Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Minimum insertion (no ooh err missus content)
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Will I die horribly in a ball of fire if I go about 8mm over minimum insertion, seatposts we're talking about here.

Olly
    Free Member

are you a porker?

whats the frame like.

remember, its not JUST the length of the seatpost protruding that matters, but also the length of the seatpost remaining in the frame, too short and the leverage increases and bends the top of the seat tube.

if the frame is welded (top tube and stays) at the top of the seat tube, its less of a problem than if its one of those ones with a dropped top tube, like a dialled alpine.

oldgit
    Free Member

Carbon FSA SLK in a planet X Carbon SL. Currently have the min mark lined up with the top of the seat tube. Might have to put my Thomson back huh.

nickc

carbon FSA is the only carbon post I've seen broken…

cynic-al
    Free Member

too short and the leverage increases and bends the top of the seat tube.

Never seen that. I have seen seatposts bend though.

13thfloormonk

I'm still not sure i understand how the seatpost would bend… What difference does the amount of material left in the frame make to the post bending?

The length outside the frame would definitely make a difference, but that would suggest manufacturers change the wall thicknesses of their posts depending on the length of the seatpost, which i'm not sure they do (completely unfounded statement there!).

Bit of a sore point for me as I was denied a warranty on a bent Moots because i had apparently run it too high, despite running at their recommended max height…

GJP
    Free Member

I have a similar problem – so rather than posting a new thread can I tack mine on here.

Ally frame and Ally post Easton EA70. Min insert line is below top of seat tube (Tick) but not below or in line with the junction of the ST and TT (No Tick).

Will this be a problem Evans said not – but in the past I have always ensured min insertion line is at least as far in the frame as the TT and ST junction.

Not a porker but by no means a race whippet at the moment.

jond
    Free Member

>What difference does the amount of material left in the frame make to the post bending?

It's not so much the material left *in* the frame, more the additional length of material *outside* the frame – it's then a longer lever.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Minimum insertion (no ooh err missus content)’ is closed to new replies.