Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Minimum insertion, ooo errr! will I die?
  • rs
    Free Member

was running a rockshox reverb with 80mm min, now on a ks lev integra with 100mm min, but I need to run it 10mm above min insertion, will I die or should I just get a 150mm dropper? Anyone had issues running it above minimum insertion?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but I need to run it 10mm above min insertion, will I die

No but your frame could and it will invalidate the warranty.
    Minimum insertion is there for a good reason, if you have less post in the frame the leverage that the post applies is in a much smaller area and risks damage to both.

rs
    Free Member

well thats what I always thought but I could run a reverb with even less insertion hence why I’m even debating it 😕

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rs
    Free Member

I might have to get my P back, two sets of ads below the thread and the reply box, looks more like blackpool illuminations on here everyday 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

well that’s what your not paying for…

Rule of thumb on posts is at least 4″ in the frame and below and join of the seat tube/top tube

twisty

The 20mm difference is largely down to semantics.

However, really not a good idea to run things so close to the limit anyway.

If you have the kind of frame where the seat-tube extends above the top tube as pictured above you really need to get a longer post as you should have at least 50mm extending below the level of the bottom of the top tube.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Anyone had issues running it above minimum insertion?

The people with snapped frames and bent seatposts?

You’ll probably find that the posts have different wall thicknesses, hence one having a larger insertion. Or it could just be their design rules/standards.

You’ve also got to keep an eye on the frames minimum insertion. Some manufacturers publish, others expect you to know.

nickjb
    Free Member

Below the minimum insertion for the frame would bother me as you risk breaking the frame as above. Below the minimum for the post I’d be less worried about, especially 10mm short of 100mm insertion. That said if you are running it high then that means you could fit a post with a bigger drop which would be better all round.

BillOddie

The minimum insertion mark is for the post nit the frame.

You can still bend/crack/otherwise ruin your frame with the minimum inserted.

Get a longer post.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Minimum insertion, ooo errr! will I die?’ is closed to new replies.