Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Minimum price for alcohol
  • rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Surprised there isn’t a thread for this yet (or is there?)

Anyway, I think it’s a great idea. We’ve got loads of yobby kids round about on a Friday night, getting pissed and acting extremely anti-socially and it might curb that.

Also, it would be good news for pubs, which could do with some support in these straightened times.

If the price of that is that “hard working families” will have to do with fewer slabs of Stella then I think a price worth paying.

Can’t believe the Govt are rowing back on the idea.

Stoner
    Free Member
    Stoner
    Free Member

because they need all the friends they can get. Cheap stella drinkers and £3.50 bottles of Bulgarian Red alike.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

rightplacerighttime – Member

My government isn’t 😉 Mind you, they’re suggesting a slightly lower tariff or around 40p.

aracer
    Free Member

I can only assume they’ve considered the pros and cons of the issues very carefully and decided it’s likely to lose them votes in key marginals.

Drac

Also, it would be good news for pubs, which could do with some support in these straightened times.

Yes and putting up the prices will really increase their sales. 😕

donald
    Free Member

My government isn’t. Mind you, they’re suggesting a slightly lower tariff or around 40p.

Excellent – I’m going to open an offie in Gretna.

IHN

Yes and putting up the prices will really increase their sales.

Pub groups have longed complained that discounted/loss-leading booze sales in supermarkets hits them really hard. This at least levels the playing field.

jon1973
    Free Member

Yes and putting up the prices will really increase their sales.

You local pub will be affected by putting prices up to a minimum of 50p per unit? Is it 1985 where you are?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Isn’t this approach a bit @rse about face?

The main quibble seems to be under-aged drinkers buying alcohol. Shouldn’t the government really be cracking down of the age of the drinkers rather than the cost of the drink?

Also wouldn’t those who have an alcohol dependancy problem just seek funds to pay for their habit by other means, possibly illegal?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Isn’t someone saying that this may not be compatible with EC Law?

I can see the pros and cons, shame to lose cheap booze deals (which would hit may harder than me) but if there is a genuine benefit to society…

druidh
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

Strangely enough, this is the tack which the licensed trade is taking. However, it’s been comprehensively dismissed both in Scotland and by the UK Home Office.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I believe it has something to do with the EU regulations against individual countries fixing prices which could make it unprofitable for the importers of other EU to bring their products to market.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Putting the price of fags up hasn’t stopped people smoking has it? So why would putting booze up stop people drinking more?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Oh and ‘comprehensively dismissed’ doesn’t mean the Home Office is right, it just means that it would be prepared to spend public money mounting a legal challenge by importers that would end up in the EU courts.

miketually
    Free Member

The main quibble seems to be under-aged drinkers buying alcohol

I don’t think it is. It’s the health and ASB effects of cheap alcohol.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

It’s the health and ASB effects of cheap alcohol.

I have been known to purchase low priced alcohol.

I am in good health, some might say better than average.

I have no convictions relating to ASB and have never been arrested or thrown out of somewhere due to alcohol related problems.

Shock horror, perhaps people are the weak link, not the beverage they are choosing to imbibe.

GrahamS

How will adding a pound to the price of a bottle of wine have any effect on binge-drinking?

Is it common from “anti-social binge-drinkers” to neck a couple of bottles of Chilean Merlot before going out?

The only “problem” wines I am aware of are Buckfast and Blue Nun.

aracer
    Free Member

Putting the price of fags up hasn’t stopped people smoking has it? So why would putting booze up stop people drinking more?

It may not for alcoholics, who are the only group of drinkers directly comparable to smokers.

aracer
    Free Member

GrahamS – you appear to be completely missing the point. The reason Buckfast and Blue Nun are problem wines is precisely because they are cheap.

miketually
    Free Member

The only “problem” wines I am aware of are Buckfast and Blue Nun.

And this would make them more expensive I assume.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

The cost of alcohol is relatively cheaper in most of Yerp. Yet other countries don’t seem to have the scale of alcohol-related problems. They drink loads more in France and Germany, for example, I’m sure.

It’s attitudes to drink that need to change. Sometimes, this nation can be a bit too puritanical about stuff. Having a drink is seen as slightly sinful, an activity to be enjoyed behind closed doors, or in properly sanctioned places. And having a beer or a glass of wine with lunch is frowned upon, where as elsewhere, it’s considered perfectly normal.

I don’t think British Drinkers are treated like responsible adults, therefore they sometimes end up behaving like kids.

