Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Minimalist running shoes
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Just kidding 🙂

Not wishing to start another argument, just posting about my new shoes. I’d been using the ‘trail’ version of NB minimus, but I’ve never been particularly comfortable in general running. I just thought it was me. But I was wondering about the ‘road’ version of the same shoes, so I emailed them and they were very specific that the trail shoes were not good for road use.

So I got some of these:

Minimus zero v2, and they were fantastic. Did 10k last night without anything hurting, and feeling really comfortable. Never thought I’d be comfortable doing 10k!

BadlyWiredDog

What are the main differences between the road and the trail shoes then? Other than the delightful colour scheme obviously…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

…are subject to more hype and marketing BS than MTB tyres

Lots of minimalists shoes ex-hype available for £30ish from sports direct etc or pay a>£100 for the packaging and the pseudo science

But I am with you as I tend to favour flatter shoes eg Asics DS racer or trainer.

molgrips
    Free Member

I went for these due to the vibram sole, thinking it would be hard wearing, and the fit is absolutely amazing. And because I had faith in the previous versions. £80

What are the main differences between the road and the trail shoes then?

More softer padding.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Great shoes for running in. Tend not to last overly long though. The soles and the toe box isn’t particularly hard wearing. I have a pair of these and they are a massive improvement. http://www.runandbecome.com/Shop-Online/Mens-Running-Shoes/Trail/New-Balance-MT1010B2-(D)

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I’m using a pair of these:

Inov8 F-lite 195

Basically a road/gym version of the Mudclaws. I changed to them from a pair of massive Nike jobs which gave me terrible hip pain. They took a bit of adapting to (sore calves for a few runs) but now they feel great. Hip pain pretty much gone. Only drawback is the very soft soles, but I’ll take the occasional bruised foot over biomechanical problems any day.

molgrips
    Free Member

I like those.

Duffer
    Free Member

Glad you’re enjoying your new ‘uns! I use a pair of Merrell Trail Gloves myself:

I really like them, although there’re really designed for use in drier climes – they were pretty well useless in last winters’ Cross Country season, especially considering that the rest of the field were all using spikes or fell shoes! They get used for all my running, both road and trail. In fact, my old ‘conventional’ trainers really hurt the outsides of my feet now, so i can’t run in them.

BadlyWiredDog

More softer padding.

Do you mean cushioning under the foot or elsewhere? I’ve run with Trail Gloves and FiveFingers off road, but I couldn’t hack them on pavements and they were harsh descending on rocky stuff, nowt worse than a sharpish rock in the instep at speed – ouch 😐

molgrips
    Free Member

The cushioning seems to be evenly distributed across the whole sole but it’s still only maybe 10mm ish thick. They are definitely much less minimal than Five Fingers and the like – they are actually shoes, rather than a rubber covering, but there isn’t any foot support as such. And there’s no squishy cushion for your foot to sink into.

The trail ones had a slightly thinner but harder covering – this was (somewhat) better at stopping stones when offroad, but the little bit of cushioning really helps on road.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Love the flites above though tend to wear a hole in the side of them pretty quickly.

Basically a road/gym version of the Mudclaws

<dork>
    I think the order was something like xtalon 190 becomes flite 195 by changing the outsole which has now become the roclite 243 by changing the outsole again and sticking on a toe bumper.
    </dork>

nickc

Those F195 caused me no end of issues running and are now “solely” (see what I did there) for the gym

Horses for courses on the running shoe choice innit

molgrips
    Free Member

Absolutely. I’m just sharing experiences.

BadlyWiredDog

Interesting – thanks for that. I tend to use Salomon Crossmax for door to trail stuff and fell shoes for more purely off-road unless it incorporated endless flags…

Have you considered Hoka One, no underfoot structure but an awful lot of EVA cushioning 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah I think your foot should at least do SOME work 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Minimalist running shoes’ is closed to new replies.