Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Minimum seatpost insertion: requirement for FRAME…?
  • poppa
    Free Member

Just wondering, I have a 456 I am building up and it looks like the seatpost is going to be nearly at the minimum insertion point.

My question is this: does the seatpost need to be a minimum length in the frame in order for the frame not to fail? If so, how far in?

Thanks people. I would have thought 350mm would be long enough (5'10", 33" inside leg, on an 18" frame)

wwaswas

at least an inch or two below the top tube/seat tube join would be my view.

clubber
    Free Member

Brant's (and the general view) is 1cm below the bottom of the seat tube/top tube weld.

Anthony
    Free Member

The ally insert factory-fitted into my Lynskey would mirror that, it's about 60mm long and about 10mm past the top-tube weld.

poppa
    Free Member

Ok… I will go home and check tonight. I have a feeling my next question will be about 400mm seatposts… Never thought of myself as long-legged before.

grumm
    Free Member

Huh isn't this why seatposts have a minimum insertion mark? Or am I missing something?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The minimum insertion mark on the seatpost is for the seatpost – the frame may require more insertion depending on design

james-o
    Free Member

you miss the point that frames vary in the amount of seat tube extension above the top tube, seat post markers are about seat post strength only. an inch or two below the top tube / seat stay lower weld is a good guide to avoid frame damage, perhaps a bit less if the fit is really snug, but always below the lower welds.

clubber
    Free Member

Ditto TJ (ugh!)

br
    Free Member

Just buy a 400mm post, end of discussion.

steve_b77
    Free Member

5'10" and a 33" inside leg – don't tell me you've never noticed you buy trousers in LONG, or are they always at half-mast round your ankles?

poppa
    Free Member

Well, I wear 32" trousers normally. I only measured my 'real' inside leg when fitting for a road bike – the shoving a ruler up against your inner thigh method. I was quite surprised to find I am actually 33". Maybe I just wear my jeans too low.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Minimum seatpost insertion: requirement for FRAME…?’ is closed to new replies.