Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Minidisc
  • crazybaboon

Is there any interest in minidisc now a days?
    I’ve got a Sony Walkman and a Sony minidisc deck and loads of discs including some still sealed up.
    Are these worth anything or just fit for the skips?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I remember them being horrifically expensive, what, 15 years ago? The only advantage was that you could record in them. Then recordable CDs arrived and BOSH. They were dead. Last one I saw was sitting in a dusty corner of a charity shop for £10.
    The Betamax of the music world 🙁

Basil

I got some money from Ebay, but hard to find a buyer.

peterfile
    Free Member

The only advantage was that you could record in them. Then recordable CDs arrived and BOSH.

They still had a good following from (mainly amateur) DJs for quite a while after recordable CDs arrived. It was really easy to connect up a minidisc recorder and record sets – not so easy with CD!

Also, even when you could sit at home and burn CDs, playing them on a CD player while on the move was rubbish compared to a MD.

However it wasn’t too long before flash type media (data sticks etc) took off and they were the most practical of all, killing off the MD completely.

firestarter
    Free Member

I sold my player and discs on ebay went for more than I was expecting

I’ve still got a DCC player (Digital Compact Casette)

YoKaiser
    Free Member

No major interest, if you have the deck that everybody has (JE520) then on a good day on ebay you can get £30+ . Discs don’t attract much, might as well chuck em in with the deck. If your feeling generous see if your local hospital radio or charity station want them, speaking with a guy from work he still uses his to make up playlists, works well due to the instant replay. Can’t help with the Walkman though, maybe stick it away for a decade or two if its in good nick, some people are collecting walkmans now.

rob2
    Free Member

I still use mine and might these off you if it’s not too expensive. I like making mix tapes 🙂

crazybaboon

It’s a mds-je330 deck and a md Walkman MHz-r909 everything works and charges ok
    I’ve 20 odd used discs and 10 still sealed up if you want to make me a offer rob!

stratobiker
    Free Member

I still have mine, and use it quite a lot.

I’ll keep using it until it breaks.

andyl
    Free Member

it was the ipod and other mp3 players that killed the minidisc.

Oh and Sony with their stupid proprietary standard (ATRAC)

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Ive got a practically brand new Panasonic SJ-MR200 mini disk that i only used a handfull of times if anyone wants one cheap? It was £200 new and it comes with a pack of unopened disks iirc … Whats it worth to you?

Northwind

Still used a bit in theatre, my brother took all my kit off me for that but I think most people who want it, have it.

CountZero

I’ve still got my Sony deck, an MDS-JD940; a lovely deck for recording, I picked up an old PC keyboard that plugged into the front so that track details could be added. It was brilliant for recording things like Later… and other live music recorded on satellite, because you could fade the tracks in and out, and set the amount of fade as well. Sony’s obsession with proprietary recording formats that disallowed any copies to be made was a pain. I also had a Sony head unit in my Puma, with a 6-disc multiplayer in the boot.
    I can’t bring myself to get rid of it, I might get rid of my DVD recorder as I never use it and put the minidisc back into my system.
    [edit] Found a review: http://www.minidisc.org/sony_mdsjb940_review_dolan.html

loum
    Free Member

Had one and really rated it for language learning.
    I found being able to alter the speed of a recording when playing it back helped massively for picking out words I couldn’t catch at full pace 1st time. It’s one function that was never replaced for me by ipods/mp3 players.

martinxyz
    Free Member

This thread has made me want to go charge up my battery and see if the Sony minidisc player still works! I have dozens of mix discs with stuff I haven’t heard for a decade or more. If it works,then that’s my winter night riding music collection sorted!

simon_g

Loved the format at the time (even contributed a load of content to minidisc.org) but it was killed off by MP3 players and better digital recorders. Sony took way too long to enable it to do digital transfers from MP3 (I still bought a new recorder once they did) but by then Apple were on to the 2nd/3rd gen iPods and they became ubiquitous.

No real market for it any more so don’t expect much on ebay.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I just love how you could ‘T’ mark sections and delete bits out to make great mixtapes,with stuff you really like without the crap in between or stuff that can be shop friendly with filth ‘T’ marked out. It was a great wee tool. I can’t do any of this on my mp3 player.

avdave2

We have 3 or 4 still at work, they are piled up at the back of the unit with all the other works but no one will ever use it again kit.

andyl
    Free Member

if they had made it able to record, store and play mp3s then it would have lasted a lot longer.

yabzego
    Free Member

hi, i have a pack(unopened)of 10 x 80 sony colour eddition md,s, if anyones interested;
    crazybaboon; was that top allright mate ?

crazybaboon

It’s the lezyne lights that ive bought from you that I’m waiting for yabzego

CountZero

if they had made it able to record, store and play mp3s then it would have lasted a lot longer.

Sadly, never would have happened. Sony are obsessed with proprietary features that no-one else can use, and their ATRAC software was a good example. Their memorystick camera cards another, and don’t get me started on their ludicrous shonky connectors for their phones, which changed from model to model; the connector for a Z600 was completely different to the K750i that followed.
    Shame, because Sony hardware was well built and beautifully designed, generally speaking.

DezB
    Free Member

Just like you, CountZero, can’t bring myself to get rid of my mini disc stuff. Got the same deck too, only in silver.
    Got tons of recordings of radiomixes and compilations from my favourite show of the time (The Breezeblock), so won’t be dumping them for a while yet.
    iPod has taken over most of my listening though.

CountZero

DezB, mine’s silver, not sure they did them in any other colour, tbh. Lovely deck to use, this thread has re-kindled my enthusiasm for the format, I must get the deck back into the system, I have stuff on disc I don’t have anyplace else.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Minidisc’ is closed to new replies.