Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)
  • Minimum wage could be frozen
  • binners

We can’t expect companies to pay a wage that its actually possible to live on now, can we? That would adversely effect profit margins.

Just keep the minimum wage at subsistence level. The taxpayer can make up the shortfall, so whats the problem!

Klunk
    Free Member

we’re all in it together.

mudshark
    Free Member

Well some might prefer to forgo a payrise if it meant keeping their job.

convert

Minimum wage rises has given my wife’s place a bit of a headache over the last couple of years. They have had a pay freeze for 3 years now but there are a few people on the minimum wage that went up, which meant they would now be paid the same as folks who were on a bit more but who had had their pay frozen. Those people then kicked off because their jobs had previously been graded as better paid (or they had been given an annual experience increment that was effectively being wiped out) demanding the gap be maintained which then effected the next best paid etc etc.

ot – the stupidest bit was last year the directors said they could either afford to give a tiny pay rise or a tiny one off bonus and the idiot workers voted for the bonus. That meant they were on average £100 better off that financial year but as it was a one off, £250 worse off this year and every year after that. tools!

grum
    Free Member

Are they being asked to factor in the cost of subsidising people’s wages through benefits because they don’t get paid enough?

Minimum wage rises has given my wife’s place a bit of a headache over the last couple of years.

It’s not really the minimum wage causing the problem there though is it.

Lifer
    Free Member

convert – Member
    Minimum wage rises has given my wife’s place a bit of a headache over the last couple of years. They have had a pay freeze for 3 years now but there are a few people on the minimum wage that went up, which meant they would now be paid the same as folks who were on a bit more but who had had they pay frozen. Those people then kicked off because their jobs had previously been graded as better paid (or they had been given an annual experience increment that was effectively being wiped out) demanding the gap be maintained which then effected the next best paid etc etc.

It’s gone up by 46p since 2008…

convert

It’s not really the minimum wage causing the problem there though is it.

Well no but, but yes! It’s a charity dealing with adults with learning difficulties who get most of their income from local authorities. Local government cuts and reductions in charitable giving means times are tight. The coffers are pretty empty for that sector right now. Pay freezes are inevitable.

convert

Not a lot I know, but for a charity that the sort of margins they are working on. Totally agree people at the bottom should be paid more (especially when you see what they do) – anyone fancy donating a bit from their more impressive incomes?

piemonster

Glad I don’t work for Convert

CaptJon
    Free Member

Profits are king!

convert

Glad I don’t work for Convert

– you might like to re read properly.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

The introduction of the minimum wage has led to British people being forced out of the job market for immigrant workers who will work for less than minimum wage off the books

piemonster

– you might like to re read properly

So might you. It was referring to a hypothetical situation.

robbespierre
    Free Member

46p per hour, which is almost exactly 8% over 5 years.
    ~1.5% per year, which is about the typical pay rise over that period.

mudshark
    Free Member

Glad I don’t work for piemonster…. 😉

midlifecrashes

When a charity pitches for a contract from LA or other government funding, it should be looking to have better working conditions than the minimum, or stay well out of it since either the service or the worker’s experience will be crap. Charities should be looking to improve things, not undercut private and public sector providers.

piemonster

Glad I don’t work for piemonster….

Damn right you are. I’m a nice enough person most of the time.

But by eck am I an incompetent arse

convert

When a charity pitches for a contract from LA or other government funding, it should be looking to have better working conditions than the minimum, or stay well out of it since either the service or the worker’s experience will be crap. Charities should be looking to improve things, not undercut private and public sector providers.

Totally agree. And that’s why this was a difficulty for them. 800 employees with I think it was 10 on minimum wage but then an exponential amount of employees on income levels above that. To maintain the gaps between pay levels about 250 employees had to have their pay increased in what was meant to be a pay freeze year. Not by a lot granted but enough to leave a hole in the finances. Pay rises is a good thing provided they could afford to do so without reducing the quality of care the service users get.

The disability care sector is appallingly paid and I guess it will remain the case until we as a population stop voting in governments that promote “efficiency initiatives” and give a little more generously to unfashionable charities and stop leaving it to donkey sanctuaries!

ac282

The introduction of the minimum wage has led to British people being forced out of the job market for immigrant workers who will work for less than minimum wage off the books

I don’t see why british workers are any less able to work off the books than foreign ones.

footflaps

Someone has to pay for tax cuts for millionaires!

Junkyard
    Free Member

i now want to work for you

do you have broadband and poor monitoring of the abuse of IT systems during working hours?

