• This topic has 47 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Gunz.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Minimalist roadie multi-tool with chain tool?
  • whatgoesup

I have a weighty Lezyne number which is great and very comprehensive etc, but complete overkill for the road bike.

I’d like a very small compact alternative- easier for saddle bags, pockets etc – I think a 3,4 mm allen key, crosshead and flat screwdriver covers enough needs, but I’d also like a chain tool which seems to be rare on minimalist tools. It doesn’t have to be easy to use – as it’s (hopefully) only ever going to be used once to check it out in the garage.

What’s the STW go-to minimalist roadie multi-tool with a chain tool?

simondbarnes

Get one of those Specialized top cap chain tools and pair it up with a small multitool?

superleggero
    Free Member

You may get some people coming on here recommending a Topeak Hexus.

I’ll get in first with a +1

dovebiker

Lezyne SV10 or SV11 – I have used the chaintool in anger and it was good. Stainless steel keeps it staying clean. Hexus is a rusty lump in comparison – have one too.

whatgoesup

I’ve got an older version of the SV11 I think – need smaller !

jonnyboi

Sv10 only weighs 100g ffs! 😉

ianfitz
    Free Member

The hexus is way heavier than the sv10.

Not minimal at all.

TiRed

SKS CT-Workx if you must have a chain tool, Bit-Worx otherwise.

I have an SKS microtool that is truly tiny and just enough for simple tasks. I don’t break chains, but do sometimes need tyre levers 😉

And +1 for Hexus 2. It’s my workshop chain tool

whatgoesup

Weighed my lezyne (geeky I know) – it’s 150g. Its not weight I’m looking to save so much as size – it takes up a lot of space in small saddle bags etc

neilthewheel

FAbric do one called the 16.

egb81
    Free Member

If you’re out on the road and 30miles from home then it’s madness not to carry a chain tool and link.

5lab

why not just carry a split link instead? much lighter than a tool, much quicker and cheaper too

IvanDobski
    Free Member

The Topeak Ninja range is pretty minimalist.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I have the Super B 18-in-1 multi-tool and it’s pretty small I reckon.

wiggles
    Free Member

why not just carry a split link instead? much lighter than a tool, much quicker and cheaper too

how do you remove the broken bit of chain to fit the split link?

Specialized EMT pro MTB is great, very light 104g (hollowed out tools) and very flat so takes up little space in saddle bags etc. The road specific ones lacks a chain tool IIRC so the mtb is the better option.

orangeboy
    Free Member

As at the start of the thread. Spesh top cap chain tool part of there swat range.

Then what ever tiny tool you want

Or you could use the Spesh bottle cage mounted tool and save more space , but I don’t like the look of it so just use there the chain tool

whatgoesup

That planet x one looks good – has anyone got one and actually used it (specifically the chain tool?)

Same question re rhe specialized top cap chain tool – does it actually work?

frood
    Free Member

How about the mt zoom multi tool? Do you really need a flat head screw driver?
    84g for the allen keys, phillips and chain splitter. Plus 3 spanners and 4 spoke keys
    mt zoom

mattbee

I’ve got a couple of those PX ones. The Allen keys are a bit cheap and nasty but ok in an emergency. The chain tool worked fine on an 11spd road chain. (I tried it on an old chain).
    I carry just the chain tool but alongside a Topeak Mini 6 so I’ve got better quality tiny Allen keys.

lunge

Have a look at the Crank Brothers jobs, I can’t remember the model but I have one that’s not too heavy, not too big and also has a chain tool that actually works.

spursn17
    Free Member

+1 for the MT Zoom

Used it in anger and it worked fine.

emanuel
    Free Member

had something lke this a while back, not great but does the job

slowster
    Free Member

For a road bike, if it’s kept in generally good condition and well maintained, I think you can reasonably get away with a lot less in terms of size/leverage/capability of tools – and even quality – than you should take for off road riding.

