Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • "Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed" – what have I misunderstood?
  • neilthewheel

MGDS for TalkTalk’s “Faster Fibre” deal.: 9.5Mbps.
    Actual: 1.9Mbps.
    Talktalk then told me that was “within acceptable limits.”
    An engineer came today and said 2Mbps would be the most we could expect because of how far we were from the fibre cabinet.
    Thing is, we got over 4Mbps on ordinary broadband.
    We have cancelled our upgrade. 🙁

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

That Talktalk are, IME, lying shits that you shouldn’t touch with someone else’s bargepole?

scaredypants

is it like “all you can eat data”

(… as long as your appetite has a fixed and fairly small size)

wwaswas

all you can eat data

This is our most recently reported 3 months data usage. God knows what the kids are doing.

scaredypants

blimey WW – times have changed !
    I remember when it came out and some marketing guy came onto the radio to “sell” it as a clearer way of describing allowances. Got absolutely destroyed by the interviewer in a very funny way

(how much bandwidth is a Lol ?)

Cougar

This is our most recently reported 3 months data usage. God knows what the kids are doing.

Torrenting grumble films I’d guess.

matt_outandabout

That Talktalk are, IME, lying shits that you shouldn’t touch with someone else’s bargepole?

Not just your opinion. They are on *the* list of companies* to never, ever, ever deal with again, alongside nPower, BT and HMRC*

*I know.

whitestone
    Free Member

What have you misunderstood?

Marketing

convert

You should have asked them if you paying them a 5th of the monthly bill would also have been “within acceptable limits’ too.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Only that actually speeds are a bit of a dark art, or more accurately they use very incomplete data to estimate them. As OPs found out – they guarantee 9Mbps, which they haven’t been able to deliver, they only penalty for them is that you can leave without financial penalty.

Drac

That’s some elite downloading. 😀

perchypanther
    Free Member

Plugging in an xbox one for the first time and trying to install 3 games?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

pwning n00bs

matt_outandabout

This is our most recently reported 3 months data usage.

Your kids are running a server farm under the bunk bed…

slackalice
    Free Member

I’ve recently sent a complaint to BT Openreach about the unreliable and persistently slow connection that we’ve had since moving in. Plus Net are our ISP, who supposedly guarantee minimum of 1Mbps, however I don’t hold them responsible as it’s the Openreach infrastructure that is always at fault, with either the overhead cables or at the exchange.

I’ve asked Openreach why I should pay the £18.99 per month line rental, when it is so unreliable and fails to provide the basic minimum pledge/requirement. I’ve suggested that I stop paying line rental until the issues are resolved on a permanent basis.

I’m not expecting a personalised reply, despite me receiving an automated email with my complaint reference number.

A faceless unaccountable monopoly that exists to serve the shareholders first, which is a racing cert as they are a monopoly.

julians
    Free Member

Its terrible I know, I was promised 76mb/s download, but only get 65mb/s

Just joking – at least you can cancel your contract without issue (hopefully).

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

slackalice when you get a response you sadly won’t get the bloke I got at BT – it was his last day, he’d had enough so was v honest “you’re 2.9km from the exchange so your speeds will always be shit, fibre to the cabinet won’t help as the extra bandwidth is irrelevant as there aren’t enough houses on the exchange for that to matter, BT will never do fibre to your house as your location makes it expensive and they’ll just say you’re above acceptable cost”
    PS I live nr Stroud in Gloucestershire not the Shetland isles. Billions on a high speed rail link or billions centrally funding genuine high speed BB, which would help the whole country more?

plyphon
    Free Member

Unless I’m mistaken and unless I’ve misread your tone of voice –

I think that ‘statement’ is a marketing thing. In old-internet slang 1337 stands for ‘Leet’

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

It would be a massive coincidence if they had actually used 1337GB of data. And the statement arrived with ‘of LOLS’ written on it.

km79
    Free Member

I get 110.57 Mbps when I should only get 100 Mbps.

It would be a massive coincidence if they had actually used 1337GB of data. And the statement arrived with ‘of LOLS’ written on it.

I think it is just a coincidence as I get the exact same style of statement but my data use was ‘only’ 584GB.

flashpaul
    Free Member

1337GB over 3 months !

How are you using so much data?

A free WiFi installation at a bus station I installed uses less than that

Very impressive

thegreatape
    Free Member

Inviting Damien Green round after school?

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^ 🙂

OP our BT is 5-8 advertised but is generally running at 2.5-3, when I started complaoning it was pointed out that contract min was 1.5 My Three mobile is consistently faster …

Depressing vs France where we have fibre optic to the flat and speed choice is 200 or 300 and it costs less than BT rubbish above 😐 in fairness you then realise its often the website / download source that’s slow

bensales
    Free Member

flashpaul – Member
    1337GB over 3 months !

How are you using so much data?

14gb per day. Easily done with HD(1) Netflix, two small children, and adults with a movie habit. I hate to think what ours is, but I only buy houses that are on Virgin’s cable network.

(1) could just be 2 hours of 4K video https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

wwaswas

We’re getting 220MBit/s download (only about 20 up because we’re on an older Virgin exchange at the end of the road) so it rarely feels like the connections being throttled (which I think it used to be when we were ona slower package).

Both kids have Netflix on their devices plus the telly has it, Daughter watches YouTube vloggers *a lot*, son does gaming plus keep’s downloading Linux distro’s and other tech software. I work at home and have iPlayer radio on for 8 hours a day, plus various social media.

I guess it all adds up but 14Gb a day still feels like a lot! I assumed it might be an error in how they count (the old Superhubs used to be notorius for over reporting) but I did some checks and I think this is probably accurate.

convert

I get 110.57 Mbps when I should only get 100 Mbps.

We’re getting 220MBit/s

Meanwhile in the Highlands my mum is paying £36pm for 256kbs on a good day as the only option available to her. And this alongside things like the local bank closing so you are forced to do everything online. Have you tried loaded your average website homepage on 256kbs – it’s painful. Yes, it’s relatively rural, but surely it’s time to focus funding on minimising this inequity of service.

jerseychaz

Depressing vs France where we have fibre optic to the flat and speed choice is 200 or 300 and it costs less than BT rubbish above in fairness you then realise its often the website / download source that’s slow

Oh how I wish! Here in “rural” France – we are equidistant – 6kms from 3 towns and the speed is circa 0.75mb/s on a good day. We are at the end of a line shared with about 4 other houses….its also about as stable as a wobbly thing on jelly!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Same for lots of my friends convert. We are ok as we are in the village so close to the exchange. One friend runs a restaurant that’s five miles from the nearest ‘village’ in either direction. He can’t even download a movie to his iPad overnight. They’re right at the end of the phone line. I suspect whatever rules they bring in will include some sort of target (99% of premises or something) that man should thy can still ignore people like him and your mum.

wwaswas

I’d be looking at either 4G or satellite broadband if we were getting the sort of speeds some people seem to.

Given we pay about £70 for phone (My wife’s mum and mine are the only two people who ever call it), broadband and tv I’d happily switch the money to broadband if I had to.

convert

I’d be looking at either 4G or satellite broadband if we were getting the sort of speeds some people seem to.

That’s my plan this xmas. Until a couple of weeks ago the area was also on GPRS only on all networks. There is now 4G from one supplier so a 4G wifi router or using a phone as a hotspot when needed is in her future. I just have to get my head around ensuring she does not use all get data allowance on background updates etc.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘"Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed" – what have I misunderstood?’ is closed to new replies.