Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Minimalist mountain biking – Anyone managed it?
  • kudos100
    Free Member

Since rediscovering mountain biking about 5 years ago, I’ve gone from riding a rigid retro bike with a helmet and water bottle, to (at worst) 5 bikes, tons of clothing, lights, spare parts, mobi washer, camelbak etc……..

I’ve realised that the obsession with gear and bikes has taken some of the fun out of it, and I’m trying to get back to one bike and minimal kit.

Anyone managed to become a minimalist mountain biker, after an unhealthy N+1 and gear habit? (I am aware this kind of talk is heresy on STW 😆 )

molgrips
    Free Member

Just pull yourself together. You don’t need to be obsess or give yourself a label. Decide what you need and what you want. You sound a bit obsessive, so you’ll go from obsessing over gear to obsessing over minimalism.. am I right? 🙂

Esme
    Free Member

I really enjoyed a recent ride where I forgot my backpack, containing Camelbak, snack, first aid kit, repair kit (inc tube and pump), phone and waterproof 😀

kudos100
    Free Member

Just pull yourself together. You don’t need to be obsess or give yourself a label. Decide what you need and what you want. You sound a bit obsessive, so you’ll go from obsessing over gear to obsessing over minimalism.. am I right?

No, you are talking out of your arse 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

I take tube, pump, multi tool, drink, and optionally something to eat and spare layer of clothing. That’s all I need, it’s all you need too 🙂

franki
    Free Member

I’ve realised that the obsession with gear and bikes has taken some of the fun out of it

Happened to me a few years ago and I’ve been on a rigid SS MTB ever since. Clearly not for everyone, but it worked for me.

rocketman
    Free Member

Rarely take any food or water these days eating and drinking while riding is a massive con ime

Just enough tools and tie wraps to save a walk

Never take any spare clothing

thomthumb
    Free Member

yes get into road biking and suddenly you have less mtbs and more roady stuff. 🙄

kudos100
    Free Member

Happened to me a few years ago and I’ve been on a rigid SS MTB ever since. Clearly not for everyone, but it worked for me.

Don’t think I could go that far, but one bike for everything is the idea.

cakefacesmallblock

For the last years 40 years I’ve only ever had one bike. No the same bike, but owned only one at a time.
    In 2008, mountain biking became my main interest, having spent countless hours in previous years, driving in pursuit of decent windsurfing conditions.
    To suit the mix of riding I enjoy, I bought a Trance. It was used for everything from local forest days out, to big epics, with a little trail centre stuff and some mountain mayhem laps chucked in for good measure.
    I replaced it this spring, with a newer model of the same bike, bit longer, bit slacker, bit more travel.
    Bit more ” all marketing” , I suppose, but I like it and it will do everything I need it to.

A fortnight back, I bought a bloody fatbike. A simple steel framed Genesis. I like it.
    Sure it might not be the go to choice for some of the places I ride, but it’s fun.

That said, the dilemma for later this afternoon, is which bike to take for a couple of hours in the woods ?
    Fifteen days ago, there would have been no such issue.
    x=n+1 : It’s a slippery slope and I’m not certain I want to be on it !
    😉 😳

fatboyjon

I’ve been into MTB’s for 30 years and only had one bike during my first couple of years of riding. Since then, I’ve had as many as ten and currently have 5 MTB’s and 2 road bikes. There are days when any of the bikes is the most suitable and I love riding them all.

About 4 years ago I started thinking I only needed one and built up a Surly Karate Monkey with a set of MTB wheels, a set of touring wheels and a rear single speed wheel to match the MTB front, rigid and suspension forks, drop bars, risers and a Jones bar for it and it was good at everything I asked of it from long road miles to local (mostly Dark Peak) mountain biking and even a few MTB events. The problem was that every time I wanted to just grab it and head out, it wasn’t in the set up I wanted for that ride on that day so it went the way of so many other bikes and got replaced.

One bike will work for people who like to do the same kind of riding for the majority of the time or are happy to compromise on some rides as the bike is perhaps not the ideal one for that day and that ride.

At the end of the day, it’s no bad thing to have choice. Unless you’re a serial ditherer.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I sold all my bikes once…..that was fairly minimalist.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I really enjoyed a recent ride where I forgot my backpack, containing Camelbak, snack, first aid kit, repair kit (inc tube and pump), phone and waterproof

you put your camelbak inside another backpack ?

NormalMan

molgrips – Member
    I take tube, pump, multi tool, drink, and optionally something to eat and spare layer of clothing

Pretty much the same plus a couple of reusable zip ties.

plumber
    Free Member

SS Rigid bike – enough clothes to keep me decent – shoe – no lid or anything else

I had to walk home one because of a puncture but otherwise It been plain sailing

whitestone
    Free Member

Only ever had one MTB at a time. If I want to go mountain biking then that’s the one I choose. Likewise, I’ve one road bike.

tthew

I very rarely spend my own money on bike stuff these days, not that I ever really had a massive consumerist habit. I just ask for stuff as presents on birthdays or Christmas.

