Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Minimalists – you're all b*st*rds
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

Right,

that faction of you on here giving it ‘ooooh, look at me I’m so great I don’t need to take anything on ride, cos I’m so bleedin marvellous that I piss rainbows and fart little fluffy clouds, all i need is a tube and a CO2 cartridge and my unsubstatiated sense of invulnerability, cos I’m the bestest that there ever was, why would you take patches on a ride unless your like dork of the year, dorkbrain?’. Yes that’s right, you. You are in a lot of trouble and will be recieving zero puddings for the foreseeable future.

See below.

https://www.strava.com/activities/322789256

https://www.strava.com/activities/322791681

It’s all your fault. Bastards.

sandwicheater

You don’t piss rainbows, pffft, how embarrassing.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

To be fair 6:30/km running with a bike off road is a fair lick, nice session!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Wearing spd shoes, don’t forget that. Main motivation was to outpace the midgies, they were on the bite. If i’d been wearing trainers I might have actually enjoyed it, a bit.

mrblobby
    Free Member

At least it was mostly downhill.

loddrik
    Free Member

Don’t sweat it. I don’t even ride that fast…

aracer
    Free Member

Tubeless

fasthaggis

Breathless

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Tiiiiiiiiimeleeeeeeeess

timmys

I guess that’s another use of the fly-by feature; identifying the heartless bastards that didn’t stop to help you as they passed.

Northwind

The more the minimalist thing catches on, the more I seem to be becoming basically a water bowser and tool rack for strangers. I feel like I should get sponsorship for the number of pro EWS racers I was resupplying the other week 😆

turboferret

I had a tubeless fail in an MTB race a while ago and then a CO2 fail, then another puncture, so ended up running the last 11km (of 59km) in 57 minutes (5:10/km), again in SPD shoes.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/314703489

What was amusing was a bunch of friends were running a 10k the same day and I was faster than all of them while pushing a bike off-road 😆

Cheers, Rich

aracer
    Free Member

You need to provide a riding schedule Northwind, so we know where we can go riding without bothering to carry anything.

Bedds
    Free Member

I may have choked on my coffee reading that.. 😆

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Just ride the ****, sometimes the tyres don’t even die.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Priceless

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I paid for the car parking many times over selling innertubes and CO2 to uplift’ers at Innerleithen. In retrospect they got a good deal, new tubes fitted quick enough that they made it down to catch the uplift bus back up rather than miss a run!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I don’t beliieeeeeve it!

https://www.strava.com/activities/332298380

Same shit AGAIN, had 2 cartridges with me this time and patches but flatted the spare after about 150 yds and the patches blew off the second puncture and not enough CO2 to refill the tube afterwards.

Yes I know tubeless, tubeless, tubeless. Also ditch the CO2 and carry a blinkin’ pump

Luckily I was rescued by a passing enduro-ista who lent me some air and a tube. Thank you that man. 🙂

oldnpastit

Have you thought about going tubeless?

jamesfts
    Free Member

Tubeless, better tyres, embrace minimalism.

miketually
    Free Member

A pump and a puncture repair kit weigh very little.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Yes, tubless, I know and mike the CO2 was an experiment to fit everything in a saddle bag, normally carry a pump. Will be carrying a pump in future.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Tubeless for me but I take a pump and a tube in my back pocket. No great hassle and in the unlikely event of a tubeless fail (had 1 in 5 years or so) I just put a tube in. It’s worth the small weight in your back pocket – nothing more frustrating than a ride ending early!

midlifecrashes

Eveny if you don’t want a rubber solution type repair kit, the pre glued patches work well, are easy to carry (tape to your pump?) and weigh nowt.

D0NK

A pump and a puncture repair kit weigh very little

I feel nervous nipping to the shops on my bike without them.
    Old school technology ftw.

Aslong as you remember to stock up on patches and glue you’ve got unlimited pumpage – have only had 1 pump completely fail on me since then I stick to a standard pump not fancy double barrel more to go wrong trickery.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I was carrying the following

spare tube, lezyne patches 2x CO2, (plus tools n schizzle) you’d think you’ve got it covered there. Oh no.

Back to Mr Pumpypumppump I go.

mudsoul
    Free Member

I am all for preparedness, and I’ve gone through a multitude of hydration packs to find one that’s both comfortable and I can carry everything I “need” in (found the Osprey Zealot 16 pretty close to perfect), but these days I am all about sensible minimalism. Bought a pair of Specialized SWAT and Race Face Stash bib shorts with the pockets that go over the baggies. Brilliant kit. The setup is as follows:

On the bike:
    1- One spare tube strapped to the top tube with a velcro compression strap used for camera tripods (£1 off eBay).
    2- Two 25g CO2 canisters strapped to the bottom of the seattube with a Zefal CO2 holder.
    3- One 610ml bottle in bottle cage

In bib shorts rear pockets (also works with roadie type jerseys with rear pockets. Must be fitted so that stuff doesn’t flop around):
    1- Left rear pocket: Topeak Ratchet Rocket (by far my favorite tool) + small snack or energy gel.
    2- Middle rear pocket: Another 610ml water bottle.
    3- Right rear pocket: Small zipped pouch with micro CO2 inflator, tyre boots/patch kit, spare powerlinks, and Presta to Schrader adapter + a second spare tube.

Baggy shorts pockets:
    1- Phone, £10 bill and cards inside a Timbuk2 Mission wallet.
    2- Jellybeans in a ziplock bag in the other pocket.

docrobster
    Free Member

Lol
    The other week when the snake pass was shut we met a guy pushing his road bike back to glossop. This was at about hagg farm area. Seemed to not have a tube or had not been able to get his spare to inflate. Thought his pump was faulty. Had checked inside his tyre he said.
    My mate donated a tube. Wouldn’t hold air, tried 2 of our pumps. No joy.
    Just before he took my brand new bought that morning tube off me, my other mate checked the tyre.
    Large thorn poking through, about to eat it’s 4th tube of the day.
    Funnily enough the tyre stayed up after it had been removed.
    Yep. Punctures can soil your day.

I run tubeless, spare tube, pump, quick link and multi tool when on the mtb.

belugabob
    Free Member

Luckily I was rescued by a passing enduro-ista who lent me some air and a tube. Thank you that man.

I hope you took his address – so that you could post the air back to him, when you’d finished with it.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Minimalists – you're all b*st*rds’ is closed to new replies.