It is a strange one
    on the one hand you can see how small companies may struggle to make ends meet and charities may be hit
    on the othe rhand you have Mc Donalds paying minimum wage whilst making billions of rofit per year
    we probabbly all have some sympathy for the former but realise the latter are a bunch of money grabbing etc

Funny how you only ever hear of folk who dont earnt the minimum wage [ and never had I assume] suggesting it is too high…like they would work for that rate.

one of the few thing labour did that was good and yet mor eproof what the Tories are all about , beneift cuts mixed with tax cuts for the rich and driving down of wages for those in work.

the rich get richer and the poor pay the piper – same old Tories

khani
    Free Member

While company’s like Tesco make huge profits while paying staff minimum wage that’s topped up by government tax credits we’re all in it together indeed..
    Why pay more when the rest of the tax paying population subsidises them to make a profit,

rebel12
    Free Member

Maybe we should just be grateful that we have a minimum wage in the UK, however low it may be. 90% of the world’s population does not have this luxury.

Funny how you only ever hear of folk who dont earnt the minimum wage [ and never had I assume] suggesting it is too high…like they would work for that rate.

I used to work for that – and a lot, lot less before the minimum wage was even introduced. Cr*p jobs yes but they provided good experience and experience to go on and do other things.

the rich get richer and the poor pay the piper – same old Tories

Well if you can’t beat them join them – start a business, take some more training, start to earn more rather than just whinging at he status quo. Tories may not be doing a great job at the moment but Labour or the other shower don’t really offer a credible alternative do they?

Lifer
    Free Member

rebel12 – Member
    start to earn more

BANG – DONE! Awesome don’t know why I hadn’t thought of that before.

binners

You idiot Lifer! Have you not being taking advantage of the multitude of well-paid chances for personal advancement our utopian meritocracy is presently awash with?

bails

BANG – DONE! Awesome don’t know why I hadn’t thought of that before.

And while you’re at it get more confident, stupid!

And stop wasting money on losing lottery tickets, just buy a few winning ones like the clever people do.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

90% of the world’s population does not have this luxury.

I like to remember how bad things were about the time of the Black Death, just to remind myself how lucky we all are.

I can’t understand why people complain so much.

mudshark
    Free Member

What’s the answer? Force companies to spend a min portion of profit on salaries?

rebel12
    Free Member

What’s the answer? Force companies to spend a min portion of profit on salaries?

. . . no just plain old Communism, or so it would seem for some on here 🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What’s the answer?

Well unless I have seriously misunderstood the gist of this thread, I believe that the suggestion is an increase in the minimum wage.

binners

Ah yes… anyone who regards the present distribution of wealth in society as less than fair is a communist.

Do you find yourself referring to ‘The Politics of Envy’ quite often too?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

no just plain old Communism, or so it would seem for some on here

You are a patriotic god-fearing American conservative and I claim my £5

Solo
    Free Member

The disability care sector is appallingly paid and I guess it will remain the case until we as a population stop voting in governments that promote “efficiency initiatives” and give a little more generously to unfashionable charities and stop leaving it to donkey sanctuaries!

I don’t believe that’s the fault of any government, but rather a short fall of the Human condition.

the rich get richer and the poor pay the piper – same old Tories Greed of people.
    Again, I’d say its more a failing of people. Sure, the rich love it at the top and whizz on the poor while telling them its raining. Push the rich on the subject and they will reply with the old line that’s its all there for the taking, just got to work for it.
    Its all bent out of shape, imo, just to suit the ones at the top.

Imo, minimum wage was a poor idea as it actually became the maximum wage.

footflaps

Surely the disability care sector should be properly funded by the state, like the NHS, rather than relying on charitable donations.

rebel12
    Free Member

Push the rich on the subject and they will reply with the old line that’s its all there for the taking, just got to work for it.

But it is though isn’t it? Okay might be a lot more difficult if you’re from a poorer background but still more than possible.

A Famous Example

Think you will find that most successful business people are successful not because of luck but because they have the desire to work hard, work smart, well past the 9-5 and because they don’t expect to be spoon fed stuff on a plate.

grum
    Free Member

So should everybody in the country become a successful businessman? Or are there some jobs that require relatively little training/skills/qualifications but are still socially important, for which people shouldn’t be paid a pittance they can’t live on? Hmmm….

sbob
    Free Member

Solo – Member

Imo, minimum wage was a poor idea as it actually became the maximum wage.

A company I used to work for ~15yrs ago pays its workers less now than it did then. 💡

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

But it is though isn’t it?

Everyone in Britain could be rich without anyone being poor ? What marvelous news ! When did this happen ?

Btw, if everyone is rich, ie, everyone has the same amount of money, isn’t that communism ?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The economic problems won’t be solved by making the poor poorer.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Minimum wage could be frozen’ is closed to new replies.