Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Minimalist running shoes
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, I know, fad, gullible marketing fool etc blablabla, not interested in any of that.

My current shoes (NB Minimus) are pretty thin and it might be time to replace since there’s a big depression under the toe now and I seem to get blisters. so I’ve had a look around and they don’t seem to make anything similar nowadays. Has the industry given up on the really thin soled kind? Most now just seem to look like flat versions of normal shoes.

To be honest, all I want is no or nearly no drop, a sole that’s not too obtrusive, and space for my feet to spread out. Anyone got any recommendations? Fad or otherwise, it’s a style I’ve got used to, although I could probably use a smidge more padding.

perchypanther
    Free Member

A pair of Verruca socks? 😉

nickc

brooks made some nice ones, and I think Innov8 made some pretty low soled shoes. (FWIW I got on well with the Brooks and not so well with the Innov8)

Haven’t looked at these sorts of shoes for a bit though, so it’s probably all changed

molgrips
    Free Member

Not that minimal 🙂

I wear some Innov8 trail shoes as normal shoes and they’e lasted very well and fit well. They aren’t that great for running in though, but that might be because of the knobbles on the sole – they aren’t designed for tarmac.

They only seem to have one actual road shoe now though.

zilog6128

I really like my Merrell Bare Access. Got a few pairs. Nice and roomy in the toe box.

molgrips
    Free Member

Merrell Bare Access

They look great.

funkmasterp

Vivo Barefoot do the best range IMO. Proper minimalist soles and well made. I used to use a combination of them, five fingers and actually going barefoot.

Lems make a good pair of boots for going off the beaten track too. Might be a bit overkill for running though. There is a website called birthday shoes that reviews a large selection of minimalist footwear. Might be worth checking them out

It’s not a fad. Shoes, they’re the fad when it comes to walking and running 😉 apart from work, cycling or climbing I go barefoot for most of the year. For me wearing shoes is akin to walking around with Boxing gloves permanently attached to your hands. Shoes, prisons for your feet!

mogrim

Skechers Go Run 5 – they’ve long since lost that huge midfoot thing they used to have. 4mm drop, decent cushioning, nice bit of space in the toe box, neutral, very light and cheap.

Edit: “decent cushioning” -> some protection but it’s a long way from being a heavy duty trainer. Review here: http://www.runningshoesguru.com/2017/02/skechers-gorun-5-review/

perchypanther
    Free Member

If the run you posted on Strava last night is anything to go by you should be wearing these…..

nickc

yeah sorry, these were (from memory) F195 talon flites? upper based on the X-talon 212 but with a road sole

they were fast but uncomfy for anything over 12-15 miles or so

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I bought some Converse Chuck Taylors for my minimalist running.

molgrips
    Free Member

If the run you posted on Strava last night is anything to go by you should be wearing these…..

Go on, mock me. I’m an easy target.

12-15 miles

lolz

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone tried the Vivi barefoot ones?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Go on, mock me. I’m an easy target.

Was referring to the location and the likelihood of actual combat rather than your prowess.

colonelwax
    Free Member

dunno what these are like Altra shoes but had a look in a running shop at a few pairs. Zero drop, “foot shaped”, may be a bit too padded but might fit the bill?

I’ve worn some Merrell trail gloves, wide barefoot style shoes. They just made my legs hurt so I wear normal running shoes now (Nike Pegasus) and Innov 8’s for off road, Trail Rocs have been OK for hard surfaced running (Snowdon Race) and are minimal-ish.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Anyone tried the Vivi barefoot ones?

Yes, although a few years ago. Lovely shoes, lovely to run in.

nickc

how far are you running in these, perhaps the Innov8 might be for you after all?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What about some Newtons Molly?

Zero drop but not silly enough to have removed all the cushioning.

funkmasterp
    molgrips
    Free Member

Was referring to the location and the likelihood of actual combat rather than your prowess.

Oh, lol.. well I’m shit at running as well as route planning 🙂

I’d thought I was in the nice parts of Glasgow this time…

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Vivobarefoot are excellent but they are really wide and the extra room has given my toes space to spread so much I now find H fitting shoes too narrow.

dragon
    Free Member

Just look for any shoe that is labelled as a ‘racing flat’, all the big brands do them.

I currently swap between old versions of the Saucony Kinevra and the Fastwitch, but other brands are available.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Have you looked at Vibrams? My better half bought a couple of pairs a few years ago, with individual toes at the front, very weird!

funkmasterp

Vivobarefoot are excellent but they are really wide and the extra room has given my toes space to spread so much I now find H fitting shoes too narrow

They seem to have narrowed the toebox slightly over the last couple of years. The newer models look a bit less clown like and more like a normal shoe, but crucially still have plenty of room for your toes to do their thing.

The Merrell Trail Glove range, if still available, are also really good. My last pair lasted two years and were thoroughly abused. They have a bit of support, but still have a zero heal to toe drop.

I like vibram five fingers, but tended to run a bit too heavily in them for some reason. Bloody brilliant for doing squats in though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Vivobarefoot are excellent but they are really wide and the extra room has given my toes space to spread

This sounds like it might help me. How much padding is there?

