• This topic has 47 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Gunz.
Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Minimalist roadie multi-tool with chain tool?
  • mashr

Well this is a zombie thread and a half!

momo

Only one annoying thing – whilst checking what tools I actually need on my road bike – I noticed that the pads on the (Shimano) disc callipers are retained by a bolt which needs a flat blade screwdriver and the tool only has a philips – so I can’t change the pads with the multi-tool – not that I’ve ever changed pads mid-ride anyway but still…

Shimano MTB callipers use a 2.5/3mm hex bolt instead of the flat blade, I switched the retaining pins in my road callipers to MTB ones for this very reason. Although, probably a moot point as I don’t carry spare pads on the road bike. 4000km into ownership of the current bike and no real signs of wear to the pads yet, it’s not like MTB where you can be riding through grinding paste on a wet day.

swdan
    Free Member

Haha, hadn’t noticed how old it was when I posted my reply. Hope the OP has sorted it now or that’s some next level procrastination…

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Back in the early to mid 90’s I remember carrying a teeny anodised green chain tool that had an “L” shaped Allen key with 3mm and 4mm sizes that slid through the body of the tool, it was pretty much all the tool we needed at the time and I can’t remember what it was called?

Chainpup?
    Still got mine and it still works.

#threadresurrection

whatgoesup

Blimey!

I posted the OP a couple
    Of years ago. I went for a Lezyne SV10 as recommended in the third reply.

It’s great by the way – small, light, lots of features and well through out plus the shape is such that is sits
    Nicely in a jersey pocket – definitely recommended.

DT78
    Free Member

Timely as I’m thinking about a new one.

New bike seems to have a number of torq bolts – t10 for grips, t25 for stem and probably others too, as well as allen key. All my multitools are allen only.

So what multi tool covers common torq and allen and is tiny/lightwieght?

whitestone
    Free Member

I was about to post a response and the power went out – 2hr power cut, ah well!

I was going to mention Fixit Sticks. Basically two pieces that slot together to make a T-shaped handled tool. I got one the other week in 3 Peaks Cycles in Settle in a sale for a tenner, 3, 4 & 5mm Allen key and a Phillips screwdriver, plastic holder to mount under bottle cage. Without the holder the two “sticks” weigh 50g.

fixit stick

There are more advanced versions that have swappable standard bits held in place by magnets so you can make up a set to suit your bike. They also do a chain tool to go with the handles.

Having said all that, the first and only time I’ve used it so far is to mount it on the road bike! So I’ve no long term feedback on how good or otherwise it is.

Gunz
    Free Member

Just a note on the cheap Planet X tools. You have to take out the main securing bolt at either end and loctite them otherwise you end up with an interesting multi-tool puzzle after a few miles on a bumpy road.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJOB9F/jobsworth-11-function-multitool

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Minimalist roadie multi-tool with chain tool?’ is closed to new replies.