The commercial drinks industry has to take some of the blame. Ban alco-pops, would be a start. Sweet, sickly vile crap, with quite high alcohol content. Aimed deliberately at kids. So that’s ok, is it? Oh right, sorry; forgot that the sales of that sort of muck generate tax revenue…

But, as usual, I suspect it’s another smokescreen; blame Society’s ills on something tangible, rather than admitting there are deeper issues which might need a little bit more actual effort to fix…

druidh
    Free Member

miketually – Member

> The only “problem” wines I am aware of are Buckfast and Blue Nun.

And this would make them more expensive I assume.

Not according to Stoners graph on the other thread.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

We should have guessed this was going to happen though once the government had won the war on drugs.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

RB – Guns don’t kill people, rappers do.

Stoner
    Free Member

ahem, I think you’ll find ol’ buckie is quite the expensive tipple! 🙂

Drac

You local pub will be affected by putting prices up to a minimum of 50p per unit? Is it 1985 where you are?

Given that’s around what they have already gone up in recent months and pubs are complaining about the drop in trade then my guess would be yes. Just what it has to do with 1985 I’m not sure.

matt_outandabout

Stoner – did you research that properly? 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Drac – I reckon you need to re-read the thread – or maybe just the precise wording of the quote you’re replying to.

GrahamS

GrahamS – you appear to be completely missing the point. The reason Buckfast and Blue Nun are problem wines is precisely because they are cheap.

Yep, as others said, Buckfast is already comparatively expensive.

And what about all the other wines that are not “problem” drinks?
    Why should I pay an extra quid in tax to have a bottle of wine with my wife in an evening?

They are pushing this as “it only affects cheap, super-strength lagers” and will only cost moderate drinkers a pound a month.

Does this mean “moderate” means one bottle of wine a month?
    Maybe I’m a raving alcoholic?

Drac

Drac – I reckon you need to re-read the thread.

No need.

aracer
    Free Member

No need.

Do you retract your previous comments then?

jon1973
    Free Member

Given that’s around what they have already gone up in recent months and pubs are complaining about the drop in trade then my guess would be yes. Just what it has to do with 1985 I’m not sure.

The proposal was that drinks should be a minimum of 50p per unit, not go up by 50p per unit.

1985? flippant reference to what year you must be in if you pay less than 50p/unit in a pub.

Stoner
    Free Member

🙂

The 50p price proposal is going to have virtually NO impact on pub pricing IMO. Only the most agressive 2 for 1 spirit pricing is anywhere near the equivalent of £1 for a double. However “birds drink free” nights might be a goner.

The idea is to stop “pre loading” on supermarket booze before a night out and also winos drinking White Lightening. I think for the benefits that the proposal is suggested as bringing (10% fall in alcohol dependencey admission and 7% fall in alcohol related deaths – I would REALLY like to see the analysis behind that conjecture) the increased costs to the rest of the country will be dispproportionately high. In fact I think whenever someone comes up with a proposal like this they should be obliged to calculate the cost to the community as well as the perceived benefits.

Stoner
    Free Member

Drac – what he’s getting at is that the proposal would put a price floor of 50p per 10ml of alcohol – equivalent to a single of scotch. NOT increase the cost of a shot by 50p.

MoreCashThanDash

My ill-informed opinions are as follows:

It won’t affect “proper” pubs, where prices already exceed 50p per unit. It may affect the big drinking sheds which attract binge drinkers, which doesn’t bother me.

There seems to be a link between the rise is alcohol related problems and cheap prices, so I’d support it cos of that.

There have been laws designed to prevent alcohol fuelled disorder for decades – if someone seriously cracked down on serving drunks and minors in pubs and off licenses, took away a few licenses and/or closed some down, the sellers would suddenly take it seriously.

It does surprise me that the government is so keen to court the votes of binge drinkers! Talk about desperation. Have they not figured out that the next election is not the one to win?

aracer
    Free Member

Have they not figured out that the next election is not the one to win?

As far as GB’s concerned it is – I doubt he cares that much about what happens in the one after.

gusamc
    Free Member

mm

so you think that stuffing the majority to punish the minority is a great idea – democracy at it’s best.

It’s good to see imagination used well. I can’t remember the last time the Govmt used extra taxation as a solution.

Re the yob problem. I suggest a better solution, as the drink price increase might curb that why not back a 5pm curfew for everbdoy that would definitely solve it, and it’s easy to implement.

BoardinBob

Step 1 – Raise the drinking age to 21

Step 2 – You must have valid photographic ID to purchase alcohol. Even if you’ve got a grey hair and a walking stick. No ID, no sale.

Step 3 – Remove off licences from known problem areas/ estates. Takeaway alcohol licenses from corner shops.

jimster
    Free Member

Unless supermarkets buy into this idea you won’t stop the binge drinking culture. As they’ll carry on with the loss-leading exercise it’s a waste of time.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Minimum price for alcohol’ is closed to new replies.