VFFs don’t fit me at all.

funkmasterp

No padding at all in most models. Their site gives pretty good information for individual models. There is a link further up the page, but I’m thinking you may have blocked my posts so you won’t see this!

lovebadger
    Free Member

Tried Vivobarefoot but not enough padding for mountains/rocks, lots of sore feet and bruisng. I use Altra now and have road and trail versions. Great padding and zero drop too. Lots of room in them, especially good if you like longer distances. Not always easy to get hold of though 🙁

Edukator
    Free Member

Madame gets on well with Hoka,

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Mate of mine has some Altra’s very wide, zero drop, but they literally fell apart doing the 3 Peaks last week !

Inov8 do a few minimalist type shoes, I’ve always found them really comfy, but not cushioned enough for dry trails

allyharp

I’ve had a few of relevance, though I don’t use any of them for running! All experiences are based on everyday walking.

Merrell Trail Glove (1st version). I’ve had 2 pairs of these and they’re very comfortable, the name “glove” is apt. I’ve worn through the rubber on the heel on both pairs fairly quickly though (might be related to how often I wear them). Very lightweight. Looks wise they’re my favourite of the bunch. Generally the soles offer decent protection, but trails with particularly sharp rocks can cause some mild discomfort (presumably this even worse if you’re running in them). I’ll buy again if I come across some for <£50.

Merrell Bare Access Trail GTX. Haven’t worn these as much, but they have a much grippier sole than above and offer a lot more protection. Because they’re thicker they don’t mould to your feet, so aren’t as comfortable and feel a bit “flat” and rigid. Decent for hiking. The heaviest of the ones I’m listing here.

Vivobarefoot Stealth II. Very wide, and they’re comfortable, but not as hugging as the Trail Glove. The sole feels thinner, and you can feel the concrete more easily. The feel like they have the least drop of the lot, though I’m not sure if that’s correct. You can remove the insoles to save weight, but even when doing so they’re still heavier than the Trail Gloves

Haglofs LIM Low. My new favourite. These are the lightest of the bunch and it’s impressive how comfortable they are given those compromises. The soles are thick and “cushioned” so they don’t give you the barefoot feel if that’s what you’re after, but that does mean they’re probably the most comfortable of the lot. Haven’t had them long enough to tell if how durable they are.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Altras here, also to replace my tired old Minimus – best canoe shoes ever fwiw (so I’ve retired them from running, to eke out their useful life)

I got the altra ‘superior’, they’re nice and wide, the sole is a bit thicker than the minimus, which does help with the local pointy rocks.

The toe box is a bit short, which is a concern, but I haven’t lost a toenail yet…

spot
    Free Member

merrel road glove

or if you want to go for a really thin sole, the vapor glove

woffle
    Free Member

I wore out a pare of Vivo Barefoot’s when I was running many more miles than I do now. Thought they were grand TBH.

(I rotated them with 2 pairs of NB Minimus that I was slowly wearing through the sole. They were my favourites – back before they started messing around with the design 🙁 . )

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

This is the Altra that fell apart….

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

no cushioning in the Vivos at all apart from the insole (3mm of foam rubber) which I normally don’t use.

I only use the insoles in winter, on the bike with flat pedals(the feeling of the pins sticking into flesh was not nice) and on trails where the rocks are sharp and that awkward size where you can’t avoid landing on a point.

molgrips
    Free Member

they don’t give you the barefoot feel if that’s what you’re after

Not exactly sure what it is that I like about my NB Minimus. I’ve run a bit in the Innov8 shoes that have no drop but a similar sole to a normal shoe and I don’t like it, but I’m not exactly sure why.

I think it’s that the padding depresses in the middle so my foot can’t spread out. I don’t think I need to feel the tarmac, so a bit of padding will be ok. I think it’s flatness and width to let my (quite wide) foot spead.

allfankledup

Mrs doesn’t use absolute minimal shoes – but neutral, minimal drop shoes she keeps on buying wave riders

funkmasterp

don’t think I need to feel the tarmac, so a bit of padding will be ok. I think it’s flatness and width to let my (quite wide) foot spead.

The Merrell glove range sound like your best bet. Just enough support and padding where you need it. They are kind of a minimalist transition shoe IMO. You’ll feel everything through the Vivo.

I only use the insoles in winter, on the bike with flat pedals(the feeling of the pins sticking into flesh was not nice) and on trails where the rocks are sharp and that awkward size where you can’t avoid landing on a point.

I can’t handle them on the bike, even with insoles. You must have soles like a Hobbit 🙂

Keva
    Free Member

merrell gloves and Vibram Speeds are both the most comfortable things I have ever put on my feet. Wore the Merrells through the sole and until they literally fell apart. I’m looking for another pair of Merrels but it looks like the designs have changed and I’m not sure they’re the same fit as they once were. Nowhere I know seems to sell them so can’t try a pair on. I might have to just see if I can get another pair of the originals off the ‘net as they’re so good. The only thing with both pairs is you will get wet feet when it rains.

I tried on a few pairs of Vivo a while back and they were nothing like the merrells. It felt like the sole was made of some sort of rigid pastic, didn’t get on with them at all.

funkmasterp

Those are the exact models and colours of vibram and Merrell that I had / have. Both great shoes. My Vibrams refuse to die, although the soles are getting there after five years.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Minimalist running shoes’ is closed to new replies.