back to 2.3 exo for pretty much any occasion where riding uphill is involved…

Sorry, I meant as in turning corners rather than rotating!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Butcher Grid? It’s substantially more meaty than a EXO, it’s pretty much the same weight as a Schwalbe Super Gravity, comparable to a DD I think.

Although a 2.3 still it’s bigger than a 2.3 Maxxis, not quite as big as a 2.3 Magic Mary (which is so big, it’s comical).

That said, i’m running a Slaughter grid on the back & that’s a similar weight – I can get away with running mid 20’s PSI without it feeling like a squirmy mess. I raced in disgusting mud at the weekend on it & it was surprisingly good…

sideshow
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant as in turning corners rather than rotating!

Haven’t noticed that no, but I’m not exactly mr subtlety when it comes to bike setup.

Butcher grid – yeah I like the idea too, it weighs in about 1kg which is 100g more than the exo and comes in a stickier dual compound rubber. Not tried it in grid casing yet (the butcher control they used to ship on bouncy bikes was too flimsy for the task) but if it’s anything like the sx casing it has replaced it’ll be excellent.

Northwind

groundskeeperwilly – Member

Good man northwind!

Fail! But I’ll get to it soon!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Thanks HobNob, I had a wee look at the Slaughter and Purgatory but not the Butcher…. TBH one of my considerations is the extremely tight clearance at the back of the Smuggler so if the Spesh Tyres come up bigger than Maxxis they might be a no go – they do look like decent value though!!

Northwind

I’m kind of amazed to be saying this but both of mine (dh carcass 2.5s, a maxxterra and a maxxgrip) are bang on 2.5 inches. That’s on WTB i19s

chakaping
    Free Member

I am primarily looking for a really tough rear tyre

Have you considered the WTB Trail Boss tough/fast?

It’s the only non-DH tyre I’ve not managed to put a hole in on the rear, and is a popular choice among friends who ride 29ers in the Lakes.

2.25in so not the cushiest, but fits in a Smuggler fine and the thick sidewalls give a lot of support. Reasonably priced too. Main downside is it can be a pig to get on the rim.

VanHalen

i like a grid casing. I did manage to puncture it twice on a recent wales trip though. i was riding like a wimp and braking alot through rocks though. ended up buying some minion DH`s

the minion DH tyres are significantly stiffer than the 2.35 butcher grid (and about twice the weight) but virtually the same size diameter.

Northwind

Van Halen – Member

the minion DH tyres are significantly stiffer than the 2.35 butcher grid (and about twice the weight)

No they aren’t- a 29er DH is just shy of 1300g, a Grid is about a kilo

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I’m prepared to accept a heavy weight in return for the extra protection these more beefy tyre offer so whether a tyre is 900g or 1300g doesn’t really matter.

The more I look at the Hutcison Toro ‘Enduro’ 2.35 looks like it could be good for 90% of the time: https://dirtmountainbike.com/bike-reviews/wheels-and-tyres/hutchinson-toro-best-year-round-uk-tyre.html

gibbonarms
    Free Member

64mm to the shoulder knobs on a 35mm carbon rim.

I run one as a rear through winter.

ehrob

Will keep my eyes peeled.

Am a bit confused though, just read a thread that said you can only ride 29ers on specific tracks for 29ers, I don’t know any round here so dunno what they’re planning on doing with your stuff.

ehrob

no idea how my post above ended up here. I give up.

bigjim

WTB Breakout fits the smuggler better than a vigilante and is a fantastic tyre

You can ride it on 26er tracks too

Gotama
    Free Member

As Chiefgrooveguru suggested maybe your normal tyre and a Cushcore insert would be a better way to go. They seem to be pretty popular among the EWS lot.

Home Page 3.0

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Minion 29er DHF 2.5 – how wide is it actually?’ is closed to new replies.