I’ve got more than one bike, but the next time one gets knackered (FS MTB most likely) I’ll probably just put some suspension forks on the rigid 29er and go down to one.

40mpg

I like to ride and take just whats needed for the job in hand, so could be described as minimal.

To achieve this I have:
    6 sets of cycling clothes for different conditions
    4 pairs of cycling shoes
    3 different sets of lights
    2 helmets
    3 pairs of glasses, all with at least 3 lenses
    and, um about 6 bikes I think? 😳

Yes – training road bike, sunny sunday road bike, rigid singlespeed, ti hardtail, full susser (another Trance) and a fatbike.

Could still do with a cross bike and a + tyred bike

teasel
    Free Member

Yep. Used carry far too much and wear totally inappropriate clothing. Now wear just Lycra carrying this in a small saddle pack…

Usually carry a bidon on the frame and a phone in the jersey pocket. Food is time and distance dependent but never any extra clothing, just arm or leg warmers.

I used to be much more gnar etc but find this approach more to my liking now I’m not a fat ****.

jonba
    Free Member

On a 3 hour road ride I take 2 bottles. One contains water, the other a few spares. Pack about the same into my camelback when I go out.

Changing bikes means I pack for each trip anyway so make an effort not just to accumulate rubbish in my rucksack.

Never ride without at least a tube and pump as I can cycle a lot faster than I can walk home. On big trips out into the moors it is wise to carry enough to be safe but still keep the weight down.

teasel
    Free Member

Never ride without at least a tube and pump

Dead right. I forgot to add that they’re on my frame, too.

Also forgot to add I don’t ride mountains.

molgrips
    Free Member

Used carry far too much

I still think you’re carrying too much. Don’t need that CO2, or the wipes, and what’s that valve adapter for? Get a pump that does both.

teasel
    Free Member

I like CO2 for when it’s tipping down, so that’s staying. The wipes are for cleaning a wound if I don’t fancy turning towards home immediately after an off, so they’re staying and that ‘valve adapter’ fits onto a pump that doesn’t have the correct release button jobbie to stop the valve unwinding and I’m not forking out for a new one, so that’s staying.

Anything else…?

molgrips
    Free Member

Aren’t you running tubeless?

The wipes are for cleaning a wound if I don’t fancy turning towards home immediately after an off

I’ve never done that!

Anything else…?

Yes – the crocodile clip and the pink thing. Also what are the screwdrivers for?

teasel
    Free Member

Aren’t you running tubeless?

Yep

I’ve never done that.

Wounds get infected quicker than you think if there’s dirt in them. Seems a picky point considering the lack of weight or space they take up.

…the crocodile clip and the pink thing. Also what are the screwdrivers for?

Crocodile clip is my miniature pliers to help me undo my valves should I need to release them on the trail. They seem to get stuck with sealant so a very big help.

What pink thing and what screwdrivers…? All I see is a valve removal tool – very light and holds everything in place in that plastic case (invaluable for a quiet ride) and the ‘screwdrivers’ is the anchovy application tools.

Anything else or are you just being a dick…?

swanny853

that ‘valve adapter’ fits onto a pump that doesn’t have the correct release button jobbie to stop the valve unwinding and I’m not forking out for a new one, so that’s staying

You could swap it for this, it’s smaller (assuming that’s a lezyne pump hose). Mine lives in the bottom of my bag in case my pump decides to be a pain.

My bag is probably over packed because I really dislike walking home/getting a lift. I also ride in groups a lot and it’s very useful to be able to keep someone on a ride!

Out locally I have one of those alpkit pouches that fits in a jersey pocket, holds a pump, one C02, multitool, puncture kit, a couple of spare chain links for the singlespeed and some zip ties. Tube goes in saddlebag, bottle on frame.

I’m probably missing something obvious, but what is the croc clip for?

teasel
    Free Member

assuming that’s a lezyne pump hose

It is and I’ll pop down the LBS sometime to see if they have that in stock for further investigation. Thanks.

what is the croc clip for

Pliers. My valves seem to get stuck with sealant and I can’t get enough purchase with my fingers to unscrew them. A nice adaption of a needed tool, I thought. I’ve never had call to use them on the trail yet but they’ll do their job well enough. They probably only weight a few grams, not that I care too much about weight.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I only have one fully rigid bike, I don’t think of it as minimal though.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

double post

molgrips
    Free Member

Anything else or are you just being a dick…?

Wasn’t trying to be a dick, no. You posted it up, you can expect questions about it 🙂

Crocodile clip is a good idea. On epic rides though I bring a multi-tool, as pliers and even a knife have saved the day in the past.