I think the best answer to the chain tool question in that case is to have a separate chain tool, probably something like the Park CT6, and combine it with your preferred multi-tool, which will give you a lot more choice of tools. For sheer simplicity, I like the Park MT1, which has no moving parts, and the socket wrenches are handy for things like SKS mudguard bolts.

cheers_drive

I have the Mt zoom one, never used the chain breaker in anger but it’s nice and small. Allen keys are good but you may struggle to get enough torque to undo some bolts.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

how do you remove the broken bit of chain to fit the split link?

I’d assume the logic is that it’s ‘always’ the thinner outer plates that break, except my only broken chain also twisted a set of inner plates so I needed to remove it before I could use a split link.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

First reply nailed it.

onandon
    Free Member

Hadn’t seen that MT Zoom before – perfect for what I need.purchased.

If you want the smallest chain tool, see if you can find a Topeak TRK-T029. it will need to be used with a hex but it’s super small.

whatgoesup

Thanks all – some great information above.

That topeak TRK-T029 does look tiny – but needs 2 x 4mm allen keys to use it so it would need to pair up with both a mini-tool and an additional allen key.

I’m liking the idea of a Specialized top cap chain breaker combined with a minimalist tool. The Mt Zoom one looks good too – maybe a bit “pointy” to go in a jersey pocket though?

I do have a park CT-5 “mini brute” that if you take the “bar” out (or lose it as I did) is quite small – you can then use the mini-tool set to turn the pin. That held on to a minimalist tool with elastic band / electrical tape might actually work – will give that a go before spending $$$

kcal

also had the Ritchey tool, not bad actually — good to chuck in just in case..

cloudnine
    Free Member

Lezyne v10

djglover
    Free Member

Brilliant that Spesh tool

With that and roadie tubeless I only need to take a drink / food & waterproof on any ride!

johnnystorm

The Mt Zoom one is great. I love mine. Couldn’t tell you where I’ve put the bloody thing though!

onandon
    Free Member

Ordered the MT zoom tool yesterday at 2.00 and it arrived in this mornings post.

It’s a great little tool and super helpful that the hex keys are removable so are totally useable. Great for seat adjustments etc

whatgoesup

After some procrastination I managed to lose my “old” lezyne, so a new one was needed anyway.

I bought a Lezyne SV10 in the end – it’s tiny and light – perfect. I can “just” achieve the 15NM for the saddle clamp – the highest torque bolt on the bike apart from the pedals (and they’re never going to be multi-tool territory…)

Only one annoying thing – whilst checking what tools I actually need on my road bike – I noticed that the pads on the (Shimano) disc callipers are retained by a bolt which needs a flat blade screwdriver and the tool only has a philips – so I can’t change the pads with the multi-tool – not that I’ve ever changed pads mid-ride anyway but still…

somafunk

In 30+ years of riding mtbs (if my muddy fox explorer back when I was 14 could be considered an mtb) I’ve never had to use a multi tool on my own bike due to a mechanical issue, fixed a fair number of other folks bikes mind you.

I sometimes carry my Topeak mini 20 pro, it has a very small removable chain tool that you could use.

Back in the early to mid 90’s I remember carrying a teeny anodised green chain tool that had an “L” shaped Allen key with 3mm and 4mm sizes that slid through the body of the tool, it was pretty much all the tool we needed at the time and I can’t remember what it was called?

tlr

I bought the mt zoom one as recommended above – I’ve already used the chain tool to single speed a mates road bike when he snapped his hanger, and the spoke key to make another mates road bike rideable after a spoke breakage. I’m impressed! A couple of other Allen key sizes and a flat head and it’d be perfect.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Silca Italian Army knife

madmechanist
    Free Member

Realistically 3,4,5,6,8mm Allen key, ph2 screwdriver, chain tool, 8mm spanner(if you use mudguards or racks) and torque socket(topeak to a preset driven by a 5mm Allen key) for carbon frames, spoke wrenches.

Anything else is a walking home job anyway

Just ordered my mt zoom tool and looking foward to minimizing my kit.. Love my fix it sticks mtb kit but it’s big and heavy..

swdan
    Free Member

Depends on what you class as minimalist I suppose but I second the Topeak mini 20 pro linked to above

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Minimalist roadie multi-tool with chain tool?’ is closed to new replies.