Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Minimum width tyre on typical mountain bike rim?
  • keppoch

A friend is doing a cycle tour soon. She is taking two sets of tyres, one off road, one on road.

Not too sure exactly what the wheels are but suspect a fairly typical Shimano wheelset mountain bike offering.

For the on road sections she is going to get a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. Will the 1.35″ be OK on MTB rims or should she go for the 1.5″?

Also is £26 each (wire bead) from next day tyres the going rate or is there a good cheaper source?

davewalsh
    Free Member

1.35″ will be fine but if I was touring I’d be going for the 1.5″ for a bit more comfort.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

If she’s going to be carrying both sets of tyres during the tour, they should be folding, and not wire bead.

Personally, I’d just go with one pair of tyres for the whole thing – semi slicks.

scotroutes

As above. And a better option might be a set of Marathon Mondials. They would handle light off road without being too draggy on the road.

keppoch

Sorry should have been a bit clearer, the tour is supported so carriage of the tyres is not an issue. Think I agree on the comfort point though. Will recommend 1.5″

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Minimum width tyre on typical mountain bike rim?’ is closed to new replies.