Re the CO2 I puncture so rarely now it’s not worth the hassle for me to bring them – pump is enough.

teasel
    Free Member

Wasn’t trying to be a dick, no. You posted it up, you can expect questions about it

Yep, you’re quite right. My apologies.

I’m newish to tubeless (about 18 months in) and I think I’m still a little over cautious about flats but a gander at the rear tyre the other day confirmed a smattering of thorns that would’ve stopped me. Like I wrote, I carry them for a quick get away if it’s raining but haven’t actually used them on the MTB, only having cause last winter on an early morning road blast. My only experience of tubeless going slightly shit-shaped was on a group ride which would’ve been better served (time wise) with a quick blast of CO2, though obviously that’ll sod up the sealant.

Maybe I’ll leave them at home for a few rides and see how I feel.

Weird you didn’t ask about the black object between the box and the inflator – nitrile gloves for dirty trail repairs and greasy chain breakages; I hate putting dirty hands inside my gloves. Again, never had cause to use them aside from a filthy road ride last winter, which was tube related.

**** tubes!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m confident enough these days on short rides to carry one tube, but I do use two on epics.

I assumed the black thing was one of those super dinky waterproof/windproofs 🙂

Anchovies.. tubeless tyre repairs? I don’t carry anything like that. Listening to other people it seems tyre tears are a thing, but I’ve *never* had one in over 20 years of riding all over the UK, and I’ve only seen one – a mate had his brake block (it was 1996) rub his tyre through due to a rim buckle. So maybe I am tempting fate but I don’t carry them.

Also never needed to remove a valve core, but what I’m more worried about is the tubeless valve getting stuck in the rim if I need to put a tube in. Or was that what you meant with the croc clip?

teasel
    Free Member

Anchovies.. tubeless tyre repairs?

Yeah. I witnessed, or rather, was almost sprayed with sealant from a little nick between the knobbles of the rider in front on one ride (Alx, for those that remember) and the anchovies did a job that nothing else bar a tube would’ve fixed. Although I was on tubes at the time, since switching to tubeless I’ve carried them for that reason alone. It’s minimal weight or space and adds extra security for me – definitely going to keep those for the foreseeable.

I’m more worried about is the tubeless valve getting stuck in the rim if I need to put a tube in.

Thanks. Now I’m worried about that, too. 🙂

Or was that what you meant with the croc clip?

No. Just for the loosening of the valve stop, or whatever the correct nomenclature is for that bit. Again, not used it yet but you just know I’ll need to if I leave it at home. It’d be good for the stuck valve issue you mention, though.

swanny853

That croc clip useage is a brilliant idea, I have been found swearing by the side of the trails attempting to remove a tubeless valve that has had the collar threadlocked on by some errant sealant before. Will have to try

thedude
    Free Member

I’m down to 2 bikes from 5 and now trying to go to one. I have a girlfriend that also rides and it was getting silly. The thing that pushed me over the edge was all the maintenance and a few things all failing on various bikes in a small timeframe. I still have a mega tr 26 and a pinnacle arkose. I’m planning dropping both those and trying a hardtail 29er. The nukeproof scout 29 looks like the one.

jamesoz

For a stuck valve collar out on the trail, try gripping the collar with two parallel tyre levers, squeeze and turn.

cubicboy
    Free Member

I ride with an absolute minimal amount of kit – bottles in cages and the rest in my jersey pockets. I ride quite a bit in the Peaks but also due to a young family and time constraints I ride at Sherwood Pines and Cannock too. As I ride around these trail centres I often want to stop riders and ask what they could possibly be humping around in their MASSIVE backpacks. I find it staggering given that they are so close to civilisation.

roverpig

As I ride around these trail centres I often want to stop riders and ask what they could possibly be humping around in their MASSIVE backpacks. I find it staggering given that they are so close to civilisation.

Probably just habit. Around 90% of my rides are on my own on remote natural trails, so I lug a fair bit of stuff around. If I go to a trail centre I won’t bother removing all the unnecessary stuff from my pack as I’d almost certainly forget to put it back in again.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

All I carry on a typical 2 to 32r mtb ride is one canister of co2, an inflator, can of pit stop if riding tubs or a tube if riding tubeless, keys and phone all in my back pocket. I don’t need food for a ride shorter than 3 hrs. Water I carry in a bottle. I don’t use an backpack just my back pockets. When riding road bikes I carry a similar amount but add food for rides longer than 3 hrs.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

cubicboy – Member
    I ride with an absolute minimal amount of kit – bottles in cages and the rest in my jersey pockets. I ride quite a bit in the Peaks but also due to a young family and time constraints I ride at Sherwood Pines and Cannock too. As I ride around these trail centres I often want to stop riders and ask what they could possibly be humping around in their MASSIVE backpacks. I find it staggering given that they are so close to civilisation.

Ask away. If its me, I may have been to the supermarket and I’m heading home. The fun way.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Minimalist mountain biking – Anyone managed it?’ is closed to new replies.