Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Minigaig Pass – Blair Atholl. Anyone ridden it?
  • tomd
    Free Member

I’m looking at some routes for next weekend. Thinking of heading North Blair Atholl up Glen Bruar, through Minigaig Pass and ending up in Glen Feshie eventually. Has anyone tried it?

It looks like it get high up on the map with some steep sections, just wondering how much of it is rideable. Alternative would be to go via Falls of Tarf but even that isn’t nearly all rideable to Glen Feshie so only worried if the Minigaig Pass is a totally misery festival.

kcr
    Free Member

A few pics, but not much route detail here:
    http://www.edinburghrc.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=15423.0

I rode it in unusually dry conditions, and it was a great route, but if you do a search, you will find ride reports suggesting it can be a bit of a trudge in places under wet/normal conditions.

tomd
    Free Member

Cheers for that, that’s the most optimistic descriptuion I’ve heard. It’s been a reasonable summar so might be more passable than normal. So long as it’s not 6 hrs of dragging a bike through bog while ticks and midges feat I’ll be happy.

scotroutes

It’s easily rideable to the end of the Bruar valley. A push up the steep bit, then ok across the plateau. The start of the descent is fine but you’ll be pushing for a couple of km at the bottom. To get to Feshie, you will have another push up to the top of the forest (ignore the track marked through it). From there it’s a good descent down to the R. Feshie. You can carry on up the West side of the river to meet the tarmac road or cross the river for the nicer riding on the East side.

I was across it a few weeks ago and it was still very, very wet on account of the massive amount of snow we had this winter all melting.

Approach from the south to the summit, then go off piste to the trig point. Join a path which turns into 4WD track.

tomd
    Free Member

Thanks for the info guys, some useful stuff there. I’ll give it a go I think.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Did this route a couple of years ago and agree with what Scotroutes says.

We also saw the 4wd track that dave points out and wished we were on it!

Go and do it, it will take you longer than expected but it will be worth it 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Minigaig Pass – Blair Atholl. Anyone ridden it?’ is closed